Your question

Via Hardware Monitor

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2001 3:50:53 PM

I have an Abit KT&-Raid motherboard with an AMD 850mhz T-Bird. Its been freezing periodically on hot days. The motherboard came with the Via Hardware Monitor. The cpu temp. reads between 40C and 45C, set to max. @ 60C before warning me. It has a cpu hysteresis temp. of around 45C before warning me, but I have no idea what the cpu hysteresis is. Anyone know? Any suggestions on cooling my cpu? I read about externally venting the cpu with a suction fan, but do I need only the cpu fan for air flow or do I need to install a second fan to help push out the cpu air?

More about : hardware monitor

July 2, 2001 6:07:05 PM

Is this max load temp, or idle temp?..or somewhere in between...
Because 45C is pretty good for max load, but bad for an idle temp

What video card? And what's the temp on ur vid GPU?

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 07/02/01 12:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2001 6:57:16 PM

45C is the highest it has ever been under max load. Idle, it runs as low as 32C on a coo day. I have a NVIDA RIVA TNT2 4X AGP video card with a small heatsink and fan that came installed on it. I'm not sure of my GPU Temp. Where do I find it? Any idea what the cpu hysteresis temp is/means?
Related resources
July 2, 2001 9:04:13 PM

I guess it depends which way your cpu fan is pulling air, into or out of the heat sink. My Alpha is pulling air out of the heat sink (sucking) and I am discharing the hot air from the cpu fan through a port outside of the case. Without any case fans (suction or exhaust) my cpu at 29c system temp, 100% cpu usage got up to 45c. Now that was in a warm room. Right now my cpu is running 38c with a system temperture of 27c but I am not at 100%cpu power at the moment. Your temperature of 40c-45c seems pretty good. So maybe it is not a cpu problem but maybe a video card problem in which a intake and exhaust fan setup would probably help.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2001 9:33:47 PM

if you are running win2k, then its an IRQ problem. i've seen this several times with nvidia cards( they just dont like sharing resources). go into the device manager and under computer you will see "ADVANCED CONFIGURATION AND POWER INTERFACE ACPI PC" you need to change this to "STANDARD PC" by changing the drivers for the ACPI. just right click on the ACPI driver, select properties, then the driver tab, then update driver, click next, display a list of known drivers, then show all hardware for this device, the select "STANDARD PC" and click ok. your comp should reboot and win2k will re-install the drivers for everything for you and you should be ok to go. reply if you need anything else.
July 2, 2001 10:02:38 PM

<font color=blue>here ya go. I found the info here <A HREF="http://overclockedcpus.com/forums/General_Overclocking_..." target="_new">http://overclockedcpus.com/forums/General_Overclocking_...;/A>

btw I got to this using google with "cpu hysteresis temp "</font color=blue>

Quote:
It's actually pretty simple, and it has to do with thermal throttling.

Normally, you run your CPU at full speed. Which generates a lot of heat. If your system cooling is inadequate then the CPU temperature will reach the alarm temperature at some point.

What happens then is (though I'm not sure if it's currently implemented or not) the system automatically lowers performance in order to cool off.

But if the system was set up to switch back to full speed immediately after the temperature dropped below the alarm temperature you would get a lot of high-frequency switching.

Basically - the full-speed mode very quickly makes the CPU exceed the alarm temp, then it slows down and quickly drops below, then it speeds up and quickly exceeds again. This isn't good for the CPU at all.

Enter the hysteresis temperature. Once the CPU slows itself down, it won't go back to full speed mode until it reaches the hysteresis temperature. It's effectively an artificial delay in the switching cycle. You see the same thing in thermostats and other simple feedback systems.

Same deal for the system alarm and system hysteresis temperatures.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2001 12:23:37 PM

Thanks for the help.
!