win2000 question

sarah

Thought I posted this earlier from work but can't seem to find it
anywhere...

I've just got a new work pc with windows 2000 pro on it and the command
prompt is making my nethack experience dark and dingy - most of the
characters are really dark now and have lost their colour - doorways are
dark grey not redish brown fountains are really dark blue - some things
- lichens for instance are still really bright but stuff just keeps
passing me by or sneaking up on me due to the drab colouredness.

any thoughts?

Sarah wrote:
> Thought I posted this earlier from work but can't seem to find it
> anywhere...
>
> I've just got a new work pc with windows 2000 pro on it and the command
> prompt is making my nethack experience dark and dingy - most of the
> characters are really dark now and have lost their colour - doorways are
> dark grey not redish brown fountains are really dark blue - some things
> - lichens for instance are still really bright but stuff just keeps
> passing me by or sneaking up on me due to the drab colouredness.
>
> any thoughts?

If you click on the system icon at the top left of the command prompt
window, select "Properties", and then navigate to the "Colors" tab,
you can change the default 16 colours to brighter ones. You can also do
this by changing the properties of a shortcut icon to the prompt, which
is a good way to store the settings permanently.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Sarah <sarah.mccormick@virgin.net> wrote in news:42E95954.8080902@virgin.net:

> Thought I posted this earlier from work but can't seem to find it
> anywhere...
>
> I've just got a new work pc with windows 2000 pro on it and the command
> prompt is making my nethack experience dark and dingy - most of the
> characters are really dark now and have lost their colour - doorways are
> dark grey not redish brown fountains are really dark blue - some things
> - lichens for instance are still really bright but stuff just keeps
> passing me by or sneaking up on me due to the drab colouredness.
>
> any thoughts?

is that full-screen, or in a window?

Sarah wrote:

> Thought I posted this earlier from work but can't seem to find it
> anywhere...
>
> I've just got a new work pc with windows 2000 pro on it and the
> command prompt is making my nethack experience dark and dingy - most
> of the characters are really dark now and have lost their colour -
> doorways are dark grey not redish brown fountains are really dark blue
> - some things - lichens for instance are still really bright but stuff
> just keeps passing me by or sneaking up on me due to the drab
> colouredness.
>
> any thoughts?

Check the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor? When the sun
shines brightly (and the temperature exceeds 98'F) I have to turn up the
contrast on both laptop and desktop to get Nethack to display properly
on Windows systems.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:20:22 -0500
Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Check the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor? When the sun
>shines brightly (and the temperature exceeds 98'F) I have to turn up the
>contrast on both laptop and desktop to get Nethack to display properly
>on Windows systems.

So when a window is open, nethack doesn't work properly.

noah bedford wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:20:22 -0500
>Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>

>>Check the brightness and/or contrast on your monitor? When the sun
>>shines brightly (and the temperature exceeds 98'F) I have to turn up the
>>contrast on both laptop and desktop to get Nethack to display properly
>>on Windows systems.
>>

>So when a window is open, nethack doesn't work properly.

Ahh, no. I stated when the Texas summer is more like Hell than Earth,
Nethack's operating environment may need adjustment.