When finding a /oW causes despair

So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
.... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
/oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Cyde Weys wrote:
> So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
> ... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
> /oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.

You know, it seems that the best way to generate a /oW is to attempt
such conducts. Coincidence? I think not!

Are /oW really that rare? I've found three or four randomly generated in
only a little over a year of playing, plus maybe another one or two in
bones files from Hearse.

Andy Johnson wrote on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:19:06 -0700:
> Are /oW really that rare?

One out of 200, according to Dylan's spoiler. (This excludes wands
generated in monster inventories). There are a good deal of wands lying
about the dungeon and shops, or stuffed in chests, and always four in
Sokoban. So if you play enough long-ish games, you'll probably find one
sooner rather than later.

(I've found two in my last ten games, in shops on Dl3 and DL4.)

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in

> Cyde Weys wrote:
>> So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless
>> tourist, and ... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My
>> second ever random /oW in four years of playing and I can't even use
>> it. The RNG is so cruel.
>>

> You know, it seems that the best way to generate a /oW is to attempt
> such conducts. Coincidence? I think not!

No kidding! Guess what I just found another of ... yup, a random /oW. So
now 2 out of the 3 random /oW's I've EVER seen were in the same wishless
game.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Xns96A4D303AA7542galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
>... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
>/oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.

Not at all! There is hardly a better coup de grace than ascending with
one or more unused /oW in your inventory!

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

james wrote:

>>So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
>>... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
>>/oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.
>
> Not at all! There is hardly a better coup de grace than ascending with
> one or more unused /oW in your inventory!

Breaking a wand of wishing, while painful, is also a nice touch of
style. "Take THAT, crutch of the incompetent!"

Cyde Weys wrote:
> So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
> ... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
> /oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.

If you don't want it, send it on over to me.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Cyde Weys wrote:
> > So I'm doing a polyselfless, polyitemless, genoless, wishless tourist, and
> > ... I find a random /oW on the quest. Gahhhrr!!! My second ever random
> > /oW in four years of playing and I can't even use it. The RNG is so cruel.
>

> If you don't want it, send it on over to me.

According to Cyde's completion post, he finally had to abandon wishless
conduct, only after having found three wands of wishing.
Hmmm, I wonder if one could try and trick the rng this way?

"Well, my next game will be wishless ! (whistles innocently)"

Clemence

Clemence Magnien wrote:

> Hmmm, I wonder if one could try and trick the rng this way?

> "Well, my next game will be wishless ! (whistles innocently)"

This just guarantees that the RNG will issue no random wands of sihing
or magic lamps at all, smoky potions will be hallucination, and the
castle wand will be inadvertently destroyed by an over-zealous soldier
wielding a /olightning.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Clemence Magnien wrote:
> > "Well, my next game will be wishless ! (whistles innocently)"
> This just guarantees that the RNG will issue no random wands of sihing
> or magic lamps at all, smoky potions will be hallucination,

No, smoky potions will be full healing, and you will get a hostile djinni
in the most inconvenient moment.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de