Proudly presenting my top 5 YASD (spoily)

Hi there,

this message contains spoilers

i just checked my Nethack score list and i found that my top 5 games
all ended with YASD. For your enjoyment i will present them in reverse
order

5) Meet the Knight Uli who had some quick game and finished Soko and
the mines and just had to level up to start the quest. He found Fort
Ludious and besides not having any reflection he decided to clear out
only the zoo (with the money he wanted to buy some more protection)

Stupidity starts

A captain is in the zoo and starts whacking me away, i retreat to the
magic portal, regenerate and go into Ludious again, it's either me or
him. The Captain won after making me "helpless"... (115,100 pts)

4) Meet the priest Uli who found he was real cool. Being strong and
with a wished-for-SDSM, equipped only with a very corroded mace he
thought he could become something cool. Then on level 23 he turned into
a silver dragon due to a polymorph trap. Below was Medusa's lair so he
decided to take a trip there.

Stupidity starts.

Flying over the water, an electric eel starts attacking me, i return to
human form and ...

drown (115,500 pts)

3) Meet Monk Uli who was on autopilot and was sitting on a throne. This
monk was fixated on using the PYEC. First sit: You may wish for an
object, got the PYEC, second sit: May genocide monster, decided to
genocide Master mind flayers, the game genocided monks.

Although i count this also as YAAD, it is primarily stupidity and greed
which made me sit on a throne while being blasted and weak from picking
up the PYEC

149,556 pts

2) Meet Uli the wizard who had it really going on, +2 Magicbane,
enchanted elven dagger stack, SDSM, HOB, etc. etc. This guy thought he
was invincible and he sure was.

Entering Fort Ludious and clearing the whole level. There lies a potion
of enlightenment, i write down the long list of resistances and notice,
that "poison resistance" is not on this list, i am also a proud owner
of a amulet versus poison and i am wearing an amulet of reflection

Stupidity starts

I decide to collect all the gold in the vault, since that is what i
came here for. I keep my amulet of reflection worn. This wizard falls
into a pit and

the spikes were poisoned

392271 pts

Number One !!!! (not only in score but also in stupidity goes to

Uli the Knight. With this game i found that knights are *very cool*.
After soko, mines, quest, this guy is in the castle, has cleared
everything, found the wand, wished for some good stuff and thought
about some great future. Hey a black dragon !! Black dragon goes down
after some application of the mighty Excalibur. Black dragon leaves
corpse. Uli the Knight feasts on the corpse, gaining disintegration
resistance and some warning that his stomach is really really full.

Stupidity starts:

hey let's explore the rooms, hm weapons, armor, jewels and comestible,
hey it's a tin, hey it's spinach, hey let's have some spinach ....

433380 points, choked on a tin of spinach
(imagine a glorious knight in full armour with a shiny weapon and bag
full of magical items choking over a bloody tin...)

So: Do i really want to ascend? Or do i want to die forever trying ?

Playing the game since 1992

Regards

Uli

uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> this message contains spoilers
>
> i just checked my Nethack score list and i found that my top 5 games
> all ended with YASD. For your enjoyment i will present them in reverse
> order

:)
Your YASDs give a far better score than my best games tough!

It turns out that my best score is also a game that ended in YASD:
chlorine the wizard who was polymorphed into a vampire lord, had a
really nice time killing everything in the dungeon, and, when she
spotted a cockatrice which she had been much warned NOT to attack
when she was polymorphed, she thought the said cockatrice was a
centipede and attacked it (only 39,311 points though).

> Number One !!!! (not only in score but also in stupidity goes to
>
> Uli the Knight. With this game i found that knights are *very cool*.
> After soko, mines, quest, this guy is in the castle, has cleared
> everything, found the wand, wished for some good stuff and thought
> about some great future. Hey a black dragon !! Black dragon goes down
> after some application of the mighty Excalibur. Black dragon leaves
> corpse. Uli the Knight feasts on the corpse, gaining disintegration
> resistance and some warning that his stomach is really really full.
>
> Stupidity starts:
>
> hey let's explore the rooms, hm weapons, armor, jewels and comestible,
> hey it's a tin, hey it's spinach, hey let's have some spinach ....
>
> 433380 points, choked on a tin of spinach
> (imagine a glorious knight in full armour with a shiny weapon and bag
> full of magical items choking over a bloody tin...)

Things like that make me think I'm a better player than I am :)

> So: Do i really want to ascend? Or do i want to die forever trying ?
>
> Playing the game since 1992

Keep trying, those are some stupid things you won't do again (for
a very long time at least)!

Clemence