Sign in with
Your question

Is intel dropping the .13 P3?

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2001 8:01:09 AM

A <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/03070111.htm" target="_new">news report</A> in the inquirer states that intel might drop it before it even becomes widely available. I suppose the profit margin in the pentium III's were dropping far too much for their liking.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

More about : intel dropping

July 5, 2001 12:04:41 PM

damnit.. I was considering getting a couple of those
in dually config for my oracle server..
(considering that dually AMD boards are way out of
reach right now)

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
July 5, 2001 12:06:22 PM

Let me get this straight?! They'll discontinue the Tualatin but leave the pathetic Williamette in place? I supose marketing really is that big a deal to Intel. Unless the blue men dance there's a no go....

I suppose everything hangs on the Northwood now. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

What's the deal keeping the celeron?

I think this guy is full of crap. This would make little sense unless he knows that the Northwood rocks, will support DDR, and will be price competitive. Hopefully it is though...

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>
Related resources
July 5, 2001 1:26:02 PM

seems to make sense with the Intel website that only lists Tualatin for server and mobile cpu.

The Tualatin would have kinda taken the legs out from under the current P4 - can you imagine the market place?

"Oh - Hi, yeah we just released this new PIII that actaully kinda runs as well as your really expensive PIV systems that have no upgrade path and we'd like you to go back to PIII for a little longer whilst we get PIV right this time with Northwood. Sorry about that people."

I can see it now! Now this cpu will make an awesome mobile processor and if the specs are right, it will give mobile Athlon a really good run for it's money. At current clocks of mobile Athlon the AMD would not even be a choice!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
July 5, 2001 3:11:24 PM

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. I don't want to buy a Sot 1 P3, then a socket P3, then a P4, then a Tualatin P3, then a Northwood P4. 5 different CPUs in a couple of years. All with different motherboards.

Now, what about adapters for Tualatin and Northwood? That would be interesting.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.
July 5, 2001 6:31:08 PM

Says in the article "The tualatins are a diversion"

More like a solution! Why mess with something that would be the perfect mid range option.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>
July 5, 2001 7:56:25 PM

Those companies who built those new mobos in the review last month are going to be pissed!

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>
July 6, 2001 12:45:10 AM

The inquirer also said earth would end in 2000 and jesus lives in texas.

Pure speculation
July 6, 2001 12:56:51 AM

i agree
July 6, 2001 1:05:13 AM

hmms
i read that too, possibly at the register.co.uk, but i cant be certain.
i also read that while the p3 is to be discontinued, the celleron is to be continued at 100fsb beyond 1000mhz.

please, i hope this REALLY is wrong. they should just let the celleron die a quiet death and use the p3.
if its true then intel really is run by beancounters.

I think im going crazy and hearing voices, but my Hamster says im not!
July 6, 2001 1:31:00 AM

If anything, why not use the tully core but call it a "celeron". If marketing is their concern then that would work, but at least their customers would get a better processor. I haven't even seen a new celeron put in a system for over a year now...

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2001 1:33:51 AM

bottom line, intel isn't going to do _anything_ to hurt the P4.
July 6, 2001 2:52:11 PM

Too late, they started making them.

July 6, 2001 4:43:20 PM

Haven't you seen those Gateway commercials on TV? They're always talking about how you can get this great complete system for under a grand. When you listen closely though, you'll hear that the system is a CELERON! Evil evil evil!

Actually, I've heard a lot of the big OEMs offering Celerons still. What is worse is that a lot of them seem to think that Celeron name is a selling point. And worse yet, I've known a few people uneducated enough to think that because of the way Celerons are being marketted, that they're better than the P3.

[shudder]

I have to go into my sensory deprivation tank now and convince myself that none of this is real...

-THG isn't AMD biased. They just turn Intel mobo reviews into AMD vs. Intel debates for fun. Yeah.
July 6, 2001 5:27:26 PM

Do you have an extra tank for me? One that bowser, FUGGER and AmdMeltdown can't penetrate?

July 6, 2001 5:56:23 PM

[ROFL]

No, but I'm sure if you unplug yourself from the 'net, they won't be able to reach you anymore. :) 

-THG isn't AMD biased. They just turn Intel mobo reviews into AMD vs. Intel debates for fun. Yeah.
July 6, 2001 6:14:49 PM

Yeah, but when you're on the computer at work, with a T1...not much choice.
And why would I want to leave the forums? I'm almost to nimble knuckle.

!