Dell Dimension 3000

I see that Dell has just released the Dimension 3000. I suppose that
is the successor to the 2400?
6 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 3000

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> In my case, a hurricane woke me up.....
    >>>

    >> Well, Tom, since that's the case, I hope things are okay with you and
    >> yours.
    >>
    >> And with Ivan not far behind....good grief.
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>
    > So far so good. We're outside Orlando and so far it is just wet and windy.

    With regard to the Dim3000, it appears to be similar to the Optiplex 160 or
    170L; a dual channel mb with only two sockets and no AGP. Basically looks
    like just a speed upgrade to the 2400.....

    Stew

    On the small business site, the 3000 is $30 more than the 2400. I'd pay $30
    for the 800FSB and HT.

    Tom

    > But the 2400 is just fine for digital images and music downloading. I use
    > Photoshop CS on mine to edit RAW files from my Nikon D70. As long as you
    > have enough memory, and for most people a GB is enough.
    >
    > It's not a gaming machine.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, it's not my primary machine, but it is my home theater
    > machine and it works flawless, complete with 1.1 terabytes of disk.
    >
    > Tom

    Not unlike Hank, I'll almost always steer someone to a dual-channel stripped
    down Dim4600.

    It at least offers them multiple performance/upgrade options such as adding
    an AGP card, a second drive, and more total RAM with generally better
    dual-channel performance out of the box.

    While there are some environments perfect for the Dim2400, it's the chance
    that the end user will want to exceed those limitations (later at some
    point) that cause me to bump them to the 4600.

    Stew

    >> But the 2400 is just fine for digital images and music downloading. I use
    >> Photoshop CS on mine to edit RAW files from my Nikon D70. As long as you
    >> have enough memory, and for most people a GB is enough.
    >>
    >> It's not a gaming machine.
    >>
    >> Don't get me wrong, it's not my primary machine, but it is my home
    >> theater machine and it works flawless, complete with 1.1 terabytes of
    >> disk.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >

    > Not unlike Hank, I'll almost always steer someone to a dual-channel
    > stripped down Dim4600.
    >
    > It at least offers them multiple performance/upgrade options such as
    > adding an AGP card, a second drive, and more total RAM with generally
    > better dual-channel performance out of the box.
    >
    > While there are some environments perfect for the Dim2400, it's the chance
    > that the end user will want to exceed those limitations (later at some
    > point) that cause me to bump them to the 4600.
    >

    > Stew

    Don't get me wrong, I would too, particularly if it is their only machine.
    My only point is that the 2400/3000 have their place.

    Tom

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> But the 2400 is just fine for digital images and music downloading. I
    >>> use Photoshop CS on mine to edit RAW files from my Nikon D70. As long as
    >>> you have enough memory, and for most people a GB is enough.
    >>>
    >>> It's not a gaming machine.
    >>>
    >>> Don't get me wrong, it's not my primary machine, but it is my home
    >>> theater machine and it works flawless, complete with 1.1 terabytes of
    >>> disk.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>

    >> Not unlike Hank, I'll almost always steer someone to a dual-channel
    >> stripped down Dim4600.
    >>
    >> It at least offers them multiple performance/upgrade options such as
    >> adding an AGP card, a second drive, and more total RAM with generally
    >> better dual-channel performance out of the box.
    >>
    >> While there are some environments perfect for the Dim2400, it's the
    >> chance that the end user will want to exceed those limitations (later at
    >> some point) that cause me to bump them to the 4600.
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>

    > Don't get me wrong, I would too, particularly if it is their only machine.
    > My only point is that the 2400/3000 have their place.
    >
    > Tom

    Agreed, Tom.

    I agree Tom, In it's place for specific uses such as surfing the Net, Email,
    etc. My wife has one with a PCI video card that I added and she loves it.
    Does everything she wants from the bit of computing she does but
    specifically runs Hardwood Solitaire on enhanced mode like a charm....grin

    My system though is the 4600...one does not exist on Internet alone. Doom 3
    and such have been known to be seen on my system, from time to time.

    Regards,
    John O.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> But the 2400 is just fine for digital images and music downloading. I
    >>> use Photoshop CS on mine to edit RAW files from my Nikon D70. As long as
    >>> you have enough memory, and for most people a GB is enough.
    >>>
    >>> It's not a gaming machine.
    >>>
    >>> Don't get me wrong, it's not my primary machine, but it is my home
    >>> theater machine and it works flawless, complete with 1.1 terabytes of
    >>> disk.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>

    >> Not unlike Hank, I'll almost always steer someone to a dual-channel
    >> stripped down Dim4600.
    >>
    >> It at least offers them multiple performance/upgrade options such as
    >> adding an AGP card, a second drive, and more total RAM with generally
    >> better dual-channel performance out of the box.
    >>
    >> While there are some environments perfect for the Dim2400, it's the
    >> chance that the end user will want to exceed those limitations (later at
    >> some point) that cause me to bump them to the 4600.
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>

    > Don't get me wrong, I would too, particularly if it is their only machine.
    > My only point is that the 2400/3000 have their place.
    >
    > Tom

Dell Dimension Computers