Way cool, but hot!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
My local comp shop had a two day sale on various stuff. It included (OMG!) an Athlon T-Bird 1.2 gig cpu! The sale price was $95, $10 less than the 1 gig cpu! I told myself that when a 1 gig cpu was under a hundred bucks I would buy one, so I have! I'm absolutely floored by the performance! However, I'm stressed over the heat being generated. I got a VolcanoII hsf and the generic paste that the shop sells. I took off the thermal tape, cleaned off the residue, and buffed it with a scotch brite pad like I've seen recommended here (that was you Crash, wasn't it?).
Anyway, got it installed, booted up, and I've noticed (how could I not!) that the temp on this thing is sitting (<i>right now</i>) at 55C! I know I installed this right. I even went to AMD's website and printed out their instructions for installing a hsf before I started. I went through every step (including the practice steps) and double checked everything before committing myself. When I was finished, I took a look from the side and made sure the hsf wasn't being held up off the cpu by anything. I am absolutely sure I did this right! So, what is wrong?
BTW- I noticed a lot of posts regarding heat problems before I posted. Is there another hsf that would work better than the V2? Should I look at one of those copper ones (although they seem like they would be really heavy)?
BTW (part 2)- F***! Now my temp is 57! What's up with this? :mad:

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Yep, I was as surprised as you about how much more heat my 1.2 produced than what my 1.0 produced. You probably DIDN'T install the thing lopsided, if you did it would've simply burned up. My numbers aren't near as good as some of the people here brag about.
Let me see, I started off with a stock HSF (lapped) and my max load temp was about…54C. When I overclocked it went to about 58C. Then I put on a great copper HSF added some cooling fans and got my max load temp anywhere from 39-42C at 1200mhz and 46-49C at 1333mhz and 47-53C at 1400mhz
(depending on the ambient temp, which right now is really hot out here in Cali.).
My new HSF is 500g of copper and it's heavy but it's very firmly attached and I have NO worries that the socket will break. It was the easiest HSF install I've ever had, but I paid too much for it…$58 blizzard. There're probably cheaper HSFs out there that are just about as good. But like I said…like you said…the darn thing produces a frickin boat load of heat….so I ponyed up my money and bought
the best quality copper HSF (that still attaches to the socket by the socket lugs), that I could get. I thought about a swifttech…but I'm not thrilled about bolting
the HSF to the motherboard.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it is very sad to hear that you will now put all your extra efforts(from the first day you start owning a tbird) into cooling and worrying about temps and such, one day it cease, smoke will pour out and you will be free!

until that day comes, good luck :) but don't complain! you've saved a bundle!

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't you have anything else to do, Meltdown? At least it wasn't a totally negative post, that's nice to see.

A lot of temperature readings are thrown off by what you're using to measure it. Always remember that. Yours could be off, the ones you're comparing to could be off, etc. That said, check the airflow in your case. It doesn't help to have 23 case fans if there are also 23 IDE cables blocking the way. That's why I got rounded cables.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
No matter how much I pay for a HSF, it's still less than what
I would have paid for a P4 with a special HSF and a special PSU
and special RDRAM.

And guess what…my athlon @1400mhz is kicking your P4 ass…LOL

So why don't you go somewhere where people want to hear your [-peep-] talk?
…Somewhere where people actually like you? (heh)
…Somewhere where you can actually HELP people, rather than act like a
little dick head??

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

G

Fatburger, would I run into trouble in rolling up a standard IDE cable with some electric tape? Could you post the URL to the site that provides the round IDE cables? thanks :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fan of the VolcanoII is a little weak, but normally does the job. YOu can order a faster replacement fan if needed. I just received some Evercool fans from Nexfan.com, and they blow VERY hard. They are also noise, but quieter than the Delta.
At the same time I ordered the fans, I ordered som ND-8 coolers. They are rated higher than the VolcanoII, but when they arrived I figured out that the only reason they work a little better is that they have those noisey Evercool fans on them. An Evercool fan on the Volcano II should really do the job.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

FatBurger

Illustrious
You could do it, but you have to cut between the wires so that it's kind of layered, not rolled. I got mine at <A HREF="http://www.bestbyte.com" target="_new">BestByte</A> for $6. $5 for floppy.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Thanks for the link, Crashman. I'll try one of those before looking at a new hsf which would cost more money(I'd also go for copper). Thanks again for the tip!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Is this with the case open or closed? Anything blocking the path of air around the HSF particulary the fan? If your P/S sits on top of your cpu then it will cause reduce air flow and expect higher tempertures. I now realize how sensitive air flow can be affected on a cpu fan, even slight blockage can raise temp 5c higher. Also your cpu fan maybe recirculating the air back through the heat sink vice drawing cool air, if you smoke or anyone you know smokes take a cigarette and watch the air flow in your case. You will be able to determine alot about air flow and what restrictions you have. You will have to be a little inventive, clear plastic, glass etc. to see how your close case performs.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Those temps are with a closed case. Does it matter <i>what kind</i> of smoke (LOL)? Actually I'm going to try a little experimenting, as my front panel really blocks air from coming into the case. I've heard others here have used the rear fan for an intake and the front for outflow. However, my first thought is that I'll just be pulling in warm air that's being blown out by the psu. But if I used the rear fan for intake it would place the air directly in front of the hsf. And, yes, my psu is sitting almost directly above the cpu and hsf (damnit!). My case is an older style CasEdge and maybe that is why I have an air flow problem.

Edit: I just felt the hsf and it doesn't feel all that hot. I could comfortably rest two fingers on it. It was (I know this is subjective) not hot by any means, but warmer than just "warm" (how's that for a convoluted description?). If the cpu is running at 52C/125F (my temp at the moment with the side off) shouldn't the hs be <i>really</i> warm, or hot even? Could this maybe be my mobo not reporting correctly? I'm using MBM5, but how much does that program rely on correct readings from the mobo itself?

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lamer_gamer on 07/03/01 06:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Any blockdage of the fan on the HSF will affect flowrate. You can take an oral thermometer better yet a electric oral theremometer which works much faster and measure the temperture at different sections of the heat sink and near the core. An anal thermometer will work too. :redface: My heat sink is warm to the touch too and it is very subjective and not an accurate way of telling unless your fingers are about ready to be burnt. Your idea in directing cool air on the cpu is a good idea, it sounds like the air in that section of the case is just recirculating upon itself keeping your cpu nice and cozy. Let us know what you find.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/03/01 06:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Well, what I found by reversing the fans is that I only made the problem worse! Hmmm, time to put on my thinking cap again (now <i>that's</i> dangerous)!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I think the heat sink has to be designed for having the fan suck through it. My Alpha heat sink has shorter then average fins so by it sucking it actually is able to draw air throughout the fins. In your case the fins closest to the fan will get most of the air flow and the part of the fins closest to the cpu would get the least amount of air flow. So supplying cool air to the cpu I would think would make it better. If you can get the coolest air from outside the case to be used by the cpu HSF without it being mixed with the warmer air inside the case would be one trick, the other trick is maximizing air flow cutting down restrictions. Some options:

1. New more open case (I paid $24 for my case but it is modified by me)
2. An Alpha cooler would be a smaller foot print and further away from your P/S, plus you can direct the air outside the case using baffles around your power supply.
3. Case fans to increase source of cooler air for the cpu HSF.

I think restrictions is your biggest problem followed by source of cool air to your cpu HSF.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I really think you're right about air flow being a big problem. In your previous post you stated something along the lines of the air in that part of the case just recirculating itself. As far as suggestion #2, you totally lost me (not your fault, it's my lack of knowledge). What is a footprint? I should probably get another case fan, which for me, would mean modding my case. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools for that, so I'd have to find someone to help. Thanks for the suggestions!
Happy 4th dude! As for me, I'll be trying to avoid having fireworks going off inside my case! :smile:

TRENDING THREADS