MN-500 DHCP and default gateway

I have an MN-500 configured to do DHCP service for my
computers. It is configured with the right default
gateway, but only one computer (I'll call it the first
computer) on the network gets the correct default
gateway.

The other computers get the first system (the one that
gets the correct default gateway) as their default
gateway -- rather than the one configured in the MN-500.

The only thing different about the first computer is that
it is dual-homed. It has a network interface with a
static ip and a route direct to the DSL modem -- in
addition to it's DHCP interface to the MN-500.

Any ideas?
Thx,
-Rick
5 answers Last reply
More about dhcp default gateway

    Are you doing ICS on the multi-homed computer?

    Rick wrote:

    > I have an MN-500 configured to do DHCP service for my
    > computers. It is configured with the right default
    > gateway, but only one computer (I'll call it the first
    > computer) on the network gets the correct default
    > gateway.
    >
    > The other computers get the first system (the one that
    > gets the correct default gateway) as their default
    > gateway -- rather than the one configured in the MN-500.
    >
    > The only thing different about the first computer is that
    > it is dual-homed. It has a network interface with a
    > static ip and a route direct to the DSL modem -- in
    > addition to it's DHCP interface to the MN-500.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thx,
    > -Rick

    Yes, here's a textual attempt at a description:

    DSL-->{DSL Modem}-->{MS MN-150 switch}

    Both the static ifx of the server and the MN-500 plug
    into the MN-500 side-by-side.

    All other computers plug into the MN-500.
    There is a 2nd ifx on the server (DHCP) that goes from
    the server to the MN-500.

    As I said, the 2nd ifx on the server (the DHCP one) gets
    the correct gateway. All of the other systems on the MN-
    500 get the IP of the DHCP ifx on the server.

    This actually works ok, but if the server is down, the
    systems on the MN-500 can't get out.

    -R

    One question what is this ifx you keep referring to. I tried a google
    search but it just pulled up a bunch of worthless information.

    I also checked babel over at
    http://www.geocities.com/ikind_babel/index.html & found no reference to
    ifx. So what you typed is very confusing.

    Also since you said you are Running Internet Connection Sharing on the
    multi-homed computer are you running the MN-500 in bridge mode or router
    mode. You will also have to explain the network better then
    DSL --> DSL Modem --> MN-150

    Because it doesn't say what comes after the MN-150 which is where it
    seems the problem is.

    > Yes, here's a textual attempt at a description:
    >
    > DSL-->{DSL Modem}-->{MS MN-150 switch}
    >
    > Both the static ifx of the server and the MN-500 plug
    > into the MN-500 side-by-side.
    >
    > All other computers plug into the MN-500.
    > There is a 2nd ifx on the server (DHCP) that goes from
    > the server to the MN-500.
    >
    > As I said, the 2nd ifx on the server (the DHCP one) gets
    > the correct gateway. All of the other systems on the MN-
    > 500 get the IP of the DHCP ifx on the server.
    >
    > This actually works ok, but if the server is down, the
    > systems on the MN-500 can't get out.
    >
    > -R

    Answers in-line:

    >One question what is this ifx you keep referring to. I
    tried a google
    >search but it just pulled up a bunch of worthless
    information.

    >I also checked babel over at
    >http://www.geocities.com/ikind_babel/index.html & found
    no reference to
    >ifx. So what you typed is very confusing.

    ifx is short for "interface", i.e. "network
    interface", "ethernet interface", etc.

    >Also since you said you are Running Internet Connection
    Sharing on the
    >multi-homed computer are you running the MN-500 in
    bridge mode or router
    >mode.

    Routing mode. So it will firewall and serve DHCP to the
    system connected to it.

    >You will also have to explain the network better then
    >DSL --> DSL Modem --> MN-150
    >
    >Because it doesn't say what comes after the MN-150 which
    is where it
    >seems the problem is.

    The next sentence did. Here's another attempt at a
    picture:

    DSL -- DSL Modem -- MN-150 -- MN-500 -- 3 computers
    | |
    {public static addr} {private DHCP addr}
    | |
    [a server with two interfaces]

    I have no idea if that will come out readable in html.

    >anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, here's a textual attempt at a description:
    >>
    >> DSL-->{DSL Modem}-->{MS MN-150 switch}
    >>
    >> Both the static ifx of the server and the MN-500 plug
    >> into the MN-150 side-by-side.
    >>
    >> All other computers plug into the MN-500.
    >> There is a 2nd ifx on the server (DHCP) that goes from
    >> the server to the MN-500.
    >>
    >> As I said, the 2nd ifx on the server (the DHCP one)
    gets
    >> the correct gateway. All of the other systems on the
    MN-
    >> 500 get the IP of the DHCP ifx on the server.
    >>
    >> This actually works ok, but if the server is down, the
    >> systems on the MN-500 can't get out.
    >>
    >> -R
    >.

    So is the "computer 1" running ICS then?

    If it is you will need to either stop doing ICS on it or change the
    MN-500 into a bridge. This is because a computer running ICS is a DHCP
    server & thus would create two DHCP servers causing major problems.

    Also I see no reason to have that computer being connected in such a way.

    One last thing did you purchase 2 IP addresses from your ISP as the
    computer & MN-500 are both taking an IP address.

    > The next sentence did. Here's another attempt at a
    > picture:
    >
    > DSL -- DSL Modem -- MN-150 -- MN-500 -- 3 computers
    > | |
    > {public static addr} {private DHCP addr}
    > | |
    > [a server with two interfaces]
    >
    > I have no idea if that will come out readable in html.

Routers Default DHCP Default Gateway Computers Gateway Networking