have i been ripped off

G

i recently built a new computer main components as follows:
asus a7v133 m/b bios ver 1004
athlon t'bird 1000mhz cpu (maybe) global win fop32 f&h
256 kingmax pc150
20gig ata100 hd
i set m/b to jumperless setup and booted up ok except the cpu was shown as a 750mhz Athlon during the start up sequence.
i thought that if the m/b was set to jumperless mode the bios identified the cpu features automatically and set itself up accordingly.
the supplier told me to change the cpu frequency in the bios. i changed it from 100 to 133 and now the system boots up as a 1000mhz athlon.
do i have a 1000mhz athlon or have i been ripped off and overclocking a 750mhz athlon

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
you have a 133/266FSB Athlon C which is ALWAYS detected by default as a 100/200FSB cpu. It is a feature.

You have done the correct thing, manually set the board to use 133FSB.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hehehe...it's not a bug it's a feature. That's Microsoft's line. Wonder how AMD would say that.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not a feature or a defect, simply an oversight, the motherboard cannot detect whether the processor is 100 or 133 FSB, so you have to set it manually to 133.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

AMD likes to rip people off. Well overclock and loss the warranty cause it will only last 2 weeks.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ur456/index.html?994178303453" target="_new">Bowser's Homepage</A>

AMD did that on purpose just incase you take an athlon C (133fsb) and put it into a motherboard that is 100mhz fsb only. It's so it doesn't overclock the motherboards that are 100mhz only. So they set it at 100mhz defualt and left it up to you to manually change it to 133mhz if your motherboard supports it. I think it's just a way to cover AMD's butt so no one can sue AMD if they put a athlon C chip in the motherboard and fried the motherboard because of it. lol ... i dunno *shrugs*

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
absolute crap - the motherboard will set the FSB - the chip can effectively 'request' settings such as SFB, voltage and multiplier, but can be overridden. you would not 'fry' a motherboard by putting a 133 FSB chip in a 100FSB mobo - worst case - it just won't post/boot.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ummm.
apologies for trying to insert some logic here BUT
isnt it more the motherboards fault for not detecting the cpu propery?

you and frugger are amusing. "its all amds fault"
using a poor powersupply? thats amd's fault
using generic ram that doesnt work well? yup. amd is a bad boy again.
people who put heatsinks on without prior training and crush the core? you guessed it, AMD's fault for not making a titanium reinforced core!

my Hamster doubts your intelligence.

I think im going crazy and hearing voices, but my Hamster says im not!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I don't have a 100FSB board - but many have tried to set 133FSB on a A7V and not 'fried' it - it just doesn't boot. There is no difference between that or setting a 133 to 166 or something (okay the math is not identical).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
quite possibly...
ive also heard that AMD is at fault for causing foot & mouth in the UK and responsible for the new GST in australia.

come to think of it...
because their chips run so hot AMD is also responsible for global warming!
eeeeks. the terror just grows!

Mighty Hamster. Hear its roar!
*squeak!*

I think im going crazy and hearing voices, but my Hamster says im not!