Possible bias in Toms benchmark

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This applies to the 3D Studio MAX R3 benchmark only. The dual Athlons seem to have quite an edge. My question is did Tom make sure to use the P3 optimization that Kinetix released with the software? Will the optimization work with P4's? I know it won't work with AMD

Your Signature Sucks

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Just to let you know, the sole purpose of him to use 3D StudioMAX R3 there was to test the RAW FPU performance. This is why the Athlon or even Duron's can SMASH a P3 or P4 optimized anything in 3D Studio. Optimized or not, no Intel CPU can match an Athlon's FPU performance.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

-MeTaL RoCkEr

Eat, Sleep, Compute!

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know of the FPU importance but I care about end performance. And in the end if the AMD scores better then I'll accept it as the better buy for rendering. I already use the Athlon and love it, I just want to know how much, if at all, the Intels benefit from the optimization compared to the AMDs

Your Signature Sucks

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I thought the sse/sse2 optimisations were only effective in the reltime rendering areas like in the viewports. When it comes to the final rendering, these don't help too much.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
In the end, P3 still sux with is crap as FPU (im talking with optimizations) as SSE does help but only i beleive a mere 10% at MOST. Athlon is still ahead of P4 and P3 with optimizations, look at anandtech's review or even look at earlier P4 vs. Athlon reviews here on Toms hardware Guide and it shows a few times with optimizations....Athlon still rules all in 3D StudioMAX... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

Eat, Sleep, Compute!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
the P3 optimisation will work with Athlon MP, but not Athlon T-bird. Athlon MP has full SSE support the same as PIII.

Also, what frequently happens is that updates and patches can benefit both architectures due to increases in code effectiveness.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details