Sign in with
Your question

I keep getting BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:11:44 PM

Hi, guys. Recently I upgraded my machine from Windows XP to Windows 7. Over the last 2 days, it has been crashing at random points (seems to be when it's idling, as when I come back it complains about an unexpected shutdown).

I don't know what's causing this, as when I have seen the bluescreen, it flashes past too fast, and I have no time to read the error description. I don't know whether this could help anyone, but I have the dump files on my desktop if anyone wants me to upload them.

Additionally: One time I was at the computer when this happened, I noticed that the audio suddenly dropped out with a strange popping sound from my headphones (the headphones are fine, I tested them elsewhere and they worked perfectly). Also, the computer suddenly became extremely slow, with the mouse cursor lagging across the screen. I happened to be playing a game at the time, although in the other occurrences I wasn't even at the computer. I have run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, so I don't think it is a virus on my machine.

My system specs are: 3.06GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood, Socket 478), Creative Soundblaster Live! Value, Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 512MB AGP, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, 250W PSU.

So based on this information, I hope you guys can help me solve the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Walkingepidemic

More about : bsod

January 23, 2013 8:14:53 PM

Make sure to download and install all the updates for Microsoft Windows 7
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:17:33 PM

I'd place my bets on the Soundblaster or it's drivers.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 23, 2013 8:19:04 PM

I would say your psu would be the problem. You might want to upgrade your whole system and not invest in such old hardware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:20:28 PM

use whocrashed to read the dump files and it will give you an idea.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 8:27:37 PM

Should have stuck with XP on that hardware. While it does (barely) meet Windows 7 minimums, you'll never be happy with the performance.
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:11:27 PM

Fokissed said:
As far as I can tell, there is no driver for Windows 7 for your sound card. The latest (and only O.o) driver is for XP x64, from 2005.

Link: http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nLan...

No, there was a x86 driver, as I was running it on XP for the last few years. But, yes, it could be that the drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. Thank you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 9:15:18 PM

How did you come across the upgrade from XP to 7?

To my knowledge there isn't a direct upgrade path from XP to 7 due to incompatibilities and potential driver conflicts.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows 7 before attempting to "upgrade"?
Did you perform a "clean reinstall" of the OS eliminating any partitions and formatting them?
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:23:28 PM

hedwar2011 said:
How did you come across the upgrade from XP to 7?

To my knowledge there isn't a direct upgrade path from XP to 7 due to incompatibilities and potential driver conflicts.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows 7 before attempting to "upgrade"?
Did you perform a "clean reinstall" of the OS eliminating any partitions and formatting them?

Yeah, I always do a clean install, in fact i've never had to upgrade, as I always just copy important files onto a USB, and reinstall all my programs.
m
l
!