amd 1.4 question.......

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I have a AMD 1400
and I want to overclock, but I don't have a detailed listing
of the necessary voltages.
I don't want to burn it out, so I'm waiting, until I get some more information...

can anyone clense me of my ignorance?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
it is supposed to be 1.75V and you board will probably not support greater than 1.85V

You may find that reported voltage (outside of bios) ranges higher than you expected - this seems normal as long as bios is reporting the right voltage.

You should use motherboard monitor or similar to monitor your cpu temperatures. You'll need a good cooling solution to overclock that cpu very far - if you have the stock heatsink/fan you possibly shouldn't overclock it very far for very long.

Ideal running temperature when overclocked would remain below 50C, better if you can get lower.

It will help us to know your motherboard and RAM type (rating and CAS type).

Basically, depending on your board, you may have two options to overclock the cpu - the FSB or the mutiplier (okay - I lied, 3 options - you can use multiplier and FSB at the same time :smile: )

Let us know about your mobo and RAM combination and we'll go from there!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Okay - you have a really good set of components there - what are you cooling that Athlon with though, and what are your current temperatures?

As far as I'm aware the MSI will allow you to overclock both the FSB and the Multiplier.

Overall system performance will improve by raising the FSB, as this increases memory performance also, increasing the multiplier will increase the cpu performance only.

In reality and if you have good enough cooling you could probably get that setup to 1.6G or maybe higher - but there is always an element of luck. As I said, watch your temperatures and gradually work up to a good overclock speed. I'd generally first explore what is the maximum FSB your system will support at default multiplier and go from there.

If the system becomes unstable, try notching up the vcore a little and if that does not help consider raising the vio memory voltage.

Remeber that doing this technically voids any warranty you have and you do so at your own risk - it is possible to damage your system or shorten it's life by running it outside of manufacturer's specs...

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I'm using the global win fop32-1
and a completely open case, with rounded cables and such
for cooling...

so the temperature of the cpu should be below 50C
and the voltage at arround 1.75
and try first to keep the multiplier at default...
ok, thanks! :)

anything else I should try to keep in mind?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think that should get you started - there are plenty more things long term you may want to do in terms of watercooling and such, but it sounds like you are just getting into it so that should be a good conservative approach.

FatBurger

Illustrious
First off, a closed case with a good assortment of fans will cool better than an open case with no fans.

And check your temperatures to make sure of what they are. Too many people have strange temperatures that wouldn't seem likely, but they happen.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.