Sign in with
Your question

Small smiley face on boot

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:07:28 PM

I'm not sure if this is serious but whenever i boot my computer it runs fine but pauses after the bios and a small grey smiley face appears in the top left of the screen. It doesn't stop me from booting just pauses it, I then have to press a key to continue booting. Should i be worried about this? I'm worried it may be a virus of some sort however i don't see any affect on my computer??? :S
Please help!!

More about : small smiley face boot

a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:12:30 PM

There was a boot sector virus years ago that did that. I would recommend downloading and running a Rescue Disk from either Kaspersky or if you have Norton then you already have one.

I would recommend running either MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware or even both after running the rescue disk scan.
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:23:21 PM

would a upgrade to a better windows 7 do the trick? as I have a a windows 7 ultimate that i am planning to upgrade to soon, if not i shall try your ideas! thank you for the fast reply!
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:29:07 PM

If they are legitimate copies then yes, a format and install should do the trick, however, if they are illegitimate, they are likely the source of your virus in the first place.

And if that is the case which may be likely I should not even have told you in the first place!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:30:54 PM

chugot9218 said:
If they are legitimate copies then yes, a format and install should do the trick, however, if they are illegitimate, they are likely the source of your virus in the first place.

^^+1
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:37:03 PM

DnBvTacTicZz said:
would a upgrade to a better windows 7 do the trick? as I have a a windows 7 ultimate that i am planning to upgrade to soon, if not i shall try your ideas! thank you for the fast reply!

If it is a boot sector issue then yes, it will be fixed. A clean install wipes everything except your CMOS, which is VERY unlikely to be infected.
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:38:46 PM

okay thank you for the quick replies guys:D  im going to try it now and hopefully fix it!
m
l
January 23, 2013 10:56:23 PM

I managed to fix it by doing a clean install of my OS thanks guys!
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:02:43 PM

It is usually a sign of a smithfraud virus variant.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:34:08 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
It is usually a sign of a smithfraud virus variant.

Funny, we were thinking along the same path. I was going to post that earlier but one of my kiddos got hurt.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:36:03 PM

hedwar2011 _Thanks for all the help in the forum we appreciate that!!!!
m
l
!