How to handle Plane of Water?

I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris
15 answers Last reply
More about handle plane water

    Cyde Weys wrote:

    > I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about
    > the Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    > polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    > Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of
    > Water?

    Just make sure you're carrying at least one /oTeleport, and watch the
    messages carefully. If you find any grease, that could add some more
    redundancy.

    In nearly every single one of my ascensions (I think about 15), I've done
    Water with eels not genocided, and not bothered with an oilskin clock or
    "oMB.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
    are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:05:00 GMT, Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

    >Cyde Weys wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about
    >> the Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    >> polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    >> Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of
    >> Water?
    >
    >Just make sure you're carrying at least one /oTeleport, and watch the
    >messages carefully. If you find any grease, that could add some more
    >redundancy.

    Spell of teleport away should work as well. I can testify that
    Benjamin's advice is a 100% sure method of dealing with being enwrapped.
    (The spell of finger of death at 0% failure with plenty of mana will
    also work.)

    It looks like the chance of a wrapping attempt succeeding are
    dependent only on the to-hit chance of the monster. So the lower
    the AC the better.

    The following suggestions are UNTESTED.

    >In nearly every single one of my ascensions (I think about 15), I've done
    >Water with eels not genocided, and not bothered with an oilskin clock or
    >"oMB.

    Cancellation removes monsters' ability to enwrap you. ';'
    have no magic resistance so maybe it's a sure thing, without having
    to burn a wand of teleport charge. Name ('C') the monster before
    you zap it so you know it's been canceled.

    Of course, if you miss, you're in trouble. Can you miss?
    And how would you know? If you zap a monster with a wand of
    cancellation and it resists, you get a message. If you miss,
    there may not be any message.

    I know I've missed Rodney with a wand of death many times.
    Others have posted of the same problem. Whether that carries
    over to wands of cancellation I don't know.

    Spell of cancellation might work as well.

    If you do get wrapped up by an ';' with more than one of them
    next to you, the "/" command will tell you which one it is in the
    monster's description: "(holding you)".

    Possible alternative tactic: write a scroll of scare monster
    and bless it. Rebless it after each use and it should last
    forever. Wonder if it would work when levitating over water?

    What happens when you try to grease a scroll?

    Spell of cause fear might work as well. Since ';' have no
    magic resistance I *guess* they might not be able to resist it.
    Here's your chance to find out :-).

    Cloak of displacement should be helpful.

    I've found that being invisible and wearing a ring of conflict
    is very helpful. Might cause problems if you accidentally hit
    the portal before removing the ring.

    Spells/scrolls of charm monster should probably be tried in
    advance.

    From:
    <http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/mon1-343.txt>

    SPECIES LEV SPD AC MR RESISTS ATTACKS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

    ; jellyfish 3 3 6 0 P 3d3P
    ; piranha 5 12 4 0 2d6
    ; shark 7 12 2 0 5d6
    ; giant eel 5 9 -1 0 3d6 0d0w
    ; electric eel 7 10 -3 0 E 4d6E 0d0w
    ; kraken 20 3 6 0 2d4 2d4 H2d6w 5d4

    Looks like spell/wand of slow monster isn't worth trying.
    Spell/wand of sleep might work pre-emptively. (Enchantment
    spells seem to be the most neglected of spells.)

    But Benjamin's advice is the only way I've actually used to
    escape sea monsters holding me. I'd guess you'd want to examine
    nearby ';' to see which ones are eels/kraken. That way you won't
    run into a kraken trying to avoid a jelly fish.

    Jove

    Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    > I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    > Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    > polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    > Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?

    You genocide couatls, obviously.

    Richard

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Cyde Weys wrote:

    > I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    > Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    > polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    > Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?

    Try to stay in the middle of the bubbles and not fight. Use wands of
    teleport/death to quickly deal with the eels. Cast enough creat monsters
    on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be tedious). Reverse
    geno until they are extinct (this does not break genoless).

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

    Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in

    > Cast enough creat
    > monsters on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be
    > tedious).

    AFAIK you can't create a ; with a spell of create monster, and they can't
    be extincted.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <42ee9de1.21884687@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Richard Bos <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:

    >Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    >> Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    >> polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    >> Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?
    >
    >You genocide couatls, obviously.

    How is that an obvious strategy for a genoless game?
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote in

    > Richard Bos <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried
    >>> about the Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless,
    >>> polyselfless, and polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin
    >>> Cloak of Amulet of Magical Breathing. So how am I going to handle
    >>> the nasties on the Plane of Water?
    >>
    >>You genocide couatls, obviously.
    >
    > How is that an obvious strategy for a genoless game?

    How is it an obvious strategy for any game?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    james wrote:
    > In article <42ee9de1.21884687@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > Richard Bos <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    >>>Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    >>>polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    >>>Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?
    >>
    >>You genocide couatls, obviously.
    >

    > How is that an obvious strategy for a genoless game?

    Well, since you can't actually *do* it, it's a pretty good
    genocide selection for a genoless character...

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    Cyde Weys wrote:
    > I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    > Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    > polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    > Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?

    I've crossed the Plane of Water fourteen times (the first of
    those went down to Famine... the subsequent thirteen took their seats in
    the demigods' bar). I've never in my life genocided ;. I've never worn
    an oilskin cloak in the Planes (or for more than long enough to find a
    better cloak, for that matter). I've never been grabbed by a ; on Water.

    My method of dealing with ;s on Water has always been staying
    away from the edges of the bubbles, and if a ; comes next to me anyway,
    clobbering the holy living bejeezus out of it before it can so much as
    twitch. Given very fast speed, an AC usually in the -30s, and a heavily
    enchanted weapon (or two), I can typically kill even krakens before they
    land a hit.

    I do generally grease my cloak (and helm, if I haven't nuked the
    mind flayers), but it's never been necessary. It's helped against
    owlbears and pit fiends and the like, but never against ;s.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    Jym wrote:

    > Cast enough creat
    > monsters on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be
    > tedious).

    I don't think this works. I believe create monster respects random
    monster creation, and no ; are ever randomly created after level
    generation (if you kill all ; on Medusa, no more will appear).

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    John Campbell wrote on Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:07:36 GMT:

    > I've crossed the Plane of Water fourteen times
    > I've never in my life genocided ;.

    > My method of dealing with ;s on Water has always been staying
    > away from the edges of the bubbles, and if a ; comes next to me anyway,
    > clobbering the holy living bejeezus out of it

    I've crossed the Plane of water many times also. My strategy is to
    genocide ;, then levitate over the water directly to the portal without
    worrying about monsters at all (unless a couatl shows up).

    If I didn't genocide ;, I would certainly wear conflict, and hope the
    monsters were too busy with each other to drown me. In fact, conflict on
    the Planes is a good idea regardless of what other choices you make.

    --
    "Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
    judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Seraphim wrote:

    > Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in
    >
    > > Cast enough creat
    > > monsters on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be
    > > tedious).
    >
    > AFAIK you can't create a ; with a spell of create monster, and they can't
    > be extincted.

    You're right about creation (from the extinctionnist FAQ : "There is oddly
    a bit of code in Nethack that attempts to create water monsters when you
    are standing in water. However, this never happens because water monsters
    are never randomly generated and thus will never be created.")

    But I think they can be extinct. So that only leave reverse genociding
    enough of them.

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in

    > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Seraphim wrote:
    >
    >> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Cast enough creat
    >> > monsters on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be
    >> > tedious).
    >>
    >> AFAIK you can't create a ; with a spell of create monster, and they
    >> can't be extincted.
    >
    > You're right about creation (from the extinctionnist FAQ : "There is
    > oddly a bit of code in Nethack that attempts to create water
    > monsters when you are standing in water. However, this never happens
    > because water monsters are never randomly generated and thus will
    > never be created.")
    >
    > But I think they can be extinct. So that only leave reverse
    > genociding enough of them.

    Why would you think that? The same spoiler that you quotes includes all
    the ; monsters under the "TYPE 3: Non-extinctable but genocidable"
    table.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
    >I'm about to embark upon my Ascension run and I'm really worried about the
    >Plane of Water. I'm doing wishless, genoless, polyselfless, and
    >polyitemless. I haven't yet found an Oilskin Cloak of Amulet of Magical
    >Breathing. So how am I going to handle the nasties on the Plane of Water?

    Levitate, giving you the whole level to maneuver in, and try to have
    temporary speed in order to be very fast. You can then easily outmaneuver
    eels.

    A greased cloak helps; a WoTele provides an easy get-out-of-jail-free if
    you check the messages.
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
    Today is Monday, July.

    Jym wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Seraphim wrote:
    >
    >>Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in
    >>
    >>>Cast enough creat
    >>>monsters on watery levels (Medusa) to extinct ; (this would be
    >>>tedious).
    >>
    >>AFAIK you can't create a ; with a spell of create monster, and they can't
    >>be extincted.
    >
    > You're right about creation (from the extinctionnist FAQ : "There is oddly
    > a bit of code in Nethack that attempts to create water monsters when you
    > are standing in water. However, this never happens because water monsters
    > are never randomly generated and thus will never be created.")
    >
    > But I think they can be extinct. So that only leave reverse genociding
    > enough of them.

    The same spoiler says specific monsters on special levels don't respect
    extinction. So you'll still be left with all the eels and krakens that
    are explicitly created.

Games Video Games