Thermoelectric Cooling Modules

G

I just bought an AMD 1.33ghz. I have a Vantec Cooler on the chip, a case fan, and a slot fan that blows the air out the back of the system. My CPU temp is still upwards of 160 degrees Fahrenheit (75 celsius?). I just bought one of those thermoelectric cooling modules to try and cool down my system. I would like to know:

1. Has anyone ever used one of these?
2. How did you install it? My directions are a bit "fuzzy"
3. Will this kind of cooling harm the cpu in anyway?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rabidfire
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, man, you really opened up a can of worms.
I assume your speaking of a Peltier device.
You need one that is adequately sized for your system, a heatsink/fan that is adequately sized to remove enough heat from the hot side, an adequate power supply, and some luck. Ask rcf84 what happens when one goes bad!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

The one I have is about the size of a dime.

Rabidfire

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i know this doesn't answer your question but those slot coolers suck. i had one for a while then i stuck my hand back there to see how it was working, hardly any air was moving at all...mabey it was just where i had it. anyway, i tore it appart, striped the wires, stuck them into the leads from the computer's powersuply, taped the wires in place, then taped the fans to the back of my graphics card.

---Cold pizza, cold coffee, and the THG forum...oh the heartburn.---

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
At 160F you have a problem.

Don't start thinking about TECs yet - you'll not get anywhere straight off.

Firstly - what's your system (mobo) temperature and your room temperature? You should have your system temp at no more than 2-5 degrees over your room temperature.

CPU cooling depends, with those temps I hope you are only using the stock cooler. A stock cooler will generally keep the 1.33 around 60 degrees - but this is variable on room temperatures.

If you want to consider the TEC for a 1.33 Athlon you will need:

Cold plate - 1/4" copper plate between the cpu and TEC - this is also known as a heat spreader.
150 watt+ TEC (anything smaller will result in the CPU heating up)
watercooler rig to take the 250W+ of heat away from the TEC - an aircooled heatsink fan will not do this
450W or second PSU to supply the 10A-12A required for the TEC.
Motherboard Monitor coupled with shutdown now! to give some hope of survival should the TEC fail.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

THanks for the input. After reading a bit more on these boards, I think I have discovered my problem. I think my system is underpowered. Ever since going to the 1.33, my system has gotten extremely unstable. I currently have an Enermax 330W Power supply. I originally thought it might be the heat of the system locking it up, which it still might be, but Im nore likely tothink its a weak power supply. Im going to grab a 400W PSU today.

Rabidfire