Various Questions

ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.

1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a Long
Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie? At the moment
the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.

2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?

3)What is the penalty for eating a human corpse (as a Lawfull Human
Samurai)?

4) What is the penalty for killing a co-aligned unicorn (as a Lawfull Human
Samurai)?

5) Can Artifact Weapons break while forcing open boxes?

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:26:49 GMT
chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:

>are silver swords rustproof?

Yes, silver is rustproof but (in real life) not corrodeproof.

BWIGLEY wrote:
> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
>
> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a Long
> Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie?

I wouldn't. Weapon artifacts will turn up eventually, so better wish for
DSM, speed boots, or even magic markers.

> At the moment
> the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.
>
> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?

How about Excaliburing your long sword?

> 3)What is the penalty for eating a human corpse (as a Lawfull Human
> Samurai)?

aggrevate monster intrinsic and 2 to 5 points of luck

> 4) What is the penalty for killing a co-aligned unicorn (as a Lawfull Human
> Samurai)?

-5 luck

> 5) Can Artifact Weapons break while forcing open boxes?

yes, but they have a 99% chance to resist.

Lars

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, BWIGLEY wrote:

> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
>
> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a Long
> Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie? At the moment
> the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.

There's only one item in the game that is better than a permanent light
source and you cannot wish for it since you're lawfull.

I have been through Gehennom with the Eyes twice and without permanent
light source once. And I'm not ready to waste a magic lamp again if I
don't have another one at hand or if I'm not in a "wish or die"
situtation. Plus it's only 80% wish (my last magic lamp rubbing session
only gave me one wish with two lamps).

Of course, if you don't really think you can reach Gehennom (typically
you've never been there), you may want to get the wish and increase your
chances right now because you don't know anything about your chacnes later
on. In which case DSM seems great.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

BWIGLEY wrote:

> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.

> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and
> a Long Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie?
> At the moment the only artifact I know that has been created is
> Snickershee.

If you already have an artefact (even if it's not the best), I think you
should consider other options, like some nice piece of armour which
grants magic resistance (+2 grey dragon scale mail or something like
that). Since you're playing a samurai, I would pass on the speed boots
that are usually on top of my list, since an S starts with speed
already. These can wait for later.

By the way, it's SnickersNee.

> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?

I'm not really sure, but you might at least wield the sword for a while
to raise your skill to expert, if it isn't already so.

> 3)What is the penalty for eating a human corpse (as a Lawfull Human
> Samurai)?

Not to be neglected. :)

> 4) What is the penalty for killing a co-aligned unicorn (as a
> Lawfull Human Samurai)?

Not to be neglected: let your pet do the dirty work if you don't mind
for roleplaying reasons. By the way, words ending in -ful have only one
"l" in English (except for the word "full" and perhaps a few other
exceptions: "lawful")

> 5) Can Artifact Weapons break while forcing open boxes?

I think they can, but with a smaller chance than other weapons. Don't
you have a key or credit card of lock pick by now? You're level 12
already; you should have found one by now.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

BWIGLEY wrote:

> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
>
> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a Long
> Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie? At the moment
> the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.

Jym thinks a permanent light source is more valuable
than a wish. I'm not sure about that, but I think
altar camping gives enough artifact weapons that they
aren't worth a wish for. Wishes are for armor or
specific items IMO.

Since you're lawfull, the artifact weapon to hope for
is Greyswandir not Frost Bane. Since you're lawfull
you can easily dip for Excalibur which beats Snickersnee
or if you pray at altars you'll eventually get it when
you are crowned (always wield a regular long sword when
praying).

> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?

Corroded katana can be repaired, then it will be
better than the long sword. Fortunately they use the
same skill slot.

Alternate answer - Eventually you'll get a silver
saber from the cooperatively hostile captain. Then
use that as your non-artifact secondary.

Alternate answer - Style points for sticking with the
short sword like a movie samurai

> 3)What is the penalty for eating a human corpse (as a Lawfull Human
> Samurai)?

I'd have to look it up but I think there's more to
it than just luck.

> 4) What is the penalty for killing a co-aligned unicorn (as a Lawfull Human
> Samurai)?

-5 luck. BTW sometimes you might actually want to do this.
Luck increases are easier to accomplish than having a
known number subtracted from your luck.

> 5) Can Artifact Weapons break while forcing open boxes?

I've never seen one break that way, but I think there's a tiny
chance. If your pet is still alive and have gotten strong
enough to take out a shopkeeper, there are a lot better tools
for the job.

Lars Kecke wrote:

> BWIGLEY wrote:
>> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
>>
>> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a
>> Long Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie?
>
> I wouldn't. Weapon artifacts will turn up eventually, so better wish for
> DSM, speed boots, or even magic markers.
>
>> At the moment
>> the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.
>>
>> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
>> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
>
> How about Excaliburing your long sword?

He's twoweaponing and already wielding Snickersnee. I concede that
Excalibur is probably slightly better than Snickersnee (for one it gives
level-drain resistance) so it might be a good idea to dip for Excalibur
and twoweapon it and the corroded katana, in hopes of rustproofing it or
finding something like a silver saber.

Raisse, killed by a dagger

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> BWIGLEY wrote:

>> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
>> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
>
> I'm not really sure, but you might at least wield the sword for a while
> to raise your skill to expert, if it isn't already so.

Katana uses the long sword skill as well, but Boudewijn is right, if you
wield a sword (or a katana) one-handed until you're at Expert you can
also get to Expert in two-weapon combat.

Raisse, killed by touching Grayswandir

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> BWIGLEY wrote:
>
>>2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
>>katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
>
> [...]
> Alternate answer - Style points for sticking with the
> short sword like a movie samurai

Having seen samurai films mostly the ones directed by Kurosawa only, I've
got the impression that katanas are quite appropriate for style. Are the
short-swords prevalent in other movies?

Janis

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote:

> Lars Kecke wrote:
>
> > BWIGLEY wrote:
> >> ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
> >>
> >> 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a
> >> Long Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie?
> >
> > I wouldn't. Weapon artifacts will turn up eventually, so better wish for
> > DSM, speed boots, or even magic markers.
> >
> >> At the moment
> >> the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.
> >>
> >> 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> >> katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
> >
> > How about Excaliburing your long sword?
>
> He's twoweaponing and already wielding Snickersnee. I concede that
> Excalibur is probably slightly better than Snickersnee (for one it gives
> level-drain resistance)

Excalibur is definitely better, though not much, than Snickersnee.
Excalibur is a long sword (d8 DAM), +d5 HIT/+d10 DAM, searching and no
level drain. Snickersnee is a katana (+1 HIT/d10 DAM), +d8 DAM, no
special powers. In toto, the difference is d5-1 to hit, searching and
drain resistance, all in favour of Excalibur.
Since the corrosion of the katana only drops a single damage point off
it, bringing it back to about the same damage the long sword does
anyway, and doesn't affect its natural to-hit bonus at all, I'd say that
a corroded katana is slightly better than an uncorroded long sword as
well, and the combination Excalibur/corroded katana is certainly better,
though not by much, than Snickersnee/long sword.

Richard

rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote:
>Excalibur is definitely better, though not much, than Snickersnee.
>Excalibur is a long sword (d8 DAM), +d5 HIT/+d10 DAM, searching and no
>level drain. Snickersnee is a katana (+1 HIT/d10 DAM), +d8 DAM, no
>special powers. In toto, the difference is d5-1 to hit, searching and
>drain resistance, all in favour of Excalibur.

And an extra 1-2 points of damage against large monsters, as katana and
long sword both do 1d12 damage against large monsters.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
> BWIGLEY wrote:
>
> > ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
>
> > 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and
> > a Long Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie?
> > At the moment the only artifact I know that has been created is
> > Snickershee.
>
> If you already have an artefact (even if it's not the best), I think you
> should consider other options, like some nice piece of armour which
> grants magic resistance (+2 grey dragon scale mail or something like
> that). Since you're playing a samurai, I would pass on the speed boots
> that are usually on top of my list, since an S starts with speed
> already. These can wait for later.
>
> By the way, it's SnickersNee.
Hmmm... I thought it looked wrong when I was writing it.

> > 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> > katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
>
> I'm not really sure, but you might at least wield the sword for a while
> to raise your skill to expert, if it isn't already so.

Yep, Expert 2-weapon and long sword.

> > 5) Can Artifact Weapons break while forcing open boxes?
>
> I think they can, but with a smaller chance than other weapons. Don't
> you have a key or credit card of lock pick by now? You're level 12
> already; you should have found one by now.
Acutally I had. But anyway I just YASD'ed anyway, a _Huge_ graveyard,
without stealth, and all of a sudden a Marilith(sp?) summoned another one,
and 1 turn later I was dead, I'm sure I could have done something but I
guess I was tired and not thinking(sort of "this should be easy, only a
couple of monsters at a time" type of thing).

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> BWIGLEY wrote:
> >
> > ATM I am playing a L12 Samauri, And I have a few qestions.
> >
> > 1) I found a blessed magic lamp, ATM I am 2-Weaponing Snickershee and a
Long
> > Sword, And I am wondering weather I should wish for frostie? At the
moment
> > the only artifact I know that has been created is Snickershee.
>
> Jym thinks a permanent light source is more valuable
> than a wish. I'm not sure about that, but I think
> altar camping gives enough artifact weapons that they
> aren't worth a wish for. Wishes are for armor or
> specific items IMO.
>
> Since you're lawfull, the artifact weapon to hope for
> is Greyswandir not Frost Bane.
I want one where I can be expert eg. a long sword/katana artifact weapon, so
I can use two weapon to it's full abilities. If I read the spoilers
correctly Samurai can only get to basic in sabre, not really enough.
> Since you're lawfull
> you can easily dip for Excalibur which beats Snickersnee
> or if you pray at altars you'll eventually get it when
> you are crowned (always wield a regular long sword when
> praying).
I wanted to keep artifacts down, maby wish for some quest artifacts with the
castle wand, that sort of thing.

> > 2) I have the choice between weilding a +0 long sword or a +0 corroded
> > katana as my second weapon, which should I choose?
>
> Corroded katana can be repaired, then it will be
> better than the long sword. Fortunately they use the
> same skill slot.
>
> Alternate answer - Eventually you'll get a silver
> saber from the cooperatively hostile captain. Then
> use that as your non-artifact secondary.
The second weapon skill doesn't when two weaponing matter does it?

> > 3)What is the penalty for eating a human corpse (as a Lawfull Human
> > Samurai)?
>
> I'd have to look it up but I think there's more to
> it than just luck.
What does aggravate monster involve?

> > 4) What is the penalty for killing a co-aligned unicorn (as a Lawfull
Human
> > Samurai)?
>
> -5 luck. BTW sometimes you might actually want to do this.
> Luck increases are easier to accomplish than having a
> known number subtracted from your luck.
At the time I had just got poision resistance(and in the process got str. 8)
and _really_ wanted a unihorn, no pet(my pet got level teleported in the
mines and I magic whistled on many levels but didn't find it, and I don't
usually bother with another pet) so I thought I would go for it, and of
corse a level later a black unicorn turned up.

> There's only one item in the game that is better
> than a permanent light source and you cannot wish
> for it since you're lawful

I have to disagree, strongly. A permanent light source is at best a
tiny convenience before Gehennom, and a mild convenience once you're
there.

Definitely sacrifice it for the lifesavers you don't have (reflection,
magic resistance, poison resistance) or for DSM or speed boots if you
don't have those. I'd even give it up for a bag of holding, spellbook
of identify, etc--items that are convenient but not crucial, much as a
light source is.

> I have been through Gehennom with the Eyes twice and without
> permanent light source once.

The thing is, getting to Gehennom is by far the harder half of the
game, and anything you can do to maximize your chances of getting there
is worth it. And I don't think a light source helps your survival
chances much if any even after reaching Gehennom; Rodney and the Planes
are the only real dangers to most post-Castle players, and light
doesn't really help with either of them.

Plus, regular lamps and potions of oil are an almost perfect
replacement for a magic lamp.