Is it better to buy a 1.33 Retail or a 1.4 OEM?

madmanbmw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can either afford to use a 1.33 GHZ retail AMD in my system or a 1.4 OEM and buy a fan. Is there a preference. I will be ordering on the net so no chance to pick cores. Can I overclock one more than the other? I just need some general info and ideas. Thanks in advance.

Madison
mmcmajor@apex.net

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, I don't know about core picking, but it is safe to say, that this late in the stepping game, that you could get one of the coveted AXIA, AVIA, or that other 5-letter one without having to pick it. I would assume that by this point, most of the cores coming out of Dresden are one of those three, and that as long as a vendor has a quick stock turnover, you'll get one. Now, I have heard that you can ask vendors for a specific core, even online vendors, but I think that they will only do that on OEM CPUs, not retail.

Now, as to retail vs. OEM. With OEM, you get a CPU and a vendor warranty, usually 15-90 days. What it covers is dependent on the vendor, but it is safe to say that killing the CPU through overclocking is not something that is covered. With retail, you get the CPU, a 3-year factory warranty, as well as a HSF that works really well, but is a tad bit on the noisy side. Now, if you are overclocking, I'm sure a few extra dB of noise is outweighted by the extra cooling it provides. Plus, if that fan dies and your CPU fries, AMD will replace it, since it's their parts (hint for if you fry it doing something else). So, I would go for the 1.33 retail... but if your serious about getting the best bang for your buck, and are going to overclock it to the max., I'd go for a 1.2 retail. That way, you can still get the same overclock as a 1.33, but save money.

-SammyBoy

Putting his foot in his mouth since 1982!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that except for one thing.

The stock HSFs aren't that great (although they work), and they're not noisy. If you're going to overclock, get a decent HSF.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
erm, i thought only the retail cpus have those AXIA or AVIA or whatever the letter???
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but well, i'm just a newbie around hre
=)

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would go retail, only for the 3 year warrenty. If you decide to overclock (and some how damage the chip), or if you do not attach the HSF correctly (and damage the chip), you are "safe" with the AMD 3 year warranty. The OEM chip only comes with a 30 day warranty, though some retailers will warranty OEM parts for up to a year.

Be sure to check out the OEM guarantee on CPU's from the dealer you buy from.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Ok look, I am tired of this <i>bullshit</i> about warranties and oc. Unless you're running peltiers and watercooling, I don't think you're all that liable to burn up the proc. At least not in a time fram it matters. How much is a 1.2 gonna cost in a year? $1.50?

Say you can get the proc to boot at 1.2, but not run stable, fine. DON'T TRY 1.6! Back off and run a stable machine and be happy your $25 750 Duron is running at 1.1 ghz! Warranty? We don't need no stinkin warranty!

And I concur with Fattie and say stock hs and hsf suck. Or don't rather :-0 Anyway, don't underestimate cutting a hole in the case over the proc and running another fan. The absolute best way to increase performance out of ANY hs.

<font color=purple>madman. Just by a 1.2 oem for $93 and move on. And, the WIN FOP 32 still has the best bang for the buck of any hsf fan I know.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How could they tell? These processors are all unlocked.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know that you are joking, but prices are falling so quickly, that may soon be a reality.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Myself between those two I would buy the 1.4 OEM and get a good cooler. Now in reality I would buy a 1.2ghz and save the $40-$50 and buy a really good HSF and extra ram.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, that's what I did. I have a 1.2/266 with a ThermoEngine, and 512meg of PC133. I really wish I had gotten a motherboard that supports DDR, but when I bought it, DDR was still double the price or so.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

TRENDING THREADS