YAFAP - agony-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2005 12:39:03 PM

-- SPOILERS AHEAD --

A few days ago I posted about a game that I lost when my computer
crashed and couldn't recover. A bunch of people tried to help to no avail. I
waited for a day or two and then decided to give it another try.
I finally did it. I've been playing Nethack off and on for about 2
years now (by which I mean I'd play quite a bit for a month, and then not
play for 3) so it feels good to finally ascend. I always played Valkyries
and an occasional Barbarian, but this time I decided to give a Samurai
a shot. I'm now convinced that Samurai are the easiest role to ascend.
I started this game a few days ago and didn't really take notes, so this
might not be perfectly accurate.

I started off with my little dog and decent stats, and a blindfold to
boot. The first two rooms I explored were both dark; a bad omen? I found
two spellbooks on the first level as well as two rations, which really
helped free me to explore a bit without worrying about starving. Alas,
my fluffy companion didn't last past the very first level.
Level 2 brought a pair of Jungle boots in the first room. I didn't know
it yet, but later when I buc-identified them and tried them on I found
they were jumping boots. More food was found on this level, along with
a hardware store where I purchased a lamp and a key. Unfortunately
there were no bags. Level 3 contained the entrance to the mines; I didn't
feel ready to enter yet so I continued on down the main branch.
Nothing on level 4, but level 5 made up for it. Besides being the
Oracle level, it had scrolls, a spellbook, and a bag. I tested the bag with
the encumber-yourself-with-rocks-and-stash-them method and it turned out
to be holding! I couldn't believe my luck.
Level 6 gave me a floating eye corpse for telepathy; quite nice since I
already had the blindfold. A leprechaun hall gave me a nice bit of
cash, and then I found the stairs to Sokoban.
The first Sokoban level was easy and uneventful, but on the second one a
nymph stole one of the scrolls of earth I had picked up (I know, I
should have put them in the damn bag) and decided to read it and clog the
level with boulders. Yay. I couldn't progress further without a way to
rid myself of all those boulders, so I decided to try the mines.
The first mines level was a bones file of a wizard named (how original)
Gandalf courtesy of Hearse. I love finding wizard bones files as a
combat class because of the almost guaranteed cloak of magic resistance. I
gathered up the cloak, scrolls, rings and spellbooks and looked for the
exit. The wizard's pet cat found me first, and he was a lot tougher
than me. I fan onto a teleportation trap and it happened to put me near
the downstair, so I beat a hasty retreat downward and vowed to return and
squash the little fuzzball when I was ready.
Mine 2 was nothing, and 3 was another bones file from Hearse, of another
wizard. This one had a nice find: Magicbane. I grabbed MB and the
cloak of mr as a spare and kept going down. Level 4 was Minetown, with a
cross-aligned altar. Damn, I could have really used holy water. Oh
well, I donated the leprechauns' pots of gold and the gold from the two
wizards and got a decent bit of protection. With my AC finally under 0 I
felt ready to continue. The shops didn't really have anything special.
The next level was the third and last bones file I'd find in that game,
of /yet another/ wizard. He also had a magic lamp and 2 amulets, which
I grabbed and used as a light source. I grabbed his stuff and ferried
it back upstairs to a corner of the temple where I carved Elbereth.
The rest of the mines were uneventful. Mines End was the gnomish wine
cellar, and imagine my delight when I found out that booze was smoky! I
grabbed the booze and luckstone and headed back to the main dungeon
branch, stopping to squish Gandalf's cat on the way.
By this point I was really in need of an altar for some holy water to
bless my bag, luckstone, and smoky potions, not to mention uncursing the
cloak of MR I had put on. I couldn't wear the nice dwarven mithril I
picked up because the damn cloak wouldn't come off.
I finally found an altar on level 13. It was cross-aligned. With a
priest. I was angry. Then I went to the next room and found another magic
lamp. During my descent down I had picked up a few potions of water,
so I dropped them on the altar and luckily one was pre-blessed. I dipped
the lamp, rubbed it, and... "Thank you for freeing me!" ARRRG.
I went back to minetown to collect my thoughts and decide what to do
next. When I was there I price ID'ed a few scrolls and found an identify.
I read it and it ID'ed everything, including a wand of polymorph and an
amulet of reflection that I had picked up from bones #3. That gave me
a crazy idea, and I figured I had nothing left to lose. I went over to
the temple, made sure I had on my amulet and cloak, and zapped the
priestess. She turned into a jellyfish. One smack and she was gone, it
happened so quick her god didn't even notice. A quick sacrifice and I had
an aligned altar, finally. I stayed here for a while, sacrificing until
I could pray and get some holy water. I dipped my 7 potions of booze
and drank them, getting one "Thanks for freeing me!" and one wish out of
the deal. I wished for Frostbrand. My last game had given me 6
artifacts before it decided I had earned Frostbrand, and I wasn't going to let
that happen again. I also managed to uncurse my damn cloak and get some
mithril on instead of my split mail.
I twoweaponed my katana and FB while sacrificing for quite a while. I
got Snickersnee at one point, but it never touched my fingers the whole
game. While I wantonly slaughtered anything foolish enough to come near,
I got three, yes three, magic markers. Then I took all the spellbooks
and rings I had gotten from the wizards and stacked them in a nice row
and polymorphed them. It took me a magic marker's worth of identify
scrolls to ID all of them, but when I was done I had multiple copies of the
3 I wanted: remove curse, identify, and cure sickness. I also got one
of light, which was especially handy much later in Ghennom.
After sacrificing to my heart's content, I delved back deeper and
decided to pay the temple on level 13 a visit. I slaughtered the priestess
and set up a new base camp there. I went down quite a few levels, never
saw Luidos or the big room. I found the portal for my quest, but
definitely wasn't ready yet.
I eventually stumbled onto a polymorph trap which presented a nice
opportunity. I'd grabbed a magic whistle and so I found a kitten, fed her,
and whistled her onto the trap until she became an Arch-Lich. Very nice.

After a while I got down to Medusa. I had an uncursed -1 pair of
levitation boots from a bones file to cross the water and the Lich to take
care of some of the nastier monsters. I ran over, blindfolded myself and
killed her. Perseus had the shield, which my Lich promptly grabbed. At
the point I realized she could use equipment, so I gave her my spare
cloak of mr (I had fireproofed mine already) to prevent any unfortunate
level teleport accidents.
I had a full suit of armor by now, but it was just normal armor. I went
down to the castle and with the help of my Lich it went pretty
smoothly. The wand of wishing brought me charging scrolls, speed boots, grey
dragon scale mail, a helm of brilliance, a ring of slow digestion, and
gauntlets of dexterity. I switched around my equipment and set myself up
for spellcasting with a robe from one of the temples in place of the
cloak of mr. In the game before this one I had found a ring of slow
digestion and it was amazingly useful, so I couldn't help but burn a wish on
one. The final wish was rested out and used for a magic marker.
The one thing this game was stingy with was scrolls. When I got to the
castle I had maybe 10 scrolls total in my bag. I used two of my magic
markers to fireproof and enchant most of my armor and bring my AC down to
a cool -30. I knew I still wasn't ready for Ghennom and/or an
ascension with my measly collection of scrolls, so I decided to do some pudding
farming.
I had found a cursed scroll of genocide somewhere, and so I went back up
to level 13 and started it off. Having a stethoscope made it much
easier, and before I knew it I was swimming in pudding. After quite a while
I decided to go to the next level and read some of the enchanting
scrolls I had gotten, so I fought my way through only to find a
pudding-logged level below me. Apparently there was a hole in the upper level and I
had been pushing them through. Oh well, I went down another level and
read my stuff.
I read two scrolls of genocide and genocided my usual first two picks: h
and L. Only as I pressed enter did I realize that my pet was an L.
Too late, fluffy disappeared leaving me petless. I had to fix that, so I
went back to the polymorph trap level, found a kitten, and polymorphed
her into a Jabberwock. Jabberwocks are my favorite pets, so I decided to
attempt the quest.
The quest went very smoothly. The Jabberwock helped out quite a bit. I
found an amulet of lifesaving on the bottom level and put it on,
knowing what I was about to face (I learned the hard way the last time I play
a Samurai). Sure enough, my nemesis teleported next to me. My
jabberwock and I fought bravely, and then I got bisected. The amulet
disintegrated and I managed to kill him before he got another chance. I put back
on my amulet of reflection and grabbed the loot and headed back
upstairs.
I went back up and cleaned out the pudding infestations with my Tsurugi
(non-iron) and Jabberwock. I had gotten quite a few scrolls, potions,
etc, but was still only level 20. My solution was to use unholy water
and a magic marker to make 2 cursed scrolls of genocide, ditch my pet for
a moment, and reverse genocide wraiths. 2 scrolls later I was level 29.
I got a bit cocky then and reverse genocided tengus and tinned 4 of
them. 3 tins later I had teleportitis and teleport control. I enchanted
the rest of my armor, made sure my stash was in place and secure, and
headed down.
In the valley nothing special happened. I donated the rest of my cash I
had liberated from the temples to the priest, with no luck. I re-read
my spellbooks and checked my equipment and headed down into Ghennom.
Ghennom was really not that bad. I had a couple lamps, plenty of wands
of digging, the clairvoyance spell, and a good pet. The demons were
annoying but nothing too dangerous. I decided to switch my alternate
weapon from my katana to a silver saber and it helped quite a bit, even
though I was stupid and had advance two-handed sword in case I needed to use
my Tsurugi as a backup. I made it down, took out Vlad, found the
square, and headed back up to the Wizard. My Jabberwock and I made short work
of him, and soon I was performing the invocation.
I descended, took the priests slow and one at a time and cleared them
out without any really scary moments. The high priestess was alone in the
temple; one shot from Orcus' wand of death got her out of my way. I
grabbed and named the amulet and headed back up. The Wizard was a pain in
my ass the whole way; I recharged the wand of death twice with blessed
charging to get rid of him.
I stopped at my stash and grabbed what I needed, then continued my mad
dash for the planes. I finally made it up; I've only ever gotten to the
planes twice before.
Earth was easy, nothing much happened. My Jabberwock was left behind
here because the pig was eating as I entered the portal.
Air wasn't too bad either, I just used a scroll of gold detection and
headed to the portal as fast as I could. Potions of speed saved me here
when I had to take off my speed boots for my levitation ones.
Fire was pathetic, 40 turns and I was through it.

Water took forever. For some reason the damn portal would simply not
merge into my bubble. After a while it finally decided to let me through,
and I was on to astral.
My guardian angel and I took stock of the situation. Death was near the
right temple, Famine near the left, and Pestilence in the center. I
had 1 shot left in my wand of death and cure sickness at 0% failure so I
decided Pestilence was my best option. I headed to the center
teleporting stuff out of my way, Pestilence went down to my wand of death easily.
I ran into the temple, closed and locked the door, crossed my finger
and stepped onto... the lawful altar. I was estatic. A #offer later and
I had ascended for the first time.

Thank you to everyone in the newsgroup who helped me on my last post,
and to everyone else too for being a great source of information.

agony, lawful male human Samurai

---------
|.S.....|
|...@...|
|...@...|
|.......|
| |.......| |
|. ----+---- .|
|.......(.....|
---.........---
-----|-----

---

-- %
--
----%-
%

Agony the Shogun St:18/82 Dx:22 Co:18 In:19 Wi:22 Ch:14 Lawful
Astral Plane $:0 HP:190(241) Pw:191(204) AC:-37 Xp:30/100254230 T:76411

Your inventory
Weapons
a - a blessed rustproof +7 katana named Renata (wielded in other hand)
e - the blessed rustproof +7 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
g - a blessed +7 silver saber named Regina
Tools
c - an uncursed sack
d - an uncursed magic whistle
f - an uncursed blindfold
k - an uncursed skeleton key
w - a blessed bag of holding
H - an uncursed very rusty stethoscope
Z - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
Potions
o - a blessed diluted potion of full healing
Comestibles
J - a cursed lembas wafer
S - 2 uncursed lembas wafers
X - an uncursed lizard corpse
Wands
n - a wand of teleportation (0:0)
v - a wand of teleportation (0:7)
Armor
b - an uncursed +4 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
i - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
u - an uncursed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
E - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)
O - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
V - an uncursed fireproof +4 robe (being worn)
Amulets
C - an uncursed amulet of reflection (being worn)
Rings
z - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on right hand)
F - a blessed ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
Gems
B - an uncursed luckstone

Contents of the sack:
a rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
a cursed very rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
a cursed wand of cancellation (0:6)
a rusty wand of cancellation (0:8)
a rusty wand of cancellation (0:3)

Contents of the bag of holding:
an uncursed -1 pair of levitation boots
an uncursed spellbook of remove curse
an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
3 uncursed diluted potions of speed
a blessed scroll of gold detection
the rustproof +0 Magicbane
an uncursed ring of levitation
2 potions of holy water
a blessed magic marker (1:12)
a wand of cold (0:3)
5 uncursed lumps of royal jelly
a wand of digging (0:8)
an uncursed potion of extra healing
a cursed scroll of gold detection
an uncursed potion of speed
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 6
an uncursed amulet of reflection
a rusty tinning kit (0:32)
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 5
an uncursed amulet of life saving
a blessed amulet of life saving
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 4
a +0 unicorn horn
a blessed spellbook of identify
a +0 unicorn horn
a +0 unicorn horn
2 uncursed potions of gain energy
5 cursed potions of full healing
an uncursed potion of water
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 3
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 2
an uncursed scroll of blank paper
2 uncursed scrolls of teleportation
a magic marker (1:0)
an uncursed spellbook of blank paper
a wand of polymorph (1:0)
a wand of enlightenment (0:5)
an uncursed wax candle
a cursed tallow candle
a blessed spellbook of clairvoyance
an uncursed +0 pair of water walking boots
a tinning kit (0:50)
2 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
a blessed -3 orcish dagger named Pudding Spoon
a blessed +4 cloak of displacement
a blessed diluted potion of full healing
a blessed diluted potion of gain energy
2 blessed scrolls of fire
a very rusty wand of speed monster (0:5)
5 uncursed diluted potions of full healing
a wand of striking (0:2)
an uncursed spellbook of create familiar
the blessed +0 Tsurugi of Muramasa
an uncursed ring of regeneration
an uncursed diluted potion of levitation
2 uncursed cram rations
a wand of fire (0:7)
2 potions of unholy water
an uncursed spellbook of blank paper
a cursed scroll of blank paper
the rustproof +0 Sunsword
an uncursed scroll of remove curse
a cursed potion of gain energy
a wand of digging (0:8)
2 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
a wand of secret door detection (0:11)
a wand of undead turning (0:6)
a wand of undead turning (0:5)
a wand of undead turning (0:7)
a wand of make invisible (0:4)
an uncursed amulet of unchanging
4 uncursed lembas wafers
an uncursed spellbook of light
a rusty wand of speed monster (0:6)
an uncursed +0 helm of brilliance
a rusty wand of create monster (0:14)
a wand of create monster (0:10)
a wand of lightning (0:4)
an uncursed ring of regeneration
an uncursed ring of teleportation
an uncursed very burnt +0 pair of jumping boots
a cursed ring of invisibility named Nazgul 1
an uncursed amulet of life saving
a wand of cold (0:5)
a cursed wand of lightning (0:6)
an uncursed very rusty ring of free action
a blessed scroll of teleportation
an uncursed spellbook of polymorph
an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed ring of teleport control
an uncursed rusty ring of free action
an uncursed ring of polymorph control
an uncursed rusty ring of warning
3 uncursed lizard corpses
an uncursed worthless piece of violet glass
2 uncursed diamonds
an uncursed worthless piece of yellowish brown glass
2 uncursed rubies
2 uncursed worthless pieces of red glass
2 uncursed amethyst stones
4 uncursed emeralds
2 uncursed worthless pieces of orange glass
3 uncursed worthless pieces of white glass
an uncursed aquamarine stone
an uncursed fluorite stone
a wand of magic missile (0:4)

Final attributes
You were the Hand of Elbereth
You were piously aligned
Your alignment was 392
You were fire resistant
You were cold resistant
You were sleep resistant
You were shock resistant
You were poison resistant
You were magic-protected
You saw invisible
You were telepathic
You were stealthy
You could teleport
You had teleport control
You had slower digestion
You regenerated
You were protected
You were very fast
You had reflection
You were wielding two weapons at once
You were very lucky (9)
You had extra luck
Bad luck did not time out for you
Good luck did not time out for you
You survived after being killed once

Spells known in the end
Name Level Category Fail
a - force bolt 1* attack 0%
b - create monster 2* clerical 0%
c - light 1 divination 0%
d - detect treasure 4 divination 41%
e - knock 1* matter 0%
f - confuse monster 2* enchantment 0%
g - polymorph 6* matter 98%
h - wizard lock 2* matter 0%
i - drain life 2* attack 0%
j - healing 1* healing 0%
k - sleep 1* enchantment 0%
l - extra healing 3* healing 0%
m - detect monsters 1* divination 0%
n - cancellation 7* matter 100%
o - remove curse 3 clerical 0%
p - create familiar 6* clerical 0%
q - magic missile 2* attack 0%
r - turn undead 6* clerical 0%
s - dig 5* matter 74%
t - jumping 1* escape 0%
u - slow monster 2* enchantment 0%
v - cure sickness 3 healing 0%
w - charm monster 3* enchantment 0%
x - identify 3 divination 0%
y - detect food 2* divination 0%
z - restore ability 4* healing 41%
A - protection 1* clerical 0%
B - invisibility 4* escape 41%
C - detect unseen 3* divination 0%
D - haste self 3* escape 0%
E - clairvoyance 3 divination 0%

Vanquished creatures
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (12 times)
Pestilence
an arch-lich
a high priest
Medusa
8 jabberwocks
7 Nazguls # almost got them all!
The Oracle # hungry Jabberwock + Oracle = dead Oracle
56 wraiths
255 brown puddings # my god must be sick of pudding by now
a white unicorn # oops
5 gray unicorns
10 black unicorns
3127 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:
hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
small mimics
large mimics
giant mimics
wood nymphs
water nymphs
mountain nymphs
lurkers above
trappers
purple worms
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
rust monsters
disenchanters
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens
28 species genocided.
Voluntary challenges
You genocided 28 types of monsters
You polymorphed 1386 items
You changed form 1 time
You used 10 wishes

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
martial arts [Basic]
two weapon combat [Expert]
Weapon Skills
short sword [Basic]
long sword [Expert]
two-handed sword [Expert]
bow [Basic]
Spellcasting Skills
clerical spells [Skilled]

Sayonara agony the Demigod...
You went to your reward with 4755694 points,
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
The Tsurugi of Muramasa (worth 4500 zorkmids and 11250 points)
Sunsword (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
9 worthless pieces of colored glass,
4 emeralds (worth 10000 zorkmids),
2 diamonds (worth 8000 zorkmids),
2 rubies (worth 7000 zorkmids),
2 amethyst stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
1 aquamarine stone (worth 1500 zorkmids),
1 fluorite stone (worth 400 zorkmids),
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
2 amulets of reflection (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of unchanging (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 76411 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 30 with a maximum of 241 hit points when you ascended.

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name
Hp [max] 1 4755694 agony-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law ascended to demigod-hood.
190 [241] 2 49185 agony-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 8 [max 11]. Killed by Yeenoghu.
- [109] 3 27377 agony-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom on
level 4 [max 7]. Killed by a blue jelly.
- [110]
July 29, 2005 12:39:04 PM

Steve Losh wrote:
> I've been playing Nethack off and on for about 2
> years now (by which I mean I'd play quite a bit for a month, and then not
> play for 3) so it feels good to finally ascend.

Congrats, and welcome to the demigod bar! It's tough to have to start
over after losing a promising character to a crash.

> Level 6 gave me a floating eye corpse for telepathy; quite nice since I
> already had the blindfold. A leprechaun hall gave me a nice bit of
> cash, and then I found the stairs to Sokoban.

Wow, I didn't realize you could find a leprechaun hall that early. I
guess my current game has one (1x3, more like a leprechaun closet) on
the Sokoban entrance level, too. But that's a couple levels deeper,
and I'd never seen one that high up before either.

> The first mines level was a bones file of a wizard named (how original)
> Gandalf courtesy of Hearse. I love finding wizard bones files as a
> combat class because of the almost guaranteed cloak of magic resistance. I
> gathered up the cloak, scrolls, rings and spellbooks and looked for the
> exit. The wizard's pet cat found me first, and he was a lot tougher
> than me. I fan onto a teleportation trap and it happened to put me near
> the downstair, so I beat a hasty retreat downward and vowed to return and
> squash the little fuzzball when I was ready.

I love Hearse - it makes playing on a pc so much more interesting!

> I dipped my 7 potions of booze
> and drank them, getting one "Thanks for freeing me!" and one wish out of
> the deal.

That's a great mental image - a samurai hanging out in the dungeon just
getting loaded.

> I wished for Frostbrand.

"The blethed fixthed pluth three Frotht Brand, pleathe."

> I ran into the temple, closed and locked the door, crossed my finger
> and stepped onto... the lawful altar. I was estatic.

That is a good feeling!

> Armor
> b - an uncursed +4 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
> i - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
> u - an uncursed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
> E - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)
> O - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being worn)
> V - an uncursed fireproof +4 robe (being worn)

Looks like you have my luck with enchanting armor.

> Z - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
> Contents of the bag of holding: [snipped and grouped]
> a +0 unicorn horn
> a +0 unicorn horn
> a +0 unicorn horn
> a wand of undead turning (0:6)
> a wand of undead turning (0:5)
> a wand of undead turning (0:7)
> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
> Contents of the sack:
> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
> a cursed very rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
> a cursed wand of cancellation (0:6)
> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:8)
> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:3)

Backups?

> You made the top ten list!
>
> No Points Name
> Hp [max] 1 4755694 agony-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law ascended to demigod-hood.

Congrats again! So what's next?
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:32:49 PM

"T-Bone" <g56789@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Wow, I didn't realize you could find a leprechaun hall that early. I
>guess my current game has one (1x3, more like a leprechaun closet) on
>the Sokoban entrance level, too. But that's a couple levels deeper,
>and I'd never seen one that high up before either.

This was the earliest I'd ever seen one. My bag let me stash away my
gold to they wouldn't port away, but it still took a nice bit of effort to
kill them.

>Looks like you have my luck with enchanting armor.

Even the cloak of displacement I had as a backup went to +4. Grr.

>> Z - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
>> Contents of the bag of holding: [snipped and grouped]
>> a +0 unicorn horn
>> a +0 unicorn horn
>> a +0 unicorn horn
>> a wand of undead turning (0:6)
>> a wand of undead turning (0:5)
>> a wand of undead turning (0:7)
>> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
>> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
>> an uncursed spellbook of cure sickness
>> Contents of the sack:
>> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
>> a cursed very rusty wand of cancellation (0:6)
>> a cursed wand of cancellation (0:6)
>> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:8)
>> a rusty wand of cancellation (0:3)
>
>Backups?

I always hold onto any unicorn horns I find for polymorphing into magic
markers. I guess I could have dropped them before the planes, but
didn't think of it. The undead turning wands were to keep my Jabberwock
alive through the planes. Too bad there's no wand to make them stop eating
and follow you. The spellbooks were backups as were the cancellation
wands.

>Congrats again! So what's next?

Thanks. Archeologist (after a short break).

--
-steve
Related resources

On 7/29/05 4:39 AM, Steve Losh wrote:

> I finally did it. I've been playing Nethack off and on for about 2
> years now (by which I mean I'd play quite a bit for a month, and then not
> play for 3) so it feels good to finally ascend.

Congratulations!

> I always played Valkyries
> and an occasional Barbarian, but this time I decided to give a Samurai
> a shot. I'm now convinced that Samurai are the easiest role to ascend.

Possibly for your playing style. But I think that having your first
really successful character can give you the illusion that its class is
the easiest. I think Samurai was about my seventh role to ascend, after
a lot of false starts.

It also seemed to me, during my first few ascensions, that I would work
hard with a particular character class and get nowhere, and then play
something else just on a lark and end up with an ascension. It appears
that that happened in your case.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
July 31, 2005 5:43:41 PM

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> Possibly for your playing style. But I think that having your first
> really successful character can give you the illusion that its class is
> the easiest. I think Samurai was about my seventh role to ascend, after
> a lot of false starts.
>
> It also seemed to me, during my first few ascensions, that I would work
> hard with a particular character class and get nowhere, and then play
> something else just on a lark and end up with an ascension. It appears
> that that happened in your case.

I think that people say to start off with Valkyries and Barbarians
because they're easy and /straightforward/ to ascend; but I think that
Samurais are easier if you know more about the game.

Valkyries and Barbarians have great combat skills and have nice HP.
Samurais are just as good to fight with (expert in long sword AND two
weapon combat?) and almost as good in the HP department.

Being able to gain levels in Clerical casting also means they can cast
"Remove Curse" with ease pretty early on (and later when wearing a
piece of non-casting armor). Remove curse is a great spell; especially
on the final run to the surface. You don't need to worry about
carrying 20 vials of holy water; just 4 or 5 for when you bag or other
critical item gets cursed. That frees up a lot of inventory room. Not
only that, but a Samurai's special spell is Clairvoyance which really
helps out if you don't have a ton of magic mapping scrolls in Ghennom.

Valkyries do get a pretty wonderful quest artifact, but I think I would
still take remove curse over it. In the late (post-quest) game I only
ever had to use two potions of full healing; one was in Moloch's
sanctum when I fought all the high priests and I could have just backed
off upstairs and rested, and the other was on Astral.

Maybe it IS just my playing style, but I definitely think that a
Samurai is easier to ascend once you've got some experience in the
game. I'm going to try to ascend Archeologist next, and after that I
want to try Valkyrie again to see how much progress I've made.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:32:47 PM

On 7/31/05 4:43 PM, stilllife@gmail.com wrote:

> I think that people say to start off with Valkyries and Barbarians
> because they're easy and /straightforward/ to ascend; but I think that
> Samurais are easier if you know more about the game.
>
> Valkyries and Barbarians have great combat skills and have nice HP.
> Samurais are just as good to fight with (expert in long sword AND two
> weapon combat?) and almost as good in the HP department.
>
> Being able to gain levels in Clerical casting also means they can cast
> "Remove Curse" with ease pretty early on (and later when wearing a
> piece of non-casting armor).

Well, there's the rub. You're talking about an advantage that occurs
much later on in the game, at a point where all the classes are getting
easier. I won't talk about Barbs, because I have yet to ascend one, but
the major advantage of Valks is that they start out with a killer piece
of armor - +3 shield - and *nothing else*. That means three points of
weightless AC that's not filling up a slot somewhere, and *every* piece
of armor you come across (except shields, obviously) is something that's
going to help you out even more. By comparison, Samurai start out with
splint mail, which is heavy, but it will take you a while to be able to
replace it with something better.

> Remove curse is a great spell; especially on the final run to the
> surface. You don't need to worry about carrying 20 vials of holy
> water; just 4 or 5 for when you bag or other critical item gets
> cursed. That frees up a lot of inventory room.

Granted, but blessed scrolls of remove curse accomplish the same thing
and don't make you hungry.

> Not only that, but a Samurai's special spell is Clairvoyance which
> really helps out if you don't have a ton of magic mapping scrolls in
> Ghennom.

Well, Cone of cold has its uses, too. :-) But really, I've never seen a
huge advantage with the "special spells" in-game. A few points less
failure rate. And clairvoyance can be bought from the priest of Moloch
in the Valley.

> Valkyries do get a pretty wonderful quest artifact, but I think I would
> still take remove curse over it.

It's not, strictly speaking, either-or. A 16th level Valk with maxed Wis
and a robe can cast Remove Curse at less than 50% failure. But really,
you'd take a spell that can be reproduced by writing scrolls over half
damage and level teleport at will?

> In the late (post-quest) game I only ever had to use two potions of
> full healing; one was in Moloch's sanctum when I fought all the high
> priests and I could have just backed off upstairs and rested, and the
> other was on Astral.

I don't see how this is related to one class over another. (Rereads.)
Okay, maybe you mean that the half damage isn't all that necessary,
given that you didn't get into hit point trouble much anyway.

> Maybe it IS just my playing style, but I definitely think that a
> Samurai is easier to ascend once you've got some experience in the
> game. I'm going to try to ascend Archeologist next, and after that I
> want to try Valkyrie again to see how much progress I've made.

Best of luck to you. Might be worthwhile to *retry* a Sam after having
ascended a few other characters. A different game, with different
variables (you might not get a Remove Curse spellbook so early) may lead
to different conclusions.

--

!