n00b OS installation question

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hi,
I know this is a very n00b question, but Can you install Windows 7 several times on different partitions on the same PC? And can these be different versions? For instance Can you install Windows 7 ultimate on one partition and Windows 7 professional on another partition?

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I cannot help but wonder why?
but yes make sure you setup the boot menu so you can select which one you want.
Licencing may be an issue. but MS licencing confuses me.
Have you tried virtual machines?
Enable 'Virtualisation' in your BIOS and install something like MS Virtual machine' there are a few different ones out there for home users they tend to be free, so try each one find one you like.
they do take up a lot of hard drive space though and running a couple on your native PC can slow thing s down a bit, so the more memory you have the better.
Its a great way to play with Linux, Android, old versions of windows.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

I know about Virtual Machines, However I was talking about running them natively, and How would I set up the multiboot menu (I already multiboot XP and 1 installation of Windows 7)?

Then you are already doing it....why ask?

I'm going to guess probably not because that would be a nice junk of change nowadays...

C4PNMORGAN

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Although that is usually the case there are versions of xp, 7, and I believe 8 as well that include multiple installs per key ex. family editions something like 3 or 5 uses out of 1 key, business edition not sure how many but a lot more, and some corporate editions have unlimited uses. But they cost a huge load o' change, and are hard to get.