Yay!! i can upgrade my pc to 1ghz for $141!!!

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I found a buyer who is willing to give me a fair price if i build them a system using most of my parts and buying some new and keeping some. A royal pain but for $141 i can get up to 1ghz i don't see why not. I think i'll get the ABIT kt7 Raid. How is this board??? Here is what my new system will be.

Athlon 1ghz T-bird
ABIT kt7 Raid
Haven't decided on a cooler for the athlon any suggestions??
256mb pc-133 ram
15gb 7200rpm Western Digital HDD
Voodoo3 1000
SB Live Value
3com 905b nic

I think i'll see a huge improvment over my athlon classic 500. Not that the classic was slow or anything but if i can get something twice as fast or more for $141 why not?? Anything i should change?? Other than the Vid card because that will soon be a Radeon 64.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!! :wink: :wink:

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Do you actually need the RAID controllers?

Why not the KT7e, where you can up the front side bus to 133 with no problem and still save money. With the KT7 you're not going to get very far past 110.

That's my only real suggestion... KT7e and a processor with 133(266)mhz bus. Don't forget to try and get one of those Athlons with the new core steppings :) You'll probably be able to get that golden 50% overclock on the 1ghz... can't wait for mine to arrive.

G

Why Voodoo 31000? You can get a cheap GeForce2 MX, for like $43 on pricewatch

G

trust me with a voodoo you will get horrible performance compared to a geforce 2 MX. I bought mine for $90 from best buy, you can find one for half that price.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First of all, get an Athlon "C" 1GHz Thunderird. 2nd, I wouldn't go with the ABit boards, they suck. Get an ASUS A7V133 instead. Also get a better graphics card, you will regret getting a piece of junk Voodoo3.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

G

Suggestion for the heatsink/fan combo as cooler:

Millennium Glaciator - good balance of serious cooling without sounding like the jet engine test bed at Boeing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I'm Supreme Ruler of the Third Planet from the Sun, printer-friendly formats shall be LAW.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Because i have a Voodoo3 now and im gonna upgrade that when i have the $. Nope don't need raid just want it. I'm gettin the abit because its the best mobo that they have in their clearance thing.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Looks really nice but kinda expensive. I'm not planning to o/c it. I'm thinking about either a Taisol or a 1coolpc (formaly 3dfxcool).

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
taisol coolers don't really seem very value-for-money...
in my area, if i just up the price by just a few dollars, i could get a much better cooler than taisols...

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
what's those processors with new steppings...
haven't heard about them, sorry, i'm a country bumpkin :)
are they the AXIA-R???

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
According to the store i'm getting the mobo from it is a quite good cooler, the tai-sol i mean. I noticed that they have the 1.1 cheaper than the 1ghz. So it'll be a 1.1ghz. I still am thinking about the socket aho from 1coolpc. My dad has that and is pleased with it. It is $19 with shipping.

FatBurger

Illustrious
How many coolers do they stock? The less they have, the better then ones they have suddenly become somehow :)

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Here is the website. I don't know how many they stock but this is the only one that has their "5 star rating". It looks like a nice cooler.

http:\\www.jncs.com

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
By the way im not gonna o/c so it doesn't need to be the best cooler out there just something that will keep it cool.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>I have the ABIT-KT7A Raid board now and it is a fine board, unless lightening hits it.

I wonder why you are going with the RAID unless your getting it from egghead - I noticed they were giving them away at $90.

Why go with a 1ghz? A 1.2 is only $10 more. Also, go with the KT7A-RAID with the kt133a chipset and get a 266 cpu. We're talking a considerable performance boost over the KT7-RAID.

About Abit sucking
2nd, I wouldn't go with the ABit boards, they suck. Get an ASUS A7V133 instead
True, ASUS is better, but I am not independately wealthy and appreciate the VALUE Abit is. They do not suck. FIC, PCChips, they suck. Abit is a great value.
<font color=white>(lay off the weed man)<font color=blue>
Now I have heard that the RAID on Abit boards suck b/c they use the highpoint controller (at much much much cheaper component cost btw) but I have not experienced any trouble with it (outide of lightening, again). In fact, my SysSoft benchmark is faster than that I have seen with the Promise (using same hd-IBM 45G Deskstar). I will say that the Promise (much more 'spensive though) has a killer tweaking app with it.

Anyway - buy what you want, but I would go with the mx over the radeon.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I can get a 266fsb 1.0ghz and the KT7-a raid for $30 more. I think i'll do that. Where im getting it the 1.2 is $16 more than the 1ghz. But i still think i'll go with my origional plan and get the 1.0 and the KT7 raid because if i get the top-of-the-line i'll run out of money. I know $30 or $40 isn't alot of money to u but im 14 and my only job is mowing lawns. I'll get the best i can with my money.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Yes grass is a beautiful weed but you'll get more milage from buds :)

"...Abit boards, they suck". Uhhhhh okay, its not like you
just insulted my wife or anything....but may we be as enlightened as you?? Could we get a few empirical bits of data relating just why it is that all the boards I've built up suck??

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!