Killer Bees question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 28, 2005 11:04:54 AM

The question being, what's the chance of a killer bee poisoning you
when eaten?

I was playing a priest who had the misfortune of being rather hungry;
no damn edible creatures were dropping corpses and not a piece of food
in sight (even my wolfsbane and garlic were gone). I get attacked by
killer bees and kill them, and they drop corpses. I had the restore
ability spell so I decided to take a risk and eat one to at least stave
off hunger until I could find something better. I was sure bees were
_always_ poisonous when eaten--but no poison!

I thought maybe therefore unidentified ring I was wearing was a ring of
resist poison. (It was fairly early in the game, I was human, and had
gotten no intrinsics yet.)

Until I walk a few squares further and a bunch of just-spawned Mordor
Orcs appear; one shoots me with a poisoned orcish arrow ... that poison
was deadly.... DYWYPI? (The ring was regeneration.)

Any source divers know what the chances are of being poisoned by a
killer bee corpse? Mostly just curious. I'd obviously foolishly
mistaken the not-being poisoned by the bee for invincibility to
poison--a very bad mistake when charging enemies with poison-tipped
weapons. :)

Thanks,

Death Quaker

More about : killer bees question

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:22:04 AM

spam@deathquaker.org wrote:
> The question being, what's the chance of a killer bee poisoning you
> when eaten?

According to
http://www.geocities.com/dcorbett42/nethack/corpse.htm#...,
you have 80% chance of having bad effects when eating a poisonous
corpse. Do you know of the benefits of eating such corpses, and
if not, do you want me to tell you?

Anyway, I think you still get a message if the bad effects
of eating a poisonous corpse are prevented by a ring or an
intrisinc poison resistance, something like 'Eech! That was
poisonous! The poison doesn't seem to affect you!'.

Clemence
July 28, 2005 2:08:46 PM

Jym wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 spam@deathquaker.org wrote:
>
> > The question being, what's the chance of a killer bee poisoning you
> > when eaten?
> >
> > I was playing a priest who had the misfortune of being rather hungry;
> > no damn edible creatures were dropping corpses and not a piece of food
> > in sight (even my wolfsbane and garlic were gone). I get attacked by
> > killer bees and kill them, and they drop corpses. I had the restore
> > ability spell so I decided to take a risk and eat one to at least stave
> > off hunger until I could find something better. I was sure bees were
> > _always_ poisonous when eaten--but no poison!
> >
> > I thought maybe therefore unidentified ring I was wearing was a ring of
> > resist poison. (It was fairly early in the game, I was human, and had
> > gotten no intrinsics yet.)
>
> Do you mean that you had food problem and were wearing a (unidetified)
> ring anyway ? Or did you just put it on before eating the corpse in hope
> this would turn out to be resist poison/sustain ability ?

I didn't put it on _just_ before, but I had only found it recently, and
was hoping to see what it did. See more below.

> > was deadly.... DYWYPI? (The ring was regeneration.)
>
> Which is fairly easy to identify if you have lost a few HPs. And which
> makes your food problem even worse.

Again, recently found so was still figuring that out, it and yes, you
are correct, it was likely why I was suddenly getting hungry. Didn't
quite connect 2+2 there until after the fact, unfortunately (and yes,
of coruse it could have also been a ring of hunger! Silly me.). But
seeing as my question was about the poison rate of eating killer bees,
and not about avoiding hunger, it doesn't really matter. :)

To answer Boudewijn's (sorry if mispelled name) question, I had prayed
recently for some other reason which I now cannot remember (I think I
may have even prayed to be fed and wasn't), so even being a priest I
knew I wouldn't have been able to safely pray quite yet again. And I
wouldn't have cast the restore spell until I had gotten to some food
first. God, I know I'm stupid, but I'm not _that_ stupid. :)

A very many thanks to the other two posters who actually answered my
question (and yes, I know you do have a chance of actually benefiting
from eating such things), rather than enumerate all the things I did
wrong that had nothing to do with what I was actually asking about. :)

Should I ever need further advice about avoiding hunger (my best method
is mostly not playing Nethack right before going to bed, which was of
course the largest mistake I made during that game), I will of course
consult your collective sagacity. :)

Thanks again,

=====
Death Quaker!
July 28, 2005 3:46:26 PM

Clemence Magnien wrote:
> spam@deathquaker.org wrote:
>
> > The question being, what's the chance of a killer bee poisoning you
> > when eaten?
>
> According to
> http://www.geocities.com/dcorbett42/nethack/corpse.htm#...,
> you have 80% chance of having bad effects when eating a poisonous
> corpse. Do you know of the benefits of eating such corpses, and
> if not, do you want me to tell you?

The table tells that the benefits occur 30% of the time.
There are better ways to acheive that end but if you
already have means to recover from non-fatal poison
damage it can be worth trying.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:20:50 PM

spam@deathquaker.org wrote:
>Any source divers know what the chances are of being poisoned by a
>killer bee corpse?

Any nominally-poisonous corpse, such as a killer bee corpse, has an 80%
chance of actually being poisonous.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:02:33 PM

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:11:32 PM

spam@deathquaker.org wrote:

> I was playing a priest who had the misfortune of being rather hungry;
> no damn edible creatures were dropping corpses and not a piece of food
> in sight (even my wolfsbane and garlic were gone).

You were a man of the cloth. Why didn't you pray? Praying only for food
will keep a starting character's stomach full enough.

Don't eat your wolfsbane: the time you need for doing so is almost
equivalent to the amount of food gained; it's much better kept in case
you get bitten by a lycanthrope.

> I get attacked by
> killer bees and kill them, and they drop corpses. I had the restore
> ability spell so I decided to take a risk and eat one to at least
> stave off hunger until I could find something better. I was sure bees
> were _always_ poisonous when eaten--but no poison!

Note that casting spells will make you even hungry, and quite fast as
well (except for the spell of detect food)! The amount of food consumed
by casting restore ability is almost certainly more than the amount
gained by eating a killer bee corpse.

> I thought maybe therefore unidentified ring I was wearing was a ring
> of resist poison. (It was fairly early in the game, I was human, and
> had gotten no intrinsics yet.)

You were getting hungrier and hungrier, and you didn't take off that
ring? Don't you know that wearing rings consumes food, as well (unless
it's slow digestion). It might even have been an uncursed ring of
hunger.

> Until I walk a few squares further and a bunch of just-spawned Mordor
> Orcs appear; one shoots me with a poisoned orcish arrow ... that
> poison was deadly.... DYWYPI? (The ring was regeneration.)

Regeneration is a ring that consumes even more food than other rings.
This was probably the reason why you were so hungry in the first place.

> Any source divers know what the chances are of being poisoned by a
> killer bee corpse? Mostly just curious. I'd obviously foolishly
> mistaken the not-being poisoned by the bee for invincibility to
> poison--a very bad mistake when charging enemies with poison-tipped
> weapons. :)

Sorry, no idea.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:38:17 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 spam@deathquaker.org wrote:

> A very many thanks to the other two posters who actually answered my
> question (and yes, I know you do have a chance of actually benefiting
> from eating such things), rather than enumerate all the things I did
> wrong that had nothing to do with what I was actually asking about. :)

Actually, I didn't answer that uestion *because* other already had and I
just thought it was not really worth to have the same answer again and
agian.

And I (and probably also Boudewijn) disserted about the few mistakes you
(may have) made because I didn't know how skilled/spoiled a player your
are and maybe didn't knew that rings cause extra hunger or other stuff.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:32:34 AM

On 28 Jul 2005 07:04:54 -0700
spam@deathquaker.org wrote:

>when charging enemies with poison-tipped
>weapons. :)

I usually let THEM charge me, and bury myself in the wall to deflect missiles.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:53:54 AM

spam@deathquaker.org wrote:
> I was playing a priest who had the misfortune of being rather hungry;
> no damn edible creatures were dropping corpses and not a piece of food
> in sight (even my wolfsbane and garlic were gone). I get attacked by
> killer bees and kill them, and they drop corpses. I had the restore
> ability spell so I decided to take a risk and eat one to at least stave
> off hunger until I could find something better. I was sure bees were
> _always_ poisonous when eaten--but no poison!

It's probably not worth eating bees for the nutrition. Bees
aren't very filling, and casting restore ability will burn nutrition.

On the other hand, it might get you poison resistance, which
expands your potential diet.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

spam@deathquaker.org wrote in

> The question being, what's the chance of a killer bee poisoning you
> when eaten?
>
> I was playing a priest who had the misfortune of being rather hungry;
> no damn edible creatures were dropping corpses and not a piece of food
> in sight (even my wolfsbane and garlic were gone). I get attacked by
> killer bees and kill them, and they drop corpses. I had the restore
> ability spell so I decided to take a risk and eat one to at least stave
> off hunger until I could find something better. I was sure bees were
> _always_ poisonous when eaten--but no poison!

Just out of curiosity, how many killer bee corpses DID you eat?
!