Undoing the effects of a !ofPolymorph

I accidentally quafed a potion of Polymorph.
My human Samurai has now become a quasit.
Is there a time out on this, or anything I
can do to get myself back to human?

--
James Kanze

On 29 Jul 2005 04:41:14 -0700
kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:

>I accidentally quafed a potion of Polymorph.
>My human Samurai has now become a quasit.
>Is there a time out on this, or anything I
>can do to get myself back to human?

Yeah, suicide.

I love those kinds of situations, especially when you get very very
careful and engrave E and weasel your way back to where you need to be.

Then, of course, you get killed by a unicorn or a soldier ant as you're
picking up your blessed +1 quarterstaff.

kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:
> I accidentally quafed a potion of Polymorph.
> My human Samurai has now become a quasit.
> Is there a time out on this, or anything I
> can do to get myself back to human?

Die.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

wrote on 29 Jul 2005 06:54:25 -0700:
> (Which explains my overconfidence in
> quafing an unknown potion. I figured that between my blessed
> unicorn horn and praying, I could fix any damage.)

Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is useful to
dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for polymorph, and then
your unihorn, to test for blindness, confusion, hallucination, or
sickness.

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:
>> I accidentally quafed a potion of Polymorph.
>> My human Samurai has now become a quasit.
>> Is there a time out on this, or anything I
>> can do to get myself back to human?
>
> Die.

Or just wait until it times out.

Raisse, killed by a quasit, while helpless

kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:

>>> I accidentally quafed a potion of Polymorph.
>>> My human Samurai has now become a quasit.
>>> Is there a time out on this, or anything I
>>> can do to get myself back to human?

>> Die.

> Cool. Thanks.

Hey, I didn't want to spoil you *too* much.

:)

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Rast wrote:
> wrote on 29 Jul 2005 06:54:25 -0700:

>> (Which explains my overconfidence in
>> quafing an unknown potion. I figured that between my blessed
>> unicorn horn and praying, I could fix any damage.)

> Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is
> useful to dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for
> polymorph, and then your unihorn, to test for blindness, confusion,
> hallucination, or sickness.

Or, if you have a spare unicorn horn, dip the spare one immediately.
You'll still test for blindness, confusion, hallucination, or sickness,
but if you happen to be carrying a potion of polymorph, with luck you
may change the unicorn horn into another magical tool, like a magic
marker.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:57:03 +0200
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> with luck you
>may change the unicorn horn into another magical tool

Does polymorphing depend on in-game luck?

noah bedford wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 02:57:03 +0200
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>

>>with luck you
>>may change the unicorn horn into another magical tool
>

> Does polymorphing depend on in-game luck?

No.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
|Moo. > \/
\____/

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <MPG.1d543786c24a510798a37f@216.168.3.44>,
Rast <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is useful to
>dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for polymorph,

Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
contraversial:

Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.

Reasoning: If it's a !oPoly, it's likely to be the first and last one
you see for a while. Dip a unicorn horn and there's quite a good chance
for a magical tool. Dip a key or a weapon or something and you'll get
some other useless object, having wasted a potion. Yes, you're giving
up a unicorn horn, so it means you have to play a strategy where you
wait a little longer before you start dipping things in potions.
Usually, quite a few potions are id'd for me, so I can use a little
discretion when I think I might have found poly. I always try to dip
a unicorn horn first, unless I'm getting desperate.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:04:24 +0000, james wrote:

> Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
> contraversial:
>
> Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.

I usually try to dip a magical object, weapon, or
piece of armor. If I've got say a cloak of invisibility or fumble boots,
I'll dip those into a possible !oPoly hoping to get a cloak of magic
resistance/displacement/protection or boots of speed/water
walking/levitation. It's better than ending up with "b - a vulgar
polearm". I rarely do uni horns, because I usually seem to have at least a
spare magic whistle or something by then.

james wrote:

> In article <MPG.1d543786c24a510798a37f@216.168.3.44>,
> Rast <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is useful to
>>dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for polymorph,
>
> Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
> contraversial:
>
> Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.
>
> Reasoning: If it's a !oPoly, it's likely to be the first and last one
> you see for a while. Dip a unicorn horn and there's quite a good chance
> for a magical tool. Dip a key or a weapon or something and you'll get
> some other useless object, having wasted a potion. Yes, you're giving
> up a unicorn horn, so it means you have to play a strategy where you
> wait a little longer before you start dipping things in potions.
> Usually, quite a few potions are id'd for me, so I can use a little
> discretion when I think I might have found poly. I always try to dip
> a unicorn horn first, unless I'm getting desperate.

If you do some price id'ing beforehand you can dip your unihorn without
any danger of polying as polypotion is in different pricegroup than any
of the ones that are cleared by unihorn.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:04:24 +0000, james wrote:
>
> > Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
> > contraversial:
> >
> > Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.
>
> I usually try to dip a magical object, weapon, or
> piece of armor. If I've got say a cloak of invisibility or fumble boots,
> I'll dip those into a possible !oPoly hoping to get a cloak of magic
> resistance/displacement/protection or boots of speed/water
> walking/levitation. It's better than ending up with "b - a vulgar
> polearm". I rarely do uni horns, because I usually seem to have at least a
> spare magic whistle or something by then.

OTOH, unihorns become rather common at a certain stage of the game (the
beginning of mid-game). At which point you can easily 'waste' one (not
your main one in slash'em) in a potential potion of polymorph. Moreover,
since polymorph is the only potion in its price group which need
unihorning, price-id will ensure that you won't do any mistakes with your
only unihorn.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

james wrote:
> Rast wrote:
>
> >Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is useful to
> >dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for polymorph,
>
> Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
> contraversial:
>
> Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.

I think it's a natural strategy.

Worse case - It is a polymorph potion. You lose the unihorn.
Since you've been able to get one unihorn you'll be able to
get others. The hurdle with unihorns is the first one not
the second one.

Best case - There are several types of potions that turn into
water when dipped. Water is very valuable because stacks
of regular uncursed water can be turned into valuable
(un)holy water. Halucination, poison, you name it. Better
water than anything that turns to water when dipped.

And the best case happens a LOT more often than the worst
case as polymorph potions are rarer than the other types.

Most common case of all - "Interesting." Only a few potion
types do anything when dipped.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

james wrote:

>>Note that if you are planning on quaffing random potions, it is useful to
>>dip a junk object in the potion first, to test for polymorph,
>
> Here I'm going to put forth another strategy that I expect to be
> contraversial:
>
> Don't dip a junk object. Dip a unicorn horn.
>
> Reasoning: If it's a !oPoly, it's likely to be the first and last one
> you see for a while. Dip a unicorn horn and there's quite a good chance
> for a magical tool.

I have done this! (By accident. Got a magic marker. Imagine my relief.)