Athlon processors

G

What is the difference between AXIA, AXIAR, and all those other types of processors? Which is the best for its price?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The AXIA is available down to 1.0GHz, making the 1GHz AXIA the best bang for the buck in overclocking. The AXIAR is available from 1.2GHz up I believe, so it is a little more expensive, but overclocks a little higher. The next newer one goes even higher, but is only available in 1.33 1nd 1.4GHz.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the AXIA processor is supposed to be the ultimate in overclocking as the 1GHz version was meant to get to 1.4GHz with no extra heating. Although i have not tried this it has been said by a lot of hardware sites and so i would imagine its true. Not a clue on the AXIAR sorry. But then there is the MP version which allows you to use 2 Athlon processors together if you have the motherboard.

The difference between the 200MHz and 266MHz are that one uses old SDRAM @ 100MHz ??and DDR @ 100MHz if you have the motherboard?? (the 200MHZ) and the 266MHZ can use both DDR + SDRAM at 133MHz
The Palmino will be released soon (already for notebooks) and is going to be called the Athlon 4 and its AMD's answer to the P4.
Hope this helps
Killerkris

EDIT: i recommend that you get a standard AMD CPU unless you want to be an overclocker as the price of normal CPU is a lot lower than the AXIA as they are rarer
A Life, where can i download one of those from?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Killerkris on 07/02/01 10:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>