XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
I want to buy an alienware... but i was having a few questions.
They have the Athlon version and Pentium 4 version of one of their latest setups, and i was wondering which i should go with, if gaming (and internet browsing...) is my main use for the computer. I would also do some video editing, but for that i would need some video capturing device, which i would also like advice on... For some reason, the Athlon is more expensive, and i would go with the P4 any day. Its just that all my friends say Athlon is so much better than Pentium, and i dont know who to trust.

But anyway, in addition to the CPU question, does anyone have experience with Alienware computers or know anyone with experience? Because through reviews, the Alienware looks really good, but i'd feel more comfortable with other people to back them up.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Well, your first concern should be to address what you do most, gaming (3D especially) or video capture. If it is gaming, the Athlon wins hands down, due to it's much fast FPU (Floating Point Unit). This especially applies to 3D gaming, as the FPU does many of the calculations for it. If your "Bag" is video capture, I would have to go with the Pentium 4, as it's very high bandwith with RDRAM would allow faster speeds with the large amount of data involved with video editing. Even then, the Athlon with DDR RAM approaches these bandwith speeds, but for a much lower cost. Personally, I would go with the Athlon/DDR solution, as it's price/performance ratio is almost impossible to beat.
On your question of video editing capture card, I would have to go with one of the many ATI models; great support with great features, a sure fire win. And on your question about the quality of Alienware systems, they have been recommended by several magazines, including PC Gamer and Maximum PC. Both scored much higher than any comsumer level system. I hope this clarifies any questions you had on the topic at hand. =)

dhlucke

Polypheme
"Search Boards" for Alienware and read what comes up in the last 6 months. There have been a lot of issues brought up that aren't very good. Make sure you know what others think of them here before you make your decision. Granted you can't make everyone happy, but there was a couple threads that weren't very happy at all.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey I'm all for throwing money away....if you have it to toss out. Alienware is considerably more expensive than if you were to build your own computer, your basically paying for a name that really isn't all that any more.
If you play a lot of games and want some crazy cooling for your video card Alienware is a good way to go if you are into overclocking your video card, and possibly processor.
In my opinion I'd rather build my own, or buy from a different prebuilder to save money. building my own being the 100% recommended route

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have almost too much experience with Alienware. And my advice would be ... please reconsider your options.

Alienware went through some major upheavals recently. The company was sold, and afterwards, was moved to a new location.

The combination of the two events has made communication between the different departments almost non-existent.

The technical support department has been staffed with individuals who aren't actually technicians ... they are promoted salespeople. I talked to one woman who wasn't sure what a floppy drive looked like. I swear. She had to pull up a picture of one on her computer in order to (with help from another "tech") identify the component.

The salespeople, for the most part, are unable to take down an order correctly ... and can't spell. Or keep track of their files. My file is probably still laying on Chris Olsen's desk, buried under his lunch, and a ton of other files he never bothers to read. Chris is head of the Sale Department. Very polite ... and very full of it. Excellent lip-service, if you are into that sort of thing.

The warranty company is a running joke, and the last conversation I had with the CEO of the company led me to believe that he is still in the process of attempting to find a third-party who at least knows how to return a phone call. Competence being a distant second priority on the list.

I have spent so much time on the phone with this company that I actually have the home phone number of the CEO, just in case something else goes wrong with my current machine over the next 3 years. Now ... imagine what you might have to go through with your computer in order to reach this point with any manufacturer. How many people order a Dell, and end up with Michael Dell's phone number, just to get warranty work performed?

The machine I am currently running was assembled, as a warranty replacement, by the head of the technical support division, Roland Poitevien. The computer wouldn't boot when it arrived ... because he had configured both of the two hard drives as slaves. There was supposed to be intensive testing done on the computer before it was shipped ... I'm still trying to figure out how he managed that feat. Someone should also tell him how to plug in the power leads on the mainboard ... he had that screwed up, too.

This was after he told me that this machine had been assembled as a review machine, as if it was being sent to a magazine like Maximum PC, or another third-party, for a national review. They took pictures, to use it as reference model. But it wouldn't boot. Almost funny, huh?

This is my fifth computer from Alienware. Three of them have been sent back. One replacement was shipped to a guard post in Massachusetts, was signed for, and disappeared. It took me two days to convince these morons that I live in North Carolina, and didn't know a soul in Massachusetts. They also sent a replacement monitor to somewhere in Arizona.

I could site dozens of incidents concerning Alienware, and the incompetence of the people who work there. I know at least ten of them by name, and could send you a list of who to avoid. It's that bad.

This is the bare facts ... on my honor. Hell, call and ask for Roland. I expect that the sound of my name will make him blanch. The feeling is mutual. You couldn't pay me to ever deal with them again. Just the thought makes me feel nauseous. I had to call them (not including the calls to the warranty company) 47 times over a three month period to finally get some help with my last computer, which was dead in the water. That's right ... <i>47</i>. I documented the calls, who I talked to, and what was discussed.

As for the issue of the P4 vs the Athlon ... there's tons of information about this, all over the Net. There's enough on this forum alone to keep you reading for several hours. Take it all in ... and decide for yourself.

But if you want my opinion ...

The P4 with the Intel 850 board is rock solid. The most stable system I have ever owned. But the Athlon 1.4 is faster in most respects. My preference with an Athlon would be with the 760 chipset.

Opinions may vary.

If you really want a retail gaming machine of the highest quality, and don't want to build it yourself ... I'd highly suggest you contact Falcon Northwest. Compare the reviews and the customer response's around the Internet ... it's a much better deal. Just checking out their aluminum cases ought to be enough to make you take a second look.

Oh, and by the way ... wrong forum. ;-)

<A HREF="http://www.falcon-nw.com/site.htm" target="_new">http://www.falcon-nw.com/site.htm</A>

See ya .... Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
take a look at the Falcon Northwest machines if you want a good custom built machine. They are the NEW Alienware.

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Sorry, did I miss the part where he said he wanted to build his own? Thought not.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes but if he knew how much money he'd be throwing away he might want to learn to build his own. I just informed him of the money he could save through a different route then a prebuilt.
I remember getting my first computer for $3000 and if I would have known I could save money building it myself I would have done it. Even if I would have had to learn everything from scratch, maybe I just value money more, and I'd rather learn something new instead of throwing money at it to solve the problem.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Your response gave the impression that Falcon Northwest PC's are no good, I built my own too. But if you have the cash, as this guy apparently does and doesn't want to build his own (I don't blame him) then I suggest a Falcon Northwest Mach V machine. He was asking whether or not a Alienware machine was worth the purchase. Telling hime to build his own doesn't help him.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what I was really trying to show is that Falcon charges to much for their prebuilts. Even Dell and Gateway wouldn't charge nearly as much for equivalent systems. How they can get away with charging over $1000 more than the individual parts can be purchased is just ludicrous. The point of a prebuilt used to be to save money getting the computer already built and just accepting a few generic parts (ram, mobo) but now its turned into over paying for all brand name parts.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'd rather have an Alienware or Falcon machine (customer service, etc. aside), than a Dell or Gateway.

By the way, the Falcon configurator is the best I've seen so far (I've looked at a lot). Just no flat panel monitors, which is strange.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

I have had computers from Gateway, Dell and most recently Alienware. I have been sadly disappointed with my Alienware computer. Something very wrong has happened to this company. They used to be a quality company prior to my buying a computer from them a year ago. I have had terrible experiences with trying to get tech support for what ended up being a faulty Athlon CPU from them. I definitely would recommend you buy from someone else, especially someone who has a good tech support department. On a positive note I have gotten so frustrated relying on them that I ended up teaching myself enough about computers to build my own now. It is is really a lot easier than I thought and would highly recommend you read some build it yourself guides and build your own. That is definitely the way to go if you want the best computer for the least money.