I keep getting BSOD

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hi, guys. Recently I upgraded my machine from Windows XP to Windows 7. Over the last 2 days, it has been crashing at random points (seems to be when it's idling, as when I come back it complains about an unexpected shutdown).

I don't know what's causing this, as when I have seen the bluescreen, it flashes past too fast, and I have no time to read the error description. I don't know whether this could help anyone, but I have the dump files on my desktop if anyone wants me to upload them.

Additionally: One time I was at the computer when this happened, I noticed that the audio suddenly dropped out with a strange popping sound from my headphones (the headphones are fine, I tested them elsewhere and they worked perfectly). Also, the computer suddenly became extremely slow, with the mouse cursor lagging across the screen. I happened to be playing a game at the time, although in the other occurrences I wasn't even at the computer. I have run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, so I don't think it is a virus on my machine.

My system specs are: 3.06GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood, Socket 478), Creative Soundblaster Live! Value, Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 512MB AGP, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, 250W PSU.

So based on this information, I hope you guys can help me solve the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Walkingepidemic

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

No, there was a x86 driver, as I was running it on XP for the last few years. But, yes, it could be that the drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. Thank you.

How did you come across the upgrade from XP to 7?

To my knowledge there isn't a direct upgrade path from XP to 7 due to incompatibilities and potential driver conflicts.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows 7 before attempting to "upgrade"?
Did you perform a "clean reinstall" of the OS eliminating any partitions and formatting them?

walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, I always do a clean install, in fact i've never had to upgrade, as I always just copy important files onto a USB, and reinstall all my programs.