Where's the amulet gone?

I'm at the bottom level of Gehennon where the priest with the real AOY
lives. Except...... I got to the altar room over the lava, opened the
door and got the message "you have an uncanny feeling..."
The room inside was empty and a couple of spellbooks and a robe laying
on the floor. Obviously there was no AOY...
I killed the wizard on this level but he didn't have it.
I'm playing the most recent version of vanilla Nethack as a Samurai
L30.
Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about where amulet gone

    Oops, somehow Yeenoghu had it and he'd escaped upstairs.
    It still doesn't explain the empty altar room......

    > Hmh.. Why not let him keep it and chase him upstairs? Would
    > he be subject of the mysterious force?
    >
    > Best,
    > Jakob

    Oops, can't do that. I just have to kill demons.
    I'm on the astral plane now (the water one) and possibly on for my
    second ever ascension!

    Spud wrote:
    > Oops, somehow Yeenoghu had it and he'd escaped upstairs.
    > It still doesn't explain the empty altar room......

    Yeenoghu killed the priest and took the Amulet for himself.

    There are a handful of critters that covet the Amulet, and
    they're willing to kill each other (or you) to get it. Yeenoghu's one of
    them.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    "Spud" <colin_fuidge@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1122536910.630752.99350
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Oops, somehow Yeenoghu had it and he'd escaped upstairs.
    > It still doesn't explain the empty altar room......

    I thihkn that does explain it. Yeenoghu is one of the monsters that wants
    the amulet, and he will attack anyone who is holding it. He killed the
    priest, took the amulet, but was low enough on HP that he decided to
    teleport to the upstairs.

Games Video Games