Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop shut off during BIOS loading now wont come back on

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:30:31 PM

It's a dell insprinon 1510...my wife's and was doing a download...BIO's when it shut itself off and now won't even come back on when I press the power button. I called Dell and they say...since my warranty expired 4 days earlier it was of couse, not covered and am wondering if it's the motherboard or something else? Any ideas or suggestions..the laptop is just over 1 1/2 years old. Thank you!
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:32:28 PM

Take the battery out and leave just the AC adapter plugged in.

Does it come on with the battery out? If so, your battery is causing it to No-POST or the computer just needed to be reset.

If not, have you dropped it or had a power surge recently that might have affected it?
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:38:19 PM

do you mean your wife try to flash the bios?
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:41:10 PM

rgd1101 said:

Nah, I think he meant it's his wife's laptop and he was doing a download and it restarted showing the BIOS screen....

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

Score
January 23, 2013 11:50:55 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Take the battery out and leave just the AC adapter plugged in.

Does it come on with the battery out? If so, your battery is causing it to No-POST or the computer just needed to be reset.

If not, have you dropped it or had a power surge recently that might have affected it?

no, all I have is the power light illuminated and it show's the computer on but the screen is just blank or black...there was no power surge nor has it been dropped or banged around, it oes in a case when we are finished with it.
Score
January 23, 2013 11:51:45 PM

:lol: 
rgd1101 said:

who knows but very doubtful!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 11:58:05 PM

steve3667s said:
no, all I have is the power light illuminated and it show's the computer on but the screen is just blank or black...there was no power surge nor has it been dropped or banged around, it oes in a case when we are finished with it.

This is with the battery out?

Grab a flashlight and shine it on the LCD. Can you see the image faintly? If not, it could be a loose LCD cable (which unfortunately is common in newer DELLs) or the LCD could be shot.

Are any of the lock lights (Scroll lock, Caps lock, Num lock) on the computer flashing or solid? Could be an indication of a hardware failure.

Can't seem to find it on DELLs website oddly enough...I'll keep looking though and get you a chart of the lock light indicators.

EDIT:

I found it. It's actually the Vostro 1510 (I've always hated DELL's numbering scheme). Run the PSA diagnostics using the information found HERE and let me know what it comes back with. If you can't run them either, let me know that too.

I used to work for them for 3 1/2 years and remember when this PC launched.
Score
January 24, 2013 12:11:10 AM

hedwar2011 said:
This is with the battery out?

Grab a flashlight and shine it on the LCD. Can you see the image faintly? If not, it could be a loose LCD cable (which unfortunately is common in newer DELLs) or the LCD could be shot.

Are any of the lock lights (Scroll lock, Caps lock, Num lock) on the computer flashing or solid? Could be an indication of a hardware failure.

Can't seem to find it on DELLs website oddly enough...I'll keep looking though and get you a chart of the lock light indicators.

EDIT:

I found it. It's actually the Vostro 1510 (I've always hated DELL's numbering scheme). Run the PSA diagnostics using the information found HERE and let me know what it comes back with. If you can't run them either, let me know that too.

I used to work for them for 3 1/2 years and remember when this PC launched.

I have the battery out and the ac power cor attached...nothing except that I know the power is on and it shows the laptop on...I did what you said with the flashlight and nothing no faint images of any kind so I could NOT rin the diagnostics
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:18:17 AM

steve3667s said:
I have the battery out and the ac power cor attached...nothing except that I know the power is on and it shows the laptop on...I did what you said with the flashlight and nothing no faint images of any kind so I could NOT rin the diagnostics

Okay,
Next step in the process.

Are there any of the three lock lights on or flashing? If so, which ones and what is it/are they doing?

When you reboot do you see the initial DELL BIOS screen at all or does it just go to the black screen like you mentioned before?

Look at the power brick in the middle of the AC Adapter. Is the blue LED lit up on it (it should be blue unless you're using a 3rd party adapter)? Is the light on and then when you plug it into the computer does it go out? Try it both ways to see if it stays on or if it's on at all before being plugged in.

Reverse the process and take the AC Adapter out and put just the battery in and see what happens.

Any time something like this happens, #1 rule is to be calm because over-reacting is going to do nothing but make it worse (not saying you aren't).
Score
January 24, 2013 12:26:09 AM

no locklights nor flashing...this laptop doesn't have that feature nor a numbers pad.

no I get absolutely nothing it's just a blank screen.

actually it's a grren light..no it generally stays on.

I reversed the process as asked and nothing though it shows the computer on.

I'm pretty calm about this really just trying to figure out what happened and what to do. And I do appreciate the assistance!
Score
January 24, 2013 12:27:34 AM

the fan is running
Score
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2013 12:28:11 AM

wait you were flashing the bios and it failed or just a download?

if you cant see a very dim screen with a flashlight etc its not a bad inverter or backlight and is most likely a bad gpu that either overheated and died or just simply died. i see this happen all the time the processor works fine when testing and the gpu has failed.

since its integrated you are going to be out of luck if that is the case
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:31:45 AM

steve3667s said:
no locklights nor flashing...this laptop doesn't have that feature nor a numbers pad.

no I get absolutely nothing it's just a blank screen.

actually it's a grren light..no it generally stays on.

I reversed the process as asked and nothing though it shows the computer on.

I'm pretty calm about this really just trying to figure out what happened and what to do. And I do appreciate the assistance!

steve3667s said:
the fan is running

That's a good sign.

06yfz450ridr said:
wait you were flashing the bios and it failed or just a download?

if you cant see a very dim screen with a flashlight etc its not a bad inverter or backlight and is most likely a bad gpu that either overheated and died or just simply died. i see this happen all the time the processor works fine when testing and the gpu has failed.

since its integrated you are going to be out of luck if that is the case

You got my mind going again...Thanks!

@OP: Do you have an external monitor you can hook up to this laptop? If so, plug it in and see if you get a picture.
- If not, your GPU is gone like 06yfz450ridr mentioned.
- If you do, your LCD is potentially shot or the port on the motherboard is gone.

Score
January 24, 2013 12:44:43 AM

I did hook it up to a eternal monitor nothing, nada
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:47:33 AM

Your motherboard is toast. Seeing as to how the internal GPU is connected to it, it will fix both issues. You can do any of the following:
1. Take it to a local repair shop to be fixed (not sure of the cost)
2. Buy a new laptop.

The cost of the laptop itself may be cheaper than getting this one fixed is the odd part because of the decline in the economy.

Sorry bud! I always hate when something like this happens.
Score
January 24, 2013 12:53:03 AM

I figured it was something major like an intergrated circuit and/or the motherboard..dell wants like a $125 just to look at it then of course the cost of replacing the non working items and it adds up to quite a bit whereas she can get a newer laptop for a little bit more. I do want to say THANK YOU for all your assistance and help, it was very much appreciated! Thanks again!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:56:20 AM

Not a problem at all. Go ahead and mark it as solved so that the other forum helpers and the mods will see that you no longer need assistance.
Score
January 24, 2013 1:05:49 AM

I did and sent a message to the moderator 'problem solved.' hope that was the right way as this is my 1st time on here.
Score
!