2days without reboot + casefans?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
YAY
2 days have passed since my last reboot.
a testiment to win2k, the athlon a7v133 mobo and my ability to remove the annoying bugs that plague every windows computer i have had.

bout time lol.

when im not using it its running seti@home.
100% load temp is 57-59 (interesting that it goes up a little while playing games. different parts of the core getting a piece of the processing pie?)
mobo temp is 36-39. about one would expect for a warm room and no case fans.

my box has room for 2 standard fans (80mm?) one at the back close to the core, and one at the front on a wierd black plastic mount near the pc speaker.
QUESTION.
what is the best thruput fan i should look for (CFU's and quietness)
and whats the best combo for sucking and blowing?
rear one blows hot air out with the front sucks in cool stuff?
(pc is a mini-ish tower on the desk beside the monitor. back of the case is 4-5 inches from the wall.)

my hamster thanks you in advance

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

Best advice it to experiment a little.

Regarding intake/exhaust - only you will work out what the best combo is. Generally the cpu rear fan is exhaust and the front is intake, but you may find it better to reverse this.

Regarding noise - if you look around there are many different 80mm fans available. I find the coolermaster fans to be fairly quiet with reasonable airflow (noted no difference in temperature replacing my Sunon High Capacity fans with the coolermasters, but a substantial drop in noise).

Good luck

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sounds fair... cauz i already have the PSU pumping out warm air at the back... dont want to suck in the same hot air.
shame i cant duct the intake so i deposits the cool air near the processor

im also gonna try some sound absorbing foam...
some people boast that their system has a volcano II and 5 case fans. i have no idea how they cope with the noise!
unless the box is in another room.
*shakes head*
P.S. i have an a7v133. can both fans plug into the mobo? or do they have to go to the psu?

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Let us know how the sound absorbing material works out. Right now I don't have any case fans running and my computer is actually not to noisy at all. Still having an ultra quiet setup would be ideal. Let us know.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lack of time, skill and knowhow really.
besides... then then cool air will be bypassing my drive bays :(

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Approximately 30-45min to cut hole and install ducting to cpu from outside air, cost around $6. That is if your cpu is not covered by anything and is in the open. Should be able to use the side cover meaning you can remove it from computer and do the work on it without having to disassembling anything else in the computer. The cpu fan will help ventilate the computer as well vice circulating hot air inside the computer. Just some ideas and options to consider. May be worth it. You would be the first directing cold air from outside directly onto the cpu.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/02/01 01:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmms. a hose directly from the outside of the case to the core.
my comp DOES have a kinda wierd breathing hole at the back, below the main case fan position, about 1-1.5 inches across and about 2 high. not sure what its for.

well first things first.
as i rarely have time for things i will first take it to the sop and get the heat pad removed & the two fans put in.
after that we will see.
im not a mad overclocker. i dont need 5 casefans. i just want it moderately cool such that it survives an australian summer in its standard overclocked state of
9.0 x 150 = 1350.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Be real careful removing the HSF, heatpad and reinstalling the cpu HSF. One careless mishap can mean you get to upgrade to another cpu. Not sure if the opening you are talking about would be really big enough for sufficient air flow. My opening is 4" in diameter for my CPU exhaust port which works much better then I expected. Still it is an option that maybe useful for you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/02/01 01:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive read the doccumentation, watched the flash fiels on how to do it...
and im gonna take it to a shop and get them to do it!
Im not like some of the complete morons around here who pull off the heatsink, doo a half assed job removing the gunk, put it back wrong, crush the core then come here and bitch and moan about it!

if i dont have complete confidence doing something i get a shop to do it.
would much prefer a $20 service charge than a $350 new processor (AU dollars)