Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hearse: stats now available from server

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 30, 2005 4:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Some basic usage stats are now available on http://hearse.krollmark.com
for anyone interested. I'm still playing idly with death stats, but
sadly I can only guess a cause of death for ~2/3rds of the bones files,
so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile having a separate page for it.

I'm well aware that I have all the HTML design skills of a demented
weasel, so if anyone wants to prettify it into something more pleasant,
please let me know.

Similarly, if there's any other info you'd like to see up there, please
drop me a line at the address below.

Thanks,

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce

More about : hearse stats server

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 6:01:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

> Some basic usage stats are now available on http://hearse.krollmark.com
> for anyone interested. I'm still playing idly with death stats, but
> sadly I can only guess a cause of death for ~2/3rds of the bones files,
> so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile having a separate page for it.

When clicking on "foo stats" I'm always asked to download a "bones.dll" of
"application/octet-stream".
Care to add a "Content-type: text/html" to the headers?

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
< blindcoder> I still say Violist didn't get it :p 
< billnye> I say we have no evidence of it
< blindcoder> evidence is irrelevant
< blindcoder> it's rumors and believing that make truth
< blindcoder> -- me, now.
< billnye> objective reality, schmobjective reality -- me, paraphrasing, now.
July 30, 2005 6:01:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net wrote:
> When clicking on "foo stats" I'm always asked to download a "bones.dll" of
> "application/octet-stream".
> Care to add a "Content-type: text/html" to the headers?

Oops. Changed it. IE is too forgiving sometimes. Let me know if you
run into anything else that's funky.

Cheers,

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
Related resources
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:24:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Alexis <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Some basic usage stats are now available on http://hearse.krollmark.com
> for anyone interested.

Okay, two questions with presumably simple answers:

* I play Mac OS X Qt version 3.4.3. Which set of stats includes that
version?

* How does one get a nickname?

--
Bobby Schmidt
July 31, 2005 5:06:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid wrote:
> Alexis <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Some basic usage stats are now available on http://hearse.krollmark.com
> > for anyone interested.
>
> Okay, two questions with presumably simple answers:
> * I play Mac OS X Qt version 3.4.3. Which set of stats includes that
> version?

It seems that falls into 3.4.3 Linux (RPM/Deb/be byte).


> * How does one get a nickname?

Nicknames are a feature of the newer Windows clients. It's not yet
supported on the Unix version. I'm happy to manually amend those user's
nicknames for the moment - drop me a line at the address below - and I
may later add a page to let those users do it through the website.

Cheers,

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:31:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Alexis <me@privacy.net>:

> Nicknames are a feature of the newer Windows clients. It's not yet
> supported on the Unix version.

Nor can you tell if it will ever be. Don't get me wrong, Unix Hearse
works fine as it is and I'm happy to have it but to me it seems unlikely
that we'll see new features added. I'd suggest to avoid interface
changes if possible, you could end up with incompatible clients
otherwise.
August 1, 2005 12:41:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jlpublic-b4879@gmx.net wrote:
> Alexis <me@privacy.net>:
> > Nicknames are a feature of the newer Windows clients. It's not yet
> > supported on the Unix version.
>
> Nor can you tell if it will ever be. Don't get me wrong, Unix Hearse
> works fine as it is and I'm happy to have it but to me it seems unlikely
> that we'll see new features added. I'd suggest to avoid interface
> changes if possible, you could end up with incompatible clients
> otherwise.

Whenever I make a change, I do try to do it in such a way that old
clients won't notice. I *am* trying to encourage people to move away
from some of the very old Windows clients, but that's because they are
using older (and now obsolete) bits of the protocol and so are slow and
cause unnecessary work for the server. But apart from missing out on
newer functionality, the old clients will continue to work as before.

Speaking of slow servers, for some reason the server has slowed down to
an absolute crawl today, so some people are complaining of getting
timeouts on their requests.

If the server does accept a bones file from you then it tracks that you
are owed one, so even if it times out you will get an additional bones
file next time one is uploaded.

Not sure what's causing the slowdown yet... having a lot of difficulty
remotely accessing the server to diagnose it :) 

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:04:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Alexis <me@privacy.net>:

> Speaking of slow servers, for some reason the server has slowed down to
> an absolute crawl today
[...]
> Not sure what's causing the slowdown yet...

The first thing that comes to mind is the new statistics pages that you
announced yesterday. You don't happen to re-calculate all that for every
request, possibly making excessive use of system resources?
August 1, 2005 4:04:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

jlpublic-b4879@gmx.net wrote:
> Alexis <me@privacy.net>:
> > Speaking of slow servers, for some reason the server has slowed down to
> > an absolute crawl today
> [...]
> > Not sure what's causing the slowdown yet...
>
> The first thing that comes to mind is the new statistics pages that you
> announced yesterday. You don't happen to re-calculate all that for every
> request, possibly making excessive use of system resources?

LOL! No, the expensive stuff is cached for a while, the cheap stuff is
cached for a minute or two. Those cache settings could probably do with
being tweaked but I can also see that those pages aren't being hit
excessively, so it's not anything along those lines.

I don't know whether the increased bandwidth usage has hit an upper
limit and caused some throttling to kick in, or whether some Windows
update fixes or similar are having some unpleasant side effects. In
either case, since I can't access the server remotely, it's going to
have to be up to Matthew to give it a thump.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
August 9, 2005 3:08:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid wrote:
> * How does one get a nickname?

I've now added a page to the Hearse website to allow Unix users to
change their nickname. Users of older Windows versions should upgrade
and edit the nickname entry in hearse.ini

HTH

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:35:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Alexis wrote:

> BobbySchmidt@mac.com.invalid wrote:
> > * How does one get a nickname?
>
> I've now added a page to the Hearse website to allow Unix users to
> change their nickname. Users of older Windows versions should upgrade
> and edit the nickname entry in hearse.ini

I just changed my nickname -- thank you much!

--
Bobby Schmidt
!