Nijle4u

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
Ok i'm on my 2nd processor due to screwing the last one up by chipping hte edge of the core when changing out the heatsink.

I went from a cooler master to a super mini orb from thermaltake. And somewhere along the way either taking old one off or putting the new one on, i broke the fragile core of hte AMD 1.2

My question is, is the thermaltake mini orb the cluprit? Its a BITCH getting that thing on and its eems i have to press down REALLY hard to get it to go.

Secondly, what is the correct procedure for putting one of those things on? What is this "copper shim" i hear about people using?? How much thermal paste should be applied when mounting? B/C when i get the new CPU here i dont want to [-peep-] it up and I DEFINATELY dont want to have to take it back off again!!

Any replies are appreciated

G

Do not use a shim. A poorly engineered shim can keep your CPU away from your HSF. This will result in CPU death. The pads already on the ceramic and a bit of care should allow you to install this thing OK.

Most socketA HSF's are tough to install. The trick is firm even pressure directly above the core, and using an appropriate tool - usually NOT your finger, to hook the clip. Don't forget that thermal paste either :)

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
AMD recommend you install it like <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/howtobuild/socket_proc_install_guide.html" target="_new">THIS</A>
Details of applying thermal compund can be found <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">HERE</A>
I've not used the orb, aparantly they are crap coolers, but on ones I have used, a fair bit of force is needed, it is of <b>utmost importance</b> to keep the Heatsink LEVEL. Why not remove the motherboard so you arnt working around othger parts/case- it will give you mre room.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
Use no more than a grain of rice sized bit of thermal paste for your HSF. Most people use half a grain of rice worth.

And BTW, orbs suck.

Make sure you push down VERY evenly to put on that HSF. You can't rock it on (even though I did, but I have a TIM on my ThermoEngine).

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Nijle4u

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
Look no comments needed about how orbs suck, i've used them in all my pc's before with good results. Since I dont overclock and could care less that my processor is at XX degrees, i just want the thing to not overheat and kill it's self.

G

That looks suspiciously like an infomercial to me.

BTW. want to buy a bridge?

G

I had removed my heatsink to check out the L bridges then put it on with out reapplying the heatsink compound, I just redistributed what was there. I then thought it would be better if I reapplyed the compound, so I got some from Radio Shack removed my HS, wiped off all the old stuff and reapplied the RS compound. In the process, I noticed the corner of the core (about 1 mm) had been broken off, so I replaced the HS more carefully this time, booted up, and so far have had no problems.

My question is, will the core continue to crumble simply due to heat and thermal expansion/contraction, or only if I continue to replace the HS in a cavalier manner?

Another question: Is this Radio Shack heatsink compound any good? I know it's used at NASA...I work there and have seen the hardware guys using it.

Thanks,
Lorin

Pessimist: Glass half empty
Optimist: Glass half full
Engineer: Glass twice as big as needed

G

I bought a duron 900 and i ran it over in my car. Bam Bam Bam then i set it on fire. AMD sucks come on join the good guys.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ur456/index.html?994178303453" target="_new">Bowser's Homepage</A>

G

Thank you for being such an amusing retard bowser.

Its great that we at THG forums have an idiot to laugh at. Really.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hey Bowser, want to buy a P2 350 w/ Intel MB? You could build a supercomputer with it, according to you.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

I think Bowser forgot to add that the Duron still worked after all that.
:)

Pessimist: Glass half empty
Optimist: Glass half full
Engineer: Glass twice as big as needed

G

... due to the window mirroring he installed the wrong way <grins>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I often find is much easier to intall the HSF if I remove the PSU first. There are only 4 screws on the pwr sply.
But whether it helps or not depends on your case layout.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>1st - why spend addt'l money for an orb if you aren't gonna do anything?

2nd - Bowser sounds like he's been eating too many do biscuits.

3rd - I hope Bowser had another innertube for his Barbie bicycle when that cpu f*cked up his tire.

4th - Bud, please, "Take out the power supply" ?!?!?! When doing something as intense as putting in a new proc, c'mon, listen to CALV, pull the motherboard. Makes life a lot easier.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>