Healer quest without levitation?

samu

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2005

On 27 Jul 2005 08:37:00 -0700, "Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> wrote:

>Is it possible to do the healer quest without levitation, but
>with jumping boots?

Been there, done that. :)

Be careful with jumping though, if there's a concealed monster in the
water between your initial position and the landing spot, you may bump
into it and fall into water.

Nathan wrote:
> Is it possible to do the healer quest without levitation, but
> with jumping boots?

Sure you can.

Or use a wand of fire to empty the water pools.
Or freeze the water with a wand of cold.
Or read a scroll of earth to bridge the water with boulders.
Etc.

Janis

samu@everdying.com wrote:

> Be careful with jumping though, if there's a concealed monster in the
> water between your initial position and the landing spot, you may bump
> into it and fall into water.

Good to know, and yet better to remember it when necessary.

Janis - "what I can't see can't be dangerous to me - doh!"

Nathan

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
> > Is it possible to do the healer quest without levitation, but
> > with jumping boots?
>
> Sure you can.
>
> Or use a wand of fire to empty the water pools.
> Or freeze the water with a wand of cold.
> Or read a scroll of earth to bridge the water with boulders.
> Etc.

I was already aware of the techniques available for crossing
water. I was wondering if the islands were spaced closely
enough for me to get everywhere with jumping boots. I had
already checked the levels with fixed maps in the Gazetteer
and could see it was possible there, but I didn't know about
the "filler" levels, which are simply described as swamp.

I have now finished the quest (with my jumping boots), so I
know what isn't explained in the Gazetteer: the filler levels
consist of a single connected piece of land, surrounded by
water.

Anyway, onward and downward!

Nathan wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>Nathan wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to do the healer quest without levitation, but
>>>with jumping boots?
>>
>>Sure you can.
>
> I was wondering if the islands were spaced closely
> enough for me to get everywhere with jumping boots. I had
> already checked the levels with fixed maps in the Gazetteer
> and could see it was possible there, but I didn't know about
> the "filler" levels, which are simply described as swamp.

You may imagine the filler levels as levels like the mines. (With
the positive exception that, while in the mines some passage might
be too narrow to pass it with gear, the open water area won't even
hinder you.)

> I have now finished the quest (with my jumping boots), so I
> know what isn't explained in the Gazetteer: the filler levels
> consist of a single connected piece of land, surrounded by
> water.
>
> Anyway, onward and downward!

Have fun!

Janis