Anyone Using 'CPUIdle' on Athlon Thunderbird (Via

G

Howdy Ho!

I have a 900 MHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU with the KT-133 VIA Chipset on a Tyan MB. I have been experimenting with the program called 'CPUIdle'. The latest version (5.8) has included support for AMD Athlon Via Chipsets. I have been impressed with how much of a decrease in temperature that has been obtained (from around 60-65 degrees C to 45-50 degrees C) using this little program and selecting the optimization for the AMD Atlon chip.

However, the questions I have are, is this type of process safe for my CPU over time, and for the Power Supply, as well? The Power Supply fan will flutuate up and down (a bit) based upon what type of processing is occuring on my PC. When I increase my throughput, the fan speeds up higher, when I am not in any special processing mode, the fan lowers and is constant. This just keeps occuring all the time. Is this normal for this type of functionality? Does anybody have any experience with this progam and is there any other programs out there that you can recommend besides 'CPUIdle', before I purchase it? Thanks

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
well, i don't really know exactly what kinda program is this CPU Idle, but well, i've seen lotsa programs which sounds similar to this CPU idle...
basically, those programs i saw will write a certain instruction to the processor when it is idle to tell it to go into sleep mode or whatever mode, so that it can rest and the temperature would go down...
<A HREF="http://www.utilitygeek.com/software/cpu/" target="_new">http://www.utilitygeek.com/software/cpu/</A>
the website above is where i saw those programs, not sure whether the url still works, i only bookmarked it, and haven't checked it out for some time...
anyway, according to the website, linux and win2000 also had similar built-in processes by microsoft, only win95/98/me don't have it

i'm not very sure abt the fan thingy though

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dan_gao86 on 07/02/01 11:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>