n00b OS installation question

Hi,
I know this is a very n00b question, but Can you install Windows 7 several times on different partitions on the same PC? And can these be different versions? For instance Can you install Windows 7 ultimate on one partition and Windows 7 professional on another partition?
11 answers Last reply
More about n00b installation question
  1. I cannot help but wonder why?
    but yes make sure you setup the boot menu so you can select which one you want.
    Licencing may be an issue. but MS licencing confuses me.
    Have you tried virtual machines?
    Enable 'Virtualisation' in your BIOS and install something like MS Virtual machine' there are a few different ones out there for home users they tend to be free, so try each one find one you like.
    they do take up a lot of hard drive space though and running a couple on your native PC can slow thing s down a bit, so the more memory you have the better.
    Its a great way to play with Linux, Android, old versions of windows.
  2. You will need a different key for each installation.
  3. davidgermain said:
    I cannot help but wonder why?
    but yes make sure you setup the boot menu so you can select which one you want.
    Licencing may be an issue. but MS licencing confuses me.
    Have you tried virtual machines?
    Enable 'Virtualisation' in your BIOS and install something like MS Virtual machine' there are a few different ones out there for home users they tend to be free, so try each one find one you like.
    they do take up a lot of hard drive space though and running a couple on your native PC can slow thing s down a bit, so the more memory you have the better.
    Its a great way to play with Linux, Android, old versions of windows.



    I know about Virtual Machines, However I was talking about running them natively, and How would I set up the multiboot menu (I already multiboot XP and 1 installation of Windows 7)?
  4. Do you have a legit key for each installation?
  5. iplikator3333 said:
    I know about Virtual Machines, However I was talking about running them natively, and How would I set up the multiboot menu (I already multiboot XP and 1 installation of Windows 7)?


    Then you are already doing it....why ask?

    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Do you have a legit key for each installation?


    I'm going to guess probably not because that would be a nice junk of change nowadays...
  6. I agree!
  7. hedwar2011 said:
    Then you are already doing it....why ask?





    I wasn't sure if Multibooting several Windows 7 installation would be the same as multibooting different operating systems.
  8. You would need a different key for each installation of 7.
  9. If you are only 'running' 1 instance, don't you only need a valid licence for the running instance?
  10. Your allowed 1 install per key,additional installs need additional keys.
  11. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    You would need a different key for each installation of 7.



    Although that is usually the case there are versions of xp, 7, and I believe 8 as well that include multiple installs per key ex. family editions something like 3 or 5 uses out of 1 key, business edition not sure how many but a lot more, and some corporate editions have unlimited uses. But they cost a huge load o' change, and are hard to get.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Partition