L1 Bridges

G

What are the advantages to closing the L1 bridges on a duron 750? I'm pretty sure its to allow for further overclocking?

What does closing the L1 bridges "technically" do?
Sorry I'm craving input. : )

I have not closed the L1 bridges on my duron and I'v oc'd it to 802 mhz through the bios, but i haven't tried to get any faster.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Closing the L1 bridges effectively lets you change teh Multiplier (7.5 as for the Duron 750Mhz CPU) so instead of just changing the FSB speed (100Mhz by default for the Duron's) you can change the Multiplier # aswell....
Ex. 7.5*100 = 750Mhz
if you change Multiplier....liek 8.0*100 = 800Mhz
8.5*100 = 850Mhz
9.0*100 = 900Mhz and so on...
Comprendae ??

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

G

SO you can eefectively up the cpu speed by both multiplier and clock speed? Will the fsb depend on RAM quality?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
having both fsb and multiplier unlocked is GOOD, provided u dont screw up the chip while doing it.

Maximum FSB is limited by a number of factors.
1. if your multipliers are locked or not. i.e. a locked duron 800 is highly unlikely to work at fsb 133 (8x133=1066)
2. Cache quality onboard the chip (some durons just refuse to do beyond 110-115
3. your ram frequency, and if it is running asycronously or not. i.e. if you have a fsb 100, and your ram is running at 133, then u overclock your fsb to say 115, then your ram probably will be running at 148mhz, so its gotta be good, unless you set the ram to be sycronus with your fsb. e.g. 115 = 115.
4. PCI/AGP devices and their divider. if your fsb is 100, then the divider is 3. if you go up to 115fsb then your pci devices will be going at 38.3mhz. possible failure there.
for instance with my computer i have a 1200c. with pc150 ram which CAN do 160... but the divider is set to 4. and my pci devices just cant handle 40mhz.
5. quality /batch of your processor. some will do 115fsb. some will only do 105. its life. live with it. (or get a new one)
there. think thats about all of it.

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

IF YOUR MOTHERBOARD DOESN'T HAVE SUPPORT FOR CHANGING THE MULTIPLIER, TRY PENCILING IN THE L6 BRIDGES. SET THE CLOCK SPEED AT DEFAULT, AND GO TO TOM'S HARDWARE ARTICLES THAT LIST THE L6 BRIDGE SETTINGS. IF POSSIBLE, CHANGE THE VOLTAGE TO 1.7 OR 1.75 AND THE L6 BRIDGE TO 9 OR 9.5.

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Uping the voltage gives you better stability. Sometimes lowering it can do the same as with my 1.2 athlon. it likes 1.675 for some reason better than 1.75

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
well, i've heard some people talk about amd chips in which the L1 bridge is not connected at all...
is there such chips???
btw, is an amd without a connected L1 bridge better than those that are connected???
from what i know, the L1 bridge only affect the CPU multiplier, so i don't think it'd make a difference as to whether the L1 is not conneceted, or you pencil it yourself...
but then again, some of those experts in a small hardware forum (i forgot what site is that) said that i'd be better if i could get an amd without connected L1, so it makes me all confused...

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

G

Mine came with no connection for the l1 bridges, i penciled them in.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Alright guys, Some of what ya'll are saying is not making much sense.

<font color=red>
I have not closed the L1 bridges on my duron and I'v oc'd it to 802 mhz through the bios, but i haven't tried to get any faster.
<font color=blue>If the L1 bridges are not connected, you are not overclocking the proc. You may be able to ask it to oc through the bios, but I bet you a duallie amd mobo that when it boots, it reads a proc speed even lower than (or same as) what you bought.

As far as better/worse for a chip coming w/ closed bridges, it is really a non factor. Obviously if you do a piss poor job of crossing the bridges or do it with a hard lead pencil, I guess you would have better luck with the proc that came closed. Another (obvious) advantage is that if you do oc, there is no tamper evidence of the oc (as in graphite residue on the chip).

Most 1.2 or > come closed now and I am pretty sure there aren't any Durons out there connected though.

The model of CPU <i><font color=red>is</i><font color=blue> a factor in the overclockability of the CPU. AXIA's are especially good. (if your wondering AXIA is part of the serial number). The X indicates a later revision tha say W. I imagine later revisions would be better, but who knows. Anyway, I hope that helps.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
open (locked) bridges = not changable in the bios. they loook like this on the die.
: : : : : :
closed (unlocked) bridges = good. able to modify the multiplier in the bios :)
they look like this on the die
| | | | | |

my athie 1200C came from the factory new unlocked :)
and it Too runs happily at 1.65V at 1200.

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Is this the bios setting or the indicated voltage setting? I have mine set at 1.7v by bios and indicated voltage is 1.78v. I am overclocking my 1.2 to 1.4ghz.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that would be 1.65V set,
1.69-1.705 displayed (depending on what u use to show it)

course when i ramp my system up to 9.0 x 150 = 1350 i need a voltage of 1.8 (1.85 shown)