Laptop freezing for 5-30 seconds constantly

Westy177

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
A few day's ago I started encountering freezing issues when on google chrome and skype. They'd usually last for about 5-30 seconds as the title suggests when it happens I can still move the mouse but during the longer freezes the mouse will go unresponsive. So far I've only encountered one freeze that has forced me to hold down the power button to turn off the laptop. The processes i've done so far to fix this s are an Advanced System care full scan, ccleaner, defraggler , disk doctor (part of advanced system care ) clean result, Ive also done a boot time self test by pressing F10 at start (sorry im not sure exactly what this is ) the memory test came clean, and the HDD self test failed the first time i did it on test 2 (comprehensive) saying Error: read memory. I re-did it yesterday and it passed all 3 tests.
The freezes usually occur when I click on an application and it takes an abnormal amount of time to load and then it freezes. Also I've noticed general degradation in overall performance things take longer to load games are much slower. I don't know what's causing this but I'm at my wits end any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
This is my first post on this website so if I got any of it wrong I'm sorry.

Solution
try hd tune and the vendor hard drive disk tools. most time it the harddrive or the controler chip that starts going bad when you get lags..freezes. i would back up your personal data fast.

Westy177

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hey, thanks for the fast reply i've dl'ed hd tune already. I was just wondering what exactly I should do with this software. (sorry im a noob :( ) . In terms of backing up the only things on my Hd worth backing up is my Simcity region and plugins folder which amount to 4gb. I use my laptop mainly for games and internet. Also I didn't really elaborate much on my original post since I was in a hurry the cooling fan is a bit clunky to at times .

+1 to smorizio, looks as if your drive failing. You can sometimes extend it's life by opening CMD prompt as administrator and entering chkdsk /f /r (note spaces before /)
but don't trust it, back up anything of value. Chkdsk won't run on your drive while your booted in Windows, but will run when you restart. It will probably take a long time depending on drive size, number of files etc.

Could be a heat issue then,
download and run Speccy and see what yr temps are like
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.html
If Speccy doesn't list yr GPU temp try GPUZ
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2198/mirrors.php