260 card with core 2 duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout65

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Im looking at laptops at Newegg. This would be to replace a desktop and play some games. They have a couple that have the 260 which on notebookcheck.com, looks to be a pretty decent card. The problem is, they only offer it with the core 2 duo. I read an article about how to have a balanced system to prevent bottlenecks, and it seems the core duo may do this. Should I go with the nvidia GE force 540m or the ATI Mobile Radeon 5730 which are offered with i5, i7. Theres also the AMD 5660 and the ATI MR 6550 which are offered with the AMD Phenom2 x4. Some also only offer DDR2, should I take this into consideration? Optimus and graphics switching are also in the specs, but I don't know much about them. There seems to be a lot of variables. Anyone have any ideas on how to buy a balanced system that will play most modern games at medium or high?

If you focus on games the GTX 260 should outperform the others.
For everything else it's likely to lag behind the other choices.

ss125.jpg

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
i'd get a better proc than core 2. graphics wise, the gtx 260 is very good (for a laptop) but keep in mind if your processor isn't fast enough to do the cpu calculations in the game, you won't be able to just lower the eye candy... the game will just be laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.