Auto Reboot Option :0

G

System:
AMD 1.33
A7A 266
512 DDR PC2100
LeadTek GF2 Pro 64
WD HD

I came home yesterday to find that my computer had rebooted. I logged in and quickly got a Blue Screen( win2k pro sp2). I rebooted several times ... all resulted in different blue screens. I formated my boot partition and reinstalled Win2k. Now, If I log into win2k and don't do a thing, everything seems to be ok. Once I do something that pushes the processor, my box reboots. No errors, nothing! The CPU and MB tempature doesn't increase. I scanned the disk with the WD hard drive diag program ... No errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
what power supply are you using? have you added anything to your system lately? do you have any USB devices?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I have a Herolchi 300w power supply. I add a burner a few weeks ago, but I push my machine a lot. I think I would have seen something if it was the PS(unless it just went bad). I noticed that right before it reboots that I get IO errors if I time it where I click on something. For example, I tried pulling up task manager after starting SETI(running seti will cause a reboot within 5 seconds) and it couldn't find the dll needed to start it. Task Manager was fine before I started SETI. It isn't just seti either ... I've tried several other processor intensive programs like Tribes2 !

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
hmm - I would get a copy of motherboard monitor or similar and try to monitor your voltages. It is possbile that the psu is not able to give quite enough juice to your system (after adding the cdrw?) to maintain stable operation.

I have never heard of Herolchi psu - that is not to say it is automatically bad, but it is not a brand I recognise as being one of the better ones. 300W is the lowest 'generally accepted' wattage of psu for an AMD system. I use a 550W in my Intel and a 450W in my AMD...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I think I may go buy a new PS today. It is starting to drive me crazy! Thanks for your help ...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right click on My Computer, go to properties, go to the Advanced tab, hit the Starup and Recovery button, and now you have options to automatically reboot on system crash, as well as a couple other options.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice feature, alot of people do not enjoy the autoreboot as much as you.

But I guess you get what you pay for. Enjoy it while it lasts =)

G

Yup, another AMD success story

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ur456/index.html?994178303453" target="_new">Bowser's Homepage</A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Really? That happened all the time on my parent's P3, but hasn't happened yet on my Tbird. Hmm...

Bad motherboard or bad power supply!

Try a new 300watt power supply if it still crashes and reboots then it's a bad motherboard.. hope for a bad powersupply as that is much cheaper to replace.. 30-40 bucks i would think for a 300watt PSU.

what is probably happening is that your cpu isn't getting enough power and your cpu must have voltage... any lack of voltage to your cpu can cause your system to reboot like that and since your PSU is what gives your cpu voltage it is probably a bad power supply. However for the power to get to your CPU it needs to run through the motherboard to get to it so it could also be the motherboard too.

i could be wrong but i learned that in computer architecture class and it makes sense to me so ya...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 07/05/01 02:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You're more or less right. The power supply provides power to the motherboard at specific voltages, and the motherboard uses something along the lines of a transformer or voltage regulator to adapt one of those voltages to the CPU's specified core voltage.

Another thing this could be is bad memory. When I got my first Athlon system, it would reboot within an hour just sitting idle, or reboot within ten minutes if I ran Winbench or Sandra on it. The problem went away when I got good quality Mushkin RAM.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, and that could be a lot of things.
PSU, MB, RAM, video card, sound card, modem, NIC, etc.

Almost anything in the case could cause that.

I was told by my Computer Architecture professor that the most likely condidate of sudden reboots are either the power supply or the motherboard. This was during class in spring semester. Now i'm wondering and i need to look this up... i'll get back to ya on it...

yes i know you have a AMD chip but the AMD chip might do the samething too.

"A computer running Windows NT Server or Workstation shows the following Stop error code:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000030, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80003CBA)
NOTE: The parameters for the Stop message may vary from the parameters shown.

CAUSE
The computer processor detected a hardware error and reported it to Windows NT using the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows NT Server and Workstation version 4.0 now have the ability to report exceptions generated by the MCE or MCA features.

The Pentium and Pentium Pro processors provide a mechanism to detect and to report hardware-related problems such as memory parity errors and cache errors. To signal a hardware error, the processor signals the detection of a machine check error by generating a machine check exception (Interrupt 18). Windows NT simply reports the fact that the error occurred and displays parameters that you can use to decode the exception. Contact your hardware vendor or processor manufacturer for information regarding the Machine Check Architecture or consult the Intel Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual - Volume 3: Operating System Writer's Manual. "

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/3/63.asp

here you go!

The 4-28-00 Win2000 ©Trick in TIPS2000.TXT, part of W95-11D.ZIP:

WIN2K SPONTANEOUS REBOOT FIX

Brought to you by Ray Gressett (rgress77@strato.net):
http://members.tripod.com/PrzWrshp/frame.html
"I have spent 2 weeks, countless hours, and $20 on a new sound card, and then jockeying cards around trying to "debug" the cause of spontaneous reboots on my Win2000 Pro PC.
Turns out there is a setting in: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Start Up and Recovery -> uncheck Automatically Reboot (on system failure), that may be the culprit.
PS: I am using WinMag Wintune video test features to torture test and attempt to cause another spontaneous reboot. Before clearing this checkbox, I could force a reboot just by loading Wintune's system and video benchmarks. Haven't gotten this to work again since I cleared the checkbox so I may be on to something."

UPDATES:

"This setting only controls if your system will automatically reboot on a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) or not, it doesn't cause or stop spontaneous reboots which are usually caused by buggy drivers.
Using this tip will just cause the system to sit there at a BSOD instead of rebooting. Useful for trying to figure out why the system crashed, but it won't stop it from happening."
[Thank you Asymmetric (all@biosys.net)!]

"This doesn't turn out to be entirely helpful because it only disables the reboot and not the problem itself. The problem lies within the BIOS.
Most mainboards have an option to enable a 15-16 MB memory hole to enable faster ISA performance with older hardware devices. This prompts Windows 2000 to reboot the computer for no apparent reason.
THE FIX: Go into your BIOS CMOS Setup and disable the "Memory Hole".
All mobo brands are different. AWARD BIOSes have this setting located under the "Chipset Features Setup" or "Advanced Chipset Features" menu."
[Thank you Andrew Bourdon (PowerPenguin@techie.com)!]

http://members.aol.com/axcel216/2k1.htm

hope this helps! also check out the other win2k tips. like speeding up cable modems speeds and such.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I thought I posted that earlier? :)

And you're right, the PSU or MB is typically the cause of spontaneous reboots, but it could be practically anything inside the box. Or outside, for that matter. It's probably aliens. Are you wearing garlic?

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, garlic is supposed to keep aliens away (or vampires). As well as wearing yellow, and whistling...can't remember what song.

G

Thanks for all the replies. I finally had a chance to try some suggestions(i'm on vacation and I would quikly end up in the dog house if my wife found me on the computer). It turned out to be my second stick of ddr. I pulled it out and no reboots. Put it in the first slot and all my MB did was beep. It is crucial memory, not crappy generic, but I guess it happens to any brand sometimes.

Thanks again
Town

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A bad stick of memory. Not the AMD processor. You must really control your impulsivity. It will prevent you from being taken seriously when you grow up.

Talk to your parents about taking either Ritalin or Clonidine. They help impulsivity, and they can help you focus better, and comprehend more of what you read.

Good luck with your mental problems!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Cool. I thought that might be the problem. Crucial doesn't have that many bad sticks, but everyone has at least one (which is all it takes), and I've heard their replacements are pretty good.

BTW, I wonder if it could be that your computer rebooted (from crashing), because you used all the RAM in your first stick, and Windows tried to write to the second.

G

I wasn't using much memory, but I guess NT could have been loading something in that stick. I could make it reboot by logging in and starting seti. This usually put me around 80mb.