Disapointing P4

G

Watching the rollout of the P4 line has been a huge disapointment. I was interested because I am about to build a System. The Brookdale and the P4 Xeon were Intels chance to redeem there product but...
The first P4 has a terrible FPU, great bandwidth of which, it will not take advantage. Most Intel supporters stated "Wait for Brookdale" or "wait for the Xeon". Well we waited and they perform no better. Toms review of the brookdale is very telling.
Intel thinks it has invented "Crack Light" and we are all addicts. The Intel montra seems to be "take what we give you and like it because we are Intel." This stragedy may have worked before the Athlon, but not any more.
This is a compleatly ego
centric view but recent additions to the Highend testcenterhttp://www.highend3d.com/tests/maya/testcenter/database.3d
place the P4 Xeon behind the Athlon and even the P3. I find it hard to belive that people actualy spending money on these things.
This is not to say that future Intell products will be as lacking as the current one's, but a change in mindset (read managment) will be required.
I am voting with my dollars and they are going for (2) 1.2MP Athlon's with 1Gig ram and 2 X15's
Anim88tor

FatBurger

Illustrious
And you're gonna have a really sweet system.

But I'm still waiting to see a P4 Northwood with DDR instead of Rambus.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yaa
those brockdale benchmarks were really sad...
i was tempted to loan THG my PC150 sdram :)

how long before intel realises that DDRis NEEDED.
no more blue man adverts please.

mmm my athie 1200C has been running SETI@home for 3 days straight now :)

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

dhlucke

Polypheme
WOW, has intel lost their mind? Maybe they really are on crack?! The performance there is so pathetic that I'm sure only their most loyal contracted OEM's will be using that setup...

The fact that a P4 1.7 Ghz performs on par with an Athlon 1.2 Ghz is truly frightening. I wish we could get an official statement from Intel...

I'm still not giving up hope though. Intel is bound to get their act together. The problem is that most people won't have a clue about these benchmarks so Intel is just releasing products for marketing purposes, not performance...

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I was thinking that they take 60% and then the two giants fight over that 10% majority. It would probably help motivate Intel to get thier act together.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

G

Hmmm, FAB capacity would seem to suggest that AMD couldn't possably take that much market share from Intel without years to build more FABs. But if the bottom falls out of the CPU market, Intel will be the one losing all the sales (do to the fact that they must sell there chips at higher prices to break even), meaning AMD might just get to the 40%-50% level. Unless Intel lets itself bleed money in exchange for market share.

Ok I'm done rambling...

Anyway forget Intel, VIA and other will have a decent P4 DDR chipset out long before Intel. Brookdale SDR is designed for the "screw the uninformed consumer" market.

I AM Canadian.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
be interesting that - Intel have always made the best chipsets for Intel CPU - not sure VIA will do better - unless you count Intel releasing bad chipset to marketing rather than performance (845)

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I can't wait till fugger and amdmeltdown have to face the fact that the via chipsets are causing compatability issues with the pentium4, and amdmeltdown's sig will read

"intel and via you STILL are the weakest link, goodbye"

<sarcasm>if via kills amd what will it do to p4 ddr?</sarcasm>

BOWSER" P4 WITH VIA DDR IS SO FAST AND STABLE VIA RULES ALL"

Hypocrites

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Intel P4 Xeon is a workstation chip meant for Database's and webservers. you dumb amd puppies look at it for network wise.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
AnandTech <i>did</i> review the dual Xeons as server CPU's. The dual AthlonMP's still mopped the floor with Intel's best--in an SSE2-optimized benchmark, no less.

Perhaps you should rephrase your line:

"Intel P4 Xeon is an overpriced chip meant for people who want to pay way too much to get way too little. We dumb Intel lapdogs just don't know any better."

Hey everyone...should I cane this dumbass again?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

>you dumb amd puppies look at it for network wise.

WTF?

>! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

LoL,
If I were Meltdown or Fugger, I'd be bitching at bowser to change his signature. It makes them look bad by association. And that is some accomplishment!

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

school is good take a math class.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Hey Booso, lay off. Funny how the P4 Xeon get's out performed by Athlon MP's eh, in database's and the whole 9 yards. And I like how he goes off topic, not even comenting on the poor performance of i845.
Live up to the facts, review the benchmarks, stop telling yourself that your precious Intel is the best. I'm not an AMD Zealot, I don't even own an AMD based machine, but I go for what is best for the $$$. AMD gives that, and with added bonus's, MORE performance. I'm just saving up to get my A-4.
Live with it dude, Intel has its problems (i845, i820, P4 Performance, RAMBUS and now Sdram only based machines, If it's performance wasnt hindered by RAMBUS, now we got old Sdram on there....it's either To Expensive and not worth it, or still more expensive than AMD baed and disgusting performance. AMD has its problems (not manufa. there own chipsets in enormous amounts) but live with it. Nothings perfect. So stop saying all the crap about how AMD is sooo terrible and blah blah blah. Look at good and bad of both, not just Good of Intel and bad of AMD, there is 2 sides to everything.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL
Oh my i can't stop laughing now. Aparently you peopel are Nazi's now because Booso shot himself in the foot with his staements, so instead of talkign about hardware, were talkign about World War attributes.
LoL.
Booso, do you realize how dumb you look now by saying that.
Your pretty much saying "Oh, so because you don't like us Intel fan's your racist against Jewish people"
Man, get a life now, or forever hold your piece (b4 sum 1 cuts it off u 'tard).

-MeTaL RoCkEr

G

Life is good. Don't ruin it by taking drugs and dropping out of school.

G

Don't drink and drive.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bowser on 07/03/01 11:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Now your trying to put words in my mouth, dude, get a life.
I'm not a part of Nazi party's or the KKK, I don't kill people and I haven't hung any black men, so where are you getting this from ?
Now, becasue I know I don't make anyone sick to the stomach (except for you now) I think everyone will be happy, especialyl knowing you have a weakness, Booso is getting sick, maybe he wont ever come back here. =)
BTW everyone, seeign as how you can all ready his post..

"MeTaLrOcKeR are you a member of the nazi party and the KKK you like to kill jews and hang black men you make me sick to the stomach."

Do you see how immature this women is? Sum 1 ban this girl.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

G

>your a nazi cuz you dont like intel users. You want to send them to a camp.

<font color=red>Ok Bowser, I'll cut you a little slack because I figure you're what 12 years old or so. But read some history your loser. Calling someone a Nazi is no damned joke, especially wrt something as trivial as your choice in CPUs. <b>Grow up or go away.</b></font color=red>

As for Intel, I've benchmarked my stuff on every processor family that Intel currently has released (except for the Celeron and the P4 Xeon). Have you? On my app, the P4 was absolutely dead last in $$$/performance. 100% higher then the Athlon solutions. It was lousy in terms of absolute performance also, about the equivalent of a 900MHz Athlon-B

I'll use Intel again when they have the best solution for my dollars.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

school is good read a book instead

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
You do realize from saying what you did to me I can get you in some serious criminal stuff here. It's called slander.
Who's up for letting the good old people who run this Forum know what Bowser has said.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MeTaLrOcKeR on 07/03/01 11:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
dont worry, bowser isn't answering because he is afraid and can't come up with a good comeback (we all remember "Look whos talking").

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed