Sign in with
Your question

Damn, I think I just blew my Athlon T-bird 1.3 up

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2001 7:40:29 PM

I have had some problems with cooling my T-bird 1.3 GHz (running at 65C). So I have had my Silverado of and on a couple of times to make sure it was mounted correctly and to apply Arctic Silver. Nothing seemed to help, the temperature stayed at 65C. Now my PC wont boot up :frown: .
I have noticed that tiny pieces has broken of the CPU core at the edges. could that have smashed the CPU ??

Well with the next CPU i buy, I think I will have a coppershim to go with it....

Tressor
System:
ASUS A7A 266
Athlon T-bird 1333@0 :frown:
256 MB DDR-ram
Gefore3 gk
Silverade Noisecontrol

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tressor on 07/04/01 03:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : damn blew athlon bird

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2001 8:28:36 PM

AMD should do something about these crack-cpu-isues
July 4, 2001 11:23:40 PM

Sounds like it's hosed to me.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"
July 4, 2001 11:26:43 PM

if pieces came off I'd say its dead. Shouldn't have gotten that heat sink, its well known to be a POS.
Volcanoe II is even better than that HSF. but when you can get a globalwin FOP38, or wbk38 for like $20 its well worth it to save your CPU. hopefully its under warranty
July 4, 2001 11:30:21 PM

Silverado=POS? first time I heard that.

No warranty cover if you physically destroy your cpu with a non-approved heatsink. Have to hope the vendor is in a good mood.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
July 4, 2001 11:48:01 PM

I saw several reviews where it could not even cool a 1 GHz correctly. so if it can't cool 1 GHz its gonna be a POS on a 1.33
July 4, 2001 11:50:50 PM

interesting - I thought the THG cooler review used a 1G and it came out 2nd or 3rd something?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
July 5, 2001 1:28:46 AM

Well, it certainly did better than my GlobalWin FOP32. It got my T-bird 1.33 down to 38C, where the FOP32 normally keeps it at about 42C. Only reason I'm using the FOP32 was because the Silverado more or less felt like a brick sticking out lengthwise from my mobo. I didn't feel comfortable with that...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
July 5, 2001 1:59:38 AM

IT's shot. your not supposed to take the heatsink on and off, on and off, on and off.....

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed
July 5, 2001 12:41:57 PM

True, but AMD should take some responsibility for the fragile cores. With prices so low, why not make the core stronger, and add $10 or so to the price to cover the development cost? Or, why not simply include a copper shim to (again, more cost but worth it) with their cpu's?

Of course, doing so would admit there is a problem with fragile cores, so we have a "Catch 22" situation.

While AMD has finally added a thermal diode to the Palomino line, it appears that the responsibility of monitoring the diode will lie with the motherboard, and not the chip itself. This is better then nothing, but it appears to be simply a "kludge" or a "patch", rather then a fully engineered solution.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
July 5, 2001 3:39:30 PM

Is it really that big a problem or does it only occur in blatant user error? I have a Thermaltake Ord HSF for my Duron, and it is the absolute worst HSF to install. I have installed and uninstalled it over 5 times now, each time having to push down with extreme force (and I mean a lot!) to get the thing on, and mines still purring away. Besides a little grinding, there was no chipping. Being that there was such grinding shows that the cores can take a lot before they fail, so it must besomething else causing them to do that than just a simple product defect.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
July 5, 2001 4:38:05 PM

It is blatant user error of course. I have not had a problem, but I don't remove my HSF on a weekly basis.

But it sure does get enough attention to have earned AMD a reputation for fragile cores, and could/should be addressed by AMD.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
July 5, 2001 4:47:31 PM

ROFL@U

When is someone gonna point out the obvious?

AMD cannot maintain consistant core height, let alone making sure the glue hits the core square.
As a result you get alot of cracked cores because OEM fans are not adjustable to the variations in core height.

Shims sometimes are too big and HSF cannot touch the core or HSF fit is too tight and cracks the core.

Call me a liar, convince everyone im making it up, whatever. your the ones with cracked cores and shims that do not fit.
July 5, 2001 5:11:22 PM

<font color=blue>"AMD cannot maintain consistant core height, let alone making sure the glue hits the core square.
As a result you get alot of cracked cores because OEM fans are not adjustable to the variations in core height."</font color=blue>

<b>Fabricated Fugger Facts (FFF for short)</b>

Have you measured thousands of AMD cores to make such a statement? How about a link to backup your claim?

Cores crack because the HSF units are installed improperly, not due to inconsistant core height.

I agree that the cores should be stronger, and that AMD should address the issue.

July 6, 2001 2:46:10 PM

Has anyone gone to bowser's homepage??? That guys got problems, SCARY problems.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
July 6, 2001 4:33:39 PM

Yeah, no joke.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.
July 6, 2001 4:38:21 PM

i bet the intel head men all suck his dick on a nightly basis just to get him to come here and spews his propaganda...
!