Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! 1200, 100 or 133 Have I been conned?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2001 7:16:33 PM

Hi,

I just went to the shops and baught meself a new cheapo processor. I decided its time for an Athlon 1200/133 after my Duron 800. I have clocked a few durons now, so know about the L1 bridges etc. I was just gonna do the L1's on the new CPU and noticed that they have not been cut!

Surely for an Athlon 1200/133 some L1's should be cut! Am I right? Is this in fact a 100FSB? (12 * 100 = 1200). As far as I can guess, a 1200/133 SHOULD have a multiplier of 9.

Now I saw a link once explaining all the markings on the AMD processors and what they all mean. I was sure it was on this site, but cant find it for the life of me.

So.. has anyone either got that link, or confirm that the following IS a 1200/133 ('C type'). If it IS a C type, can you explain the L1 bridges not being cut?

A1200AMS3C
AXIA 0118SPBW
c 199 AMD

Thanks for your time.

Tom...
(gonna pop the CPU in now and see what it posts at.. I expect an answer when I get back lol)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tomtom on 07/05/01 03:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : 1200 100 133 conned

July 5, 2001 8:11:12 PM

Don't worry, your CPU is a 1200c. You can see that by the first line you posted from the core. The 1220 is the clock spedd, and that last letter means it's a C type or 133 bus type. If it were the 100 mhz version, it would be either an A or a B I believe. Also, many of the higher speed athlons now come with the L1 bridges unlocked (uncut). I have the same CPU you do, and mine came unlocked, so no need to worry about that. Just make sure when you plug it in to go in to the bios and change the FSB speed to 133 or it will register the processor as 900 mhz.

That oughta void your warrenty!
July 5, 2001 8:19:13 PM

It would be B. But don't worry, my 1.2/266 came unlocked like that.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2001 8:42:43 PM

OK, yep, It posted at 900/100 But I went into the Bios and changed it.

So.. Booted at 1200/133 but W2k crahsed during boot up :-( it works fine on 1200/100 which is what i'm using at the mo. (Not too keen on 60°C , but thats for me to look at another time).

So would W2K be moaney about the high FSB? Or is it likely to be cheap generic memory? I figured when I bought the PC133 memory, that it would be up to the job! It cant be any probs with the peripherals cos this ASUS board bumps the PCI multiplier down when you do 133FSB.

But my query is now diverging from my first post hehe.. I believe I DO have what I bought :) 

Tom...
July 5, 2001 9:13:49 PM

That's ok, you're allowed to diverge.

Windows shouldn't be a problem. Your PC133 MIGHT be, but that's pretty doubtful.

I'm not sure what it would be. I thought maybe PCI/AGP busses, but it's not those, since you said you made sure they get bumped back down.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2001 9:58:09 PM

you're right, you do have a athlon c chip as the others pointed out. Its a 133/266 bus. heres the link you were looking for as a reference in the future. i posted it a few weeks back....

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/237...

Its a pdf file, so look on page 83 for the PGA OPN data.

if you are still having trouble with booting your machine, post some more details about the rest of your rig and we'll look it over. good luck.

ignore everything i say
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2001 10:47:52 PM

I think that If you hadn't an 266 FSB Athlon, then when you would get that CPU to work at 133, the mainboard couldn't simply beep. CPUs that work at 100 can't work at 133 even if you set them to do through BIOS or jumpers. If you try this (to make a 200 FSB CPU to work at 266 FSB) then the mainboard will remain silent (you will hear only the sound of fans!!).
Moreover, I have purchased the same CPU as you did. An unlocked Athlon 1,2Ghz/133. The problem is that my mainboard QDI Kinetiz 7E doesn't seem to be able to work a CPU above the 1,466Mhz or maybe the CPU isn't able to work above that frequency. Finally, I think that Windows 98 SE can't boot with CPU running at 1,466 Mhz.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2001 10:55:43 PM

I confirmed it is the 133fsb chip and not the 100. I was just expecting the L1's to be cut, which is why I was curious.

Now i'm just trying to get a load of standard components to work at their standard speeds.. *sigh* lol.

I wouldnt mind agro if I was trying to OC the buggah! :) 

Tom...
July 6, 2001 3:16:02 PM

Wow! your post is wrong in so many ways! I don't know what you have been reading - but you need to change!

Quote:
CPUs that work at 100 can't work at 133 even if you set them to do through BIOS or jumpers

they do actually - quite nicely most of the time. Durons have trouble sometimes but the more recent Athlons are fine.

The most likely issue is a 100FSB mobo using a KT133 chipset.

Quote:
Moreover, I have purchased the same CPU as you did. An unlocked Athlon 1,2Ghz/133. The problem is that my mainboard QDI Kinetiz 7E doesn't seem to be able to work a CPU above the 1,466Mhz or maybe the CPU isn't able to work above that frequency

why would that stop you running 1.2G? If your mainboard - in your words - supports cpu up to 1466Mhz, then running 1.2G is fine isn't it?

Quote:
I think that Windows 98 SE can't boot with CPU running at 1,466 Mhz

I don't think anyone ever set a <i>maximum</i> limit of cpu speed for an OS. Win98 will not address more than 512MB memory, but there is not maximum cpu speed I am aware of. As long as the cpu fully supports x86 instruction set.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
July 6, 2001 4:23:16 PM

Tomtom, what motherboard do you have? I don't think you ever said.

!