Your question

EMERGENCY!

Tags:
  • Security
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 9:49:33 PM

My computer seems to have caught some kind of virus disguised a an antivirus that i cant turn off. I finally managed to set the permissions on the file so that it would not open. However, it has left its mark. Everything is slowing down, sometimes freezing, my computer is louder, and whenever I try to double click an application, it tells me I don't have the right permissons. The only way to get around this is to run as administrator, or using the strange new entry in the right click menu. Instead of "Start." its just "start". That does't seem like something microsoft would do. This also effects programs that need to open other things, such as the control panel, where I can't right click control panel stuff and run as admin. HELP ME!!! :cry: 

More about : emergency

a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 9:58:56 PM

TrevinK said:
My computer seems to have caught some kind of virus disguised a an antivirus that i cant turn off. I finally managed to set the permissions on the file so that it would not open. However, it has left its mark. Everything is slowing down, sometimes freezing, my computer is louder, and whenever I try to double click an application, it tells me I don't have the right permissons. The only way to get around this is to run as administrator, or using the strange new entry in the right click menu. Instead of "Start." its just "start". That does't seem like something microsoft would do. This also effects programs that need to open other things, such as the control panel, where I can't right click control panel stuff and run as admin. HELP ME!!! :cry: 

from another pc make a hirum boot cd and run anti virus from the cd. or make a virus emergancy disk from anti virus vendors online.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 10:34:14 PM

Kaspersky rescue cd is very thorough at removing virii and is free as well.
m
l
January 23, 2013 10:55:45 PM

I do not have another PC. I tried the first link and it found a threat, removed it and made no difference.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:50:00 PM

TrevinK said:

Hmmm....

What is the supposed name of the "anti-virus" you're making reference to, or what is it called?

I saw one a few weeks back that was Vista Protection Suite (it is confusing) and found out that it was a form of rogueware that someone picked up. Get me the name and I'll see what I can dig up for you.
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:46:52 AM

I think it was Win7 Internet Security 2013 or 2012
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:50:01 AM

Bingo!

HERE is the information you need.
m
l
January 24, 2013 3:36:22 PM

THATS THE ONE!!! Thank you sooooo much :D  I decided to try SUPERAntiSpyware, which was recommended on another page about the fake antivruses, and it FOUND IT! After all these weeks of banging my head on the wall, looking for pwg.exe where it said it was but wasnt actually there, THANK YOU!

The run as admin problem is also solved :D  Now I can use my control panel again! However, when I double click an exe, it asks me what to open it with. I get the feeling thats just my computer getting confused from it's ordeal with the virus, but how do I get it to just run the exe?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 11:26:56 PM

TrevinK said:
THATS THE ONE!!! Thank you sooooo much :D  I decided to try SUPERAntiSpyware, which was recommended on another page about the fake antivruses, and it FOUND IT! After all these weeks of banging my head on the wall, looking for pwg.exe where it said it was but wasnt actually there, THANK YOU!

The run as admin problem is also solved :D  Now I can use my control panel again! However, when I double click an exe, it asks me what to open it with. I get the feeling thats just my computer getting confused from it's ordeal with the virus, but how do I get it to just run the exe?

Sorry for the delay! If you have the Windows 7 CD/DVD used to install on the computer or from the manufacturer you can run a process called "sfc /scannow" and it will take a look at the computer and repair any damaged files and extensions like ".exe".

You will need to run it from a run command which you can bring up by holding down the Windows key on your keyboard (between left Ctrl and Alt key) and pressing the letter R.

Don't have a CD or it's a recovery CD from one of the big box companies? There is information HERE in regards to how to do the process without the CD but understand that is the best option if you have it.

The link does state its for Windows XP but they are essentially the same process.
m
l
January 25, 2013 12:08:31 AM

I did the SFC /scannow without having to put in the CD. It gave me a CMD for about half a second, closed, and I still cant run exes without doing the right click thing. Atleast the security problem is gone though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:05:17 AM

TrevinK said:
I did the SFC /scannow without having to put in the CD. It gave me a CMD for about half a second, closed, and I still cant run exes without doing the right click thing. Atleast the security problem is gone though.

Take a look at the following two links and see if any of it helps:
http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php (This one mentions Windows Vista further down)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310585
m
l
January 25, 2013 3:42:17 PM

YAY! I used the link at the bottom of the exe association page for vista exe fixes, then went to windows 7 fixes, merged the reg file, AND MY EXEs WORK AGAIN! ALL TRACES FROM THAT VIRUS ARE NOW GONE! Thank you so much for your help everyone!
m
l
!