Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Monitor for 3D artwork and gaming

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 10, 2013 8:18:47 AM

I have been looking around for a cheap and decent quality screen for my computer. Price range is $199.99 and lower if possible. I really don't want to pay $200 if I don't HAVE to. Screen size no smaller than 19'.

If you need my computer specs:
Spoiler
CPU: i7-3770
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 650
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro
Memory: CORSAIR G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB
Cooling system: Noctua NH-D14
DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

After doing some research I was able to find this at varying prices: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-amOjgycRcys/p_30522D5003/S...

I also went looking around for monitors since I hear they are better, although TV's have longer life spans I heard. Eventually I managed to find these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Question: I found all 5 of these to be very similar. Personally I am leaning more towards the ASUS VH232H mainly because it has a built in speaker.

Are any of these of good quality? Are they any good for someone working with 3D programs like Maya and playing games? What do you think? What would you recommend?

More about : monitor artwork gaming

January 10, 2013 3:13:00 PM

Of the group that you have put together I would leave out the Acer and go with eiter of the others. Asus , Dell and HP are all monitors that I feel comfortable recomending.

I'm cuious as to why you would get all good quality components for the computer build and yet not want to get a high quality monitor that your going to view the results on of what your high quality computer will display.

You may have a heart attack if you were to see the monitor that I would recomend to go with the components that you put in your computer.I know that's it's out f your price range and you are not going to consider it but it would be a match for what you have put together for a computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
January 10, 2013 8:05:59 PM

The reason I was going for a cheaper monitor is b/c I am still buying all the parts for the computer and my budget for just the computer is already over by about $300. If I count the $139 OS windows professional that I may have to buy (b/c my computer is a 16+ GB ram) and the computer case, I will be almost over $500 of my budget.

This is why I am not sure if I can spring for an expensive monitor. I will see if I can find a monitor close to those specs for cheaper if possible, and save up a bit more cash to spend on one.

Thank you for your help. If I think about it, I might even be able to get that monitor (It will take a lot of saving though).
Score
Related resources
January 10, 2013 8:24:37 PM

You could always get a cheap one if your intention is to save for a good one , it would be a waste to have all those top quality parts and not have a top quality monitor also.
By the time your ready they may hve a better selection of monitors and lower prices on the ones out now.
Score
January 11, 2013 12:37:02 PM

I am a bit curious though, are the monitors I have chosen going to interfer with with how graphics appear on my screen?

For example, a screen I owned awhile back was so dark that dark greens, dark blues and dark browns all look ed black to me. Colors I thought I had made dark were actually light when I checked them on a better screen. I'm trying to avoid that issue, these screens won't do that, will they?
Score

Best solution

January 11, 2013 4:19:19 PM

Remember that you get what you pay for and when you start going under a certian price you can't expect to get the same level of quality that you get from a higher priced monitor.

The good thing is that the monitors that you selected have led backlight and that will make the display brighter so you shouldn't have the same dark situation that you were describing.

What you will have to do is sit down and go over your budget amount and see what the max budget you can come up with. Playing games is one thing and doing work is another , if you need color accuracy because your doing 3D work then you need to make sure that what your making is coming out the way your designing it or you'll be wasting your time.
Playing games is less important and you can mostly get by with less quality , as long as you can see the screen and the game runs smoothly.
January 18, 2013 3:47:04 AM

Best answer selected by 1_x_1.
Score
!