[S] Using Recover

Playing version 0.0.7E7F1, I had a crash. I tried to use recover, but I
got "Cannot open level 0 for 0.0.7E7F1". Am I entering the command
wrong, or is that character well and truly dead?

-RdF

roidesfoux wrote:
> Playing version 0.0.7E7F1, I had a crash. I tried to use recover, but I
> got "Cannot open level 0 for 0.0.7E7F1". Am I entering the command
> wrong, or is that character well and truly dead?

What command are you using exactly? And on what system are you
playing?

If slashem is like nethack (you are playing slasnem, right?),
and you are playing on a linux-like system, I think you should
have a buch of alock.* files in your slashem directory.
The command to run should then be:
recover ./alock,
while being in the slashem directory, and you should run it
as root (or games).

If you're using windows of mac os x, I can't help you because
I don't know how recover is supposed to work.

Clemence

Clemence Magnien wrote:
> roidesfoux wrote:
> > Playing version 0.0.7E7F1, I had a crash. I tried to use recover, but I
> > got "Cannot open level 0 for 0.0.7E7F1". Am I entering the command
> > wrong, or is that character well and truly dead?

> If you're using windows of mac os x, I can't help you because
> I don't know how recover is supposed to work.

In Windows you don't get the alock files- at least I've never seen
them. I just end up with a load of level files, for example

user-dogscoff.0
user-dogscoff.1
user-dogscoff.2
user-dogscoff.3
user-dogscoff.61

and so on, where user is my windows logon, and dogscoff is the name of
my game's character.

To recover the above game, the syntax would be "recover dogscoff"

This takes you back to the moment you last went up/down some stairs (or
levelported, or fell through a hole, etc etc etc.)

That fixed it. The help it gives you when you just type "recover" led
me to believe that it wanted the version number, not the character
name.

-RdF

"roidesfoux" <roidesfoux@yahoo.com> writes:

> Playing version 0.0.7E7F1, I had a crash. I tried to use recover, but I
> got "Cannot open level 0 for 0.0.7E7F1". Am I entering the command
> wrong, or is that character well and truly dead?

That probably really depends HOW you are entering the command.

"My computer is broken. What is wrong with it?"

--
Jukka Lahtinen