YAFAP: Garbled-Wiz-Gno-Fem-Neu

Just to preface this, I've been playing Hack on and off over the years
ever since 1.01E came out on the PC. I managed to win 1.01E once, but
that was many many years ago. This is the first time I've ever ascended
in nethack, or won any version of nethack for that matter.

A quick recap of my game, from memory mostly. I started with a Gnomish
Wizard, and made a protection run immediately. Managed to buy about 6
points of that, and then leveled up and started down the dungeon. Did
sokoban next, then went back for the luckstone. Got to level 14, and did
the quest, chased the Dark One all over the quest maps until finally
killing him right below the quest start level. Proceeded on to hell, and
did vlad, orcus, jubilex, etc, then found the square and killed the
wizard. The wizard in my game was particularly evil. Every time I met
him, he double troubled me as his first move, and stole my Eye as his
second. After a few close calls with him, I managed to make it to the
sanctum, and the wizard grabbed the amulet off the corpse of the high
priest. I then chased him up 2 levels, got it finally by killing him and
his twin with a rubber chicken, and proceeded upwards. I ended up
crossing Orcustown about 10 times, due to level teleport, and the wizards
popping back and forth. One time the wizard even double troubled me,
stole the amulet, and one ran up, while the other ran down. Eventually I
got a handle on it, and made it to the planes, which were relatively
uneventful except for the Astral. On the astral plane, after guessing
wrong about the altars twice, I was nearly killed by Pestilence. Had 1 hp
left, and wasn't wearing my amulet of LS. Manged to flee him a bit, and
got my HP up to 17, and hit him with MM a few times to kill. Immediately
put on my amulet, and got relatively lucky for the rest of the voyage to
the altar.
garbled, neutral female gnomish Wizard

---------
|.......|
----- |.......| -----
...| |..._...| |... 5
---------..-- - ----- |.......| -------- --.1---------
|.......|....--- --|. ----|---- .| - % ---..4.|Aa..D..|
|..._.$)[%.%.%$ % ||...$..$).....| a%@.%.-.@@@...|
|......%|%...--- -----...*%)...--- - ---.14.|...DT..|
|.......|...-- -- -- -----)----- - $ -- --.4.|.a....@|3
---------..-- ----%---- % % %%- ---$--- --..---------5
...| | % ------- % ? -------- %| |..1
----- | | %$ | % | -----
------- -- % -- -------
| -- % -- |
--- ----%---- ---
| %$% % |
-----------------

Garbled the Wizard St:18/50 Dx:22 Co:18 In:22 Wi:21 Ch:9 Neutral S:1527283
Astral Plane $:0 HP:224(260) Pw:148(420) AC:-28 Xp:29/90055780 T:46809

Your inventory
Amulets
D - the blessed Eye of the Aethiopica
U - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
Weapons
t - a +6 silver dagger (alternate weapon; not wielded)
Q - the blessed rustproof +1 Magicbane (weapon in hand)
Armor
b - a blessed fireproof +1 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
f - a blessed fireproof +3 pair of speed boots (being worn)
o - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
r - an uncursed -1 pair of water walking boots
x - a blessed greased +3 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
A - an uncursed +0 mummy wrapping
R - a blessed rustproof +3 helm of brilliance (being worn)
Comestibles
e - an uncursed food ration
g - an uncursed lizard corpse
Spellbooks
B - the uncursed Book of the Dead
Rings
c - an uncursed ring of free action
m - an uncursed ring of levitation
w - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on right hand)
F - an uncursed ring of conflict
K - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
N - an uncursed ring of searching
Wands
d - a wand of teleportation (0:3)
h - a wand of death (1:1)
j - a wand of magic missile (0:0)
l - a wand of create monster (0:13)
n - a wand of polymorph (0:5)
p - a wand of cancellation (0:2)
z - a wand of enlightenment (0:8)
E - a wand of undead turning (0:3)
G - a wand of opening (0:0)
H - a wand of wishing named wishing castle T31266 (1:3)
L - a wand of digging (0:5)
M - a wand of teleportation (0:4)
T - a wand of death (0:2)
X - a wand of create monster (0:13)
Tools
a - an uncursed magic whistle
i - a blessed bag of holding
k - an uncursed pair of lenses (being worn)
q - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
s - a crystal ball (0:4)
u - an uncursed blindfold
C - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached)
I - an uncursed magic lamp (lit)
J - the Bell of Opening (0:2)
O - an uncursed skeleton key
S - an uncursed bag of holding
W - a magic marker (1:15)
Z - an uncursed stethoscope
Gems
Y - a blessed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:
an uncursed amulet of unchanging
a cursed -1 pair of levitation boots
an uncursed lizard corpse
an uncursed sprig of wolfsbane
an uncursed slime mold
an uncursed slime mold
2 uncursed carrots
5 uncursed food rations
a cursed scroll of remove curse
an uncursed scroll of remove curse
a cursed scroll of enchant armor
an uncursed scroll of scare monster
an uncursed scroll of charging
10 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
a blessed scroll of earth
a blessed scroll of create monster
a blessed scroll of remove curse
a cursed scroll of blank paper
an uncursed spellbook of blank paper
an uncursed spellbook of cancellation
an uncursed potion of speed
an uncursed potion of see invisible
an uncursed potion of monster detection
an uncursed potion of blindness
an uncursed potion of gain ability
a cursed potion of confusion
2 uncursed potions of restore ability
a blessed potion of speed
an uncursed potion of levitation
16 potions of holy water
a wand of slow monster (0:8)
a wand of magic missile (0:2)
a wand of sleep (0:4)
a blessed wand of slow monster (0:2)
a wand of locking (0:5)
an uncursed leash
a can of grease (0:13)
a magic marker (1:7)
a magic marker (0:6)
a blessed tinning kit (0:31)

Contents of the bag of holding:
an uncursed spellbook of magic missile
an uncursed tallow candle
an uncursed diamond
3 uncursed emeralds
3 uncursed rubies
an uncursed diamond

Final attributes
You were piously aligned
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were disintegration-resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were warned
You had infravision
You were invisible to others
You were stealthy
You had teleport control
You had slower digestion
You regenerated
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
Your life would have been saved
You were lucky (3)
You had extra luck
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - force bolt 1 attack 0%
b - detect monsters 1 divination 0%
c - magic missile 2 attack 0%
d - light 1 divination 0%
e - invisibility 4 escape 25%
f - fireball 4 attack 0%
g - wizard lock 2 matter 0%
h - healing 1 healing 0%
i - charm monster 3 enchantment 0%
j - turn undead 6* clerical 80%
k - teleport away 6 escape 80%
l - cancellation 7 matter 0%
m - detect food 2 divination 0%
n - protection 1 clerical 0%
o - haste self 3 escape 0%
p - dig 5 matter 0%
q - cause fear 3 enchantment 0%
r - magic mapping 5 divination 0%
s - clairvoyance 3 divination 0%
t - slow monster 2 enchantment 0%
u - cure sickness 3 healing 0%
v - identify 3 divination 0%

Vanquished creatures (just the higlights)
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (13 times)
Death (thrice)
Pestilence (thrice)
Famine
a high priest
Medusa
16 krakens
7 purple worms
The Dark One
11 Angels
Vlad the Impaler
30 vampire lords
The Oracle
28 aligned priests
22 vampires
33 ghosts
43 wraiths
15 brown puddings
30 giant eels
43 soldiers
Genocided or extinct species:
hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
rust monsters
disenchanters
erinyes (extinct)
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens
19 species genocided.
1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You genocided 19 types of monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used 5 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
(none)
Weapon Skills
dagger [Expert]
quarterstaff [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Expert]
divination spells [Skilled]
enchantment spells [Basic]
matter spells [Expert]

Goodbye garbled the Demigoddess...
You and the baby silver dragon and the baby silver dragon
went to your reward with 3149738 points,
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
3 rubies (worth 10500 zorkmids),
3 emeralds (worth 7500 zorkmids),
2 diamonds (worth 8000 zorkmids),
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of unchanging (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 46809 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 29 with a maximum of 260 hit points when you ascended.
850 3149738 garbled-Wiz-Gno-Fem-Neu ascended to demigoddess-hood. 224 [260]

(on nethack.alt.org)

Wheeeeeee!

Tim Rightnour wrote:
> This is the first time I've ever ascended
> in nethack, or won any version of nethack for that matter.

Congratulations!

> On the astral plane, after guessing
> wrong about the altars twice, I was nearly killed by Pestilence. Had 1 hp
> left, and wasn't wearing my amulet of LS. Manged to flee him a bit, and
> got my HP up to 17, and hit him with MM a few times to kill. Immediately
> put on my amulet, and got relatively lucky for the rest of the voyage to
> the altar.

Wonderful. With 1 HP standing next to Pestilence, that has to be the
closest, most skin-of-teeth FAP I've seen.

Tim Rightnour wrote:
> Just to preface this, I've been playing Hack on and off over the years
> ever since 1.01E came out on the PC. I managed to win 1.01E once, but
> that was many many years ago. This is the first time I've ever ascended
> in nethack, or won any version of nethack for that matter.
Congratulations!

> I was nearly killed by Pestilence. Had 1 hp
> left, and wasn't wearing my amulet of LS.
You only had an AC of -28. It looks like you were carrying everything
you needed to get another 6-10 points of AC. Every bit helps,
especially when you are XL 29. Once I watched Zadir ascend in 19000
turns with AC of only -19, but he's the one with the high score on NAO.

> You were lucky (3)
> You had extra luck
> Good luck did not time out for you
It helps to be extremely lucky (10 and above) to tangle with Rodney and
the Riders. Many things I can't remember roll against your luck.
Obviously you didn't need it. Did you ever toss valuable gems to
coaligned unicorns?

> Voluntary challenges
> You genocided 19 types of monsters
> You never polymorphed an object
> You never changed form
> You used 5 wishes
> You did not wish for any artifacts
Outstanding first ascension. And only 46K moves.

-- firemonkey