[S] Help with options/defaults.

Ive been attempting to play around with the options, both in game
through shift-o (Or is it plain o? Dont remember) and by poking about
Defaults and Options with a text editor.

The changes don't seem to save! The only thing that actually saved was
me messing with Autopickup. Uncommenting the one line that makes you
autopickup All gold and that kind of stuff.

I want to be able to show Experience, and weight on the status line.
Damage in the message window, and weight in inventory. I Don't want to
have to go through and toggle this every single time I start a new
game, why wont it save!

Maxwell Armada wrote:

> Ive been attempting to play around with the options, both in game
> through shift-o (Or is it plain o? Dont remember) and by poking about
> Defaults and Options with a text editor.
>
> The changes don't seem to save! The only thing that actually saved
> was me messing with Autopickup. Uncommenting the one line that makes
> you autopickup All gold and that kind of stuff.

Some options stick when you save a game, and some don't.

Those that don't should be set in your defaults.nh file, and can not be
changed in a running game. They will take effect when you start a new
game.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On 25 Jul 2005 12:48:03 -0700
"Maxwell Armada" <Maxwell.Armada@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ive been attempting to play around with the options, both in game
>through shift-o (Or is it plain o? Dont remember) and by poking about
>Defaults and Options with a text editor.
>
>The changes don't seem to save! The only thing that actually saved was
>me messing with Autopickup. Uncommenting the one line that makes you
>autopickup All gold and that kind of stuff.
>
>I want to be able to show Experience, and weight on the status line.
>Damage in the message window, and weight in inventory. I Don't want to
>have to go through and toggle this every single time I start a new
>game, why wont it save!

There is a configuration file... but I don't know how spoiled you want to be. ;-)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Some options stick when you save a game, and some don't.
>
> Those that don't should be set in your defaults.nh file, and can not be
> changed in a running game. They will take effect when you start a new
> game.

I've messed around with defaults.nh and I've gotten it to
do most of what I want. It would be nice to have a write-up
on what each switch does so I can make knowledgible
decisions on the ones I did not touch.

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

> >>Those that don't should be set in your defaults.nh file, and can not be
> >>changed in a running game. They will take effect when you start a new
> >>game.
>
> > I've messed around with defaults.nh and I've gotten it to
> > do most of what I want. It would be nice to have a write-up
> > on what each switch does so I can make knowledgible
> > decisions on the ones I did not touch.
>
> I _think_ there's one in the Guidebook, though I'm not absolutely sure.

There's an abbreviated one in the Guidebook that shows how to
a set a few entries, unless I saved 3.3.1 and 3.4.2 versions
and read the wrong one.

> You might try the help file that paxed wrote for the Nethack WebConf tool:
> http://scavenger.homeip.net/svn/nhwebconf/trunk/help

Fabulous, thanx! I stored a copy.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Some options stick when you save a game, and some don't.
> Those that don't should be set in your defaults.nh file, and can not be
> changed in a running game. They will take effect when you start a new
> game.

And some other options are not saved in the save file, but they are read
from the configuration file also when you restore a saved game, not only
when you start a new one..

--
Jukka Lahtinen

>>Those that don't should be set in your defaults.nh file, and can not be
>>changed in a running game. They will take effect when you start a new
>>game.
> I've messed around with defaults.nh and I've gotten it to
> do most of what I want. It would be nice to have a write-up
> on what each switch does so I can make knowledgible
> decisions on the ones I did not touch.

I _think_ there's one in the Guidebook, though I'm not absolutely sure.
You might try the help file that paxed wrote for the Nethack WebConf tool:
http://scavenger.homeip.net/svn/nhwebconf/trunk/help

Greetings,
Benjamin
--
____ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _____ __ __
/ ___|| | / \ / ___|| | | ( ) ____| \/ |

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> There's an abbreviated one in the Guidebook that shows how to
> a set a few entries, unless I saved 3.3.1 and 3.4.2 versions
> and read the wrong one.

They're *both* out of date.

You may consider upgrading to 3.4.3; everything should be compatible,
including options, saves and bones.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me