nethack.alt.org server, game version question

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Question about NAO. When a new version of nethack comes out,
do current games get to play out in the old version? Or will
they be toast?

Usually, some combination of prudence and laziness causes me to
announce the change, offering folks a chance to finish out games for a
couple of weeks. Paxed will probably be helping out heavily with any
future changes as well.

Unfortunately, major revs don't tend to keep savegame compatibility, so
there will have to be a hard cutover at some point though (after a new
version comes out).

-drew

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1122762297.174499.131630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
dtype <drew.streib@gmail.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, major revs don't tend to keep savegame compatibility, so
>there will have to be a hard cutover at some point though (after a new
>version comes out).

Consider it a feature request; should not be too hard to version current
users' games.