Sign in with
Your question

I need help settling on a monitor choice

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 10, 2013 1:37:22 AM

Hello!

For over a week now I have been researching and looking at monitors to buy to have sit with my new computer build I am doing. I am curious about the opinions of people on a few things, so I'll just get right into it.

I want to have 3 monitors, though I may buy one to start with, and eventually build the set to 3 depending on the individual price of each monitor. My main uses of the monitors of this computer will be gaming applications, with some workstation use with 3D modeling software for building construction (related to my job), but primarily gaming. I'm not afraid to spend a thousand dollars per monitor if it means I'm getting something that suites me, my needs, and performances at the highest level. Also, my graphics cards are AMD Radeon HD 7970 in crossfire. Which would be Eyeinfinty technology if I combined the monitors for one display.

As a gamer, it is pretty much well known that the 16:9 Aspect ratio is where you want to be. So I was thinking about going with something like that has a 2560 x 1440 resolution on a 27" monitor. My top choices are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

But on the flip side, there is the 16:10 aspect ratio, which if I went that route would be a 2560x1600 resolution. My main candidate for this set-up would be this choice here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So basically, if I was going to go with a 3x monitor display, and aim for Eyeinfinity whenever possible during games, would the 16:10 aspect ratio actually be better for me? The 16:10 ratio's weakness is Field of View, and you lose some peripheral vision. So would a 3x eyeinfinty set up relieve the 16:10 aspect ratio of that weakness since it's going to be adding all those horizontal pixels? And would it be better than 16:9 because you gain extra vertical pixels but still are keeping a huge field of view (horizontal) via Eyeinfinty?

I don't know if I am explaining this correctly, of if I am evening understand how this works correctly. Whats better for Eyeinfinty? 3x 16:9 or 3x 16X10? I already know the best ratio for gaming is 16:9 but does Eyeinfinty change that?

The 16:9 27" choices are all PLS monitors and the 16:10 30" choice is an IPS monitor. Do I want one or the other more?

Also it is worth noting, I'd be playing more MMO style games than FPS on this computer. But also I'd like to get into flight simulator games, and possibly some sports games. I mention this because the 60Hz vs 120Hz debate. I think all those monitors I listed above are only 60Hz. I figure, for my use, picture quality is better than refresh rate. I am aware of the Korean 120Hz IPS monitors, but I don't feel comfortable taking a gamble and going that route at this time.

And then there is the real possibility that games I play are not supported by Eyeinfinity, which would mean I would HAVE to use only one monitor to play it. So, if I went the 16:10 route, would this hurt me? Is 16:10 better for Eyeinfinity and 16:9 better for one monitor set-ups? This is something I need to consider? Is that the deal breaker and should consider the 16:9 set-up?

I'm sorry I am rambling here, but I really just need to talk it all out and see if anyone can possibly shift my thinking towards one solution because right now I am just scattered all over the place when it comes to monitors. After a week of research, I've never felt so lost and not knowing what to do when it comes to monitors! I've bought all components I need to build a $3500 gaming rig, VERY high end and very powerful....yet I can't decide on my monitor configuration for it. If anyone could talk with me here and help me that would be great! If any more info is needed just ask and I will reply promptly.
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 4:38:35 AM

Your never going to make the best decision here because there is none , all you have is choices. I already went through this exact same thing several months ago and I was going back and forth and even did a post here on Tomshardware to get some opinions and that didn't help much.
Since you can't have a 120hz monitor at 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 you have to choose one or the other.
A 30" monitor comes with a 2560x1600 resolution and the new 27" monitors come with 2560x1440 so you have to choose one or the other.
For multiple monitors one of them has to be connected by display port and that shouldn't be a problem as most do now come with tht but be certian to check anyway.
I chose to go with the 30" HP instead of the Dell and I am very happy with this much display area to view games on and the aspact ratio has not given me any problems simoly because the screen is so darn big it is a non factor.
I had toyed with the idea of multiple monitors but once I got this set up and playing I felt that I didn't need it and what made me decide that was the fact that with FPS games the sight of the gun is always in the center and with two monitors that was not going to wok out so you have to go with three and I just can't see three of these things on the desk, I suppose it would be great but my whole desktop would be screen.

So all things considered you may want to go with the Dell 30" monitor and if your going to go with more than one then get three and get the second two at the same time.
m
l
!