EGG as "editor"?

I was just reading one of the articles in "Beyond Role and Play", a
collection of scholarly and semi-scholarly articles on RPGs, which can
be found for free at http://www.ropecon.fi/brap/ (it was "in search of
the self" by Paul Mason). Mason describes Gygax as being (only) the
"editor" of the original D&D game, and seems to claim Arneson wrote the
whole thing.

Has anyone ever heard *anything* that matches this? While there are
certainly those who think Arneson's contributions are underappreciated,
and some of his later treatment by Gygax and others does seem to have
been questionable, this is a new one, at least to me. I have never
before heard anyone claim Gygax didn't at least *co*-write OD&D [1] as
the credits say. Anyone know of anything, preferably from an unbiased
source, that backs Mason up?

**************

[1] I am well aware that Gygax is nowhere to be found in the credits for
Basic D&D, but contrary to popular belief (even among people who should
know better) that is a very different animal from the original D&D game,
and in fact the forms of it most of us know are more recent than AD&D.
If you cite anything from a BD&D book as supporting Mason's point, I
will almost certainly stop reading there on the grounds that you don't
know what you're talking about.

JF

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
> I was just reading one of the articles in "Beyond Role and Play", a
> collection of scholarly and semi-scholarly articles on RPGs, which can
> be found for free at http://www.ropecon.fi/brap/ (it was "in search of
> the self" by Paul Mason). Mason describes Gygax as being (only) the
> "editor" of the original D&D game, and seems to claim Arneson wrote the
> whole thing.
>
> Has anyone ever heard *anything* that matches this? While there are
> certainly those who think Arneson's contributions are underappreciated,
> and some of his later treatment by Gygax and others does seem to have
> been questionable, this is a new one, at least to me. I have never
> before heard anyone claim Gygax didn't at least *co*-write OD&D [1] as
> the credits say. Anyone know of anything, preferably from an unbiased
> source, that backs Mason up?

Wasn't Arneson the primary if not the exclusive author of the Chainmail
rules?

I do know from reading about the Lake Geneva days in the various Gygax
Q&A's that Arneson was the first DM and there were some philosophical
differences in the way Arneson and Gygax wanted the game to evolve.

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn JF just said...
> Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
> > I was just reading one of the articles in "Beyond Role and Play", a
> > collection of scholarly and semi-scholarly articles on RPGs, which can
> > be found for free at http://www.ropecon.fi/brap/ (it was "in search of
> > the self" by Paul Mason). Mason describes Gygax as being (only) the
> > "editor" of the original D&D game, and seems to claim Arneson wrote the
> > whole thing.
> >
> > Has anyone ever heard *anything* that matches this? While there are
> > certainly those who think Arneson's contributions are underappreciated,
> > and some of his later treatment by Gygax and others does seem to have
> > been questionable, this is a new one, at least to me. I have never
> > before heard anyone claim Gygax didn't at least *co*-write OD&D [1] as
> > the credits say. Anyone know of anything, preferably from an unbiased
> > source, that backs Mason up?
> >
> Wasn't Arneson the primary if not the exclusive author of the Chainmail
> rules?

Far from it, if the credits are anything to go by; that was by Gygax and
a fellow named Jeff Perren, and predates Arneson's involvement.

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

> Far from it, if the credits are anything to go by; that was by Gygax and
> a fellow named Jeff Perren, and predates Arneson's involvement.

Was Jeff Perren the guy who's death resulted in Lorraine Williams
getting power in TSR?
--
Stephenls
Geek

Stephenls wrote:

<snip>

> Was Jeff Perren the guy who's death resulted in Lorraine Williams
> getting power in TSR?

It was Don Kaye whose death eventually led to Lorraine Williams'
takeover.

According to Gary Gygax's website FAQ:

TSR had to buy out his wife's interest in the company, which led to a
cash shortage. Shares were sold to the Blumes to raise money, and Gary
Gygax couldn't afford to keep up with the share purchases. Lorraine
Williams eventually purchased the Blumes' shares and gained control.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020211014755/http://www.gygax.com/gygaxfaq.html#AD&D%20and%20My%20Leaving%20TSR

Arivne

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Stephenls just said...
> Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
>
> > Far from it, if the credits are anything to go by; that was by Gygax and
> > a fellow named Jeff Perren, and predates Arneson's involvement.
>
> Was Jeff Perren the guy who's death resulted in Lorraine Williams
> getting power in TSR?

I don't think *anyone's* death resulted in Williams taking over. You may
be thinking of Don Kaye, but even he died long before Williams came onto
the scene.

I believe it went more like this, though I could be mistaken:
* Kaye's death may have indirectly resulted in the Blumes becoming
major players, who were about as bad.
* Williams was Gygax's solution to the Blumes, but it turned out he's
created a monster; getting him removed was Williams' first official act,
or very nearly so.