Yet another funny death - low level wiz

Dearest group,

i want to share with you my latest funny stupidity.

Uli, neutral human wizard, still very low level is going around on
dungeon level 3 or so.

Hey this door is locked. I am so lazy and besides i have this very cool
"force bolt"-spell i can use.

Uli sends the spell against the door. The spell crashes the door and
crashes also the door which is behind this door, 5 or 6 tiles away.
This door belongs to some shopkeeper which is extremely angered and
takes no prisoner.

Lesson #95839 from Nethack learned

Never force bolt a closed door when in doubt that something "valuable"
is on the other side.

on my way to lesson #95840...

Kind regards

Uli
5 answers Last reply
More about funny death level

    In article <1123139357.591253.79390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

    > Lesson #95839 from Nethack learned

    > Never force bolt a closed door when in doubt that something "valuable"
    > is on the other side.

    > on my way to lesson #95840...

    Lesson # 95840: Next time don't zap force bolt straight at the door
    (north, west, south, east), do it diagonnally (north-west,
    south-west,...).

    --
    Panu
    "You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:03:30 +0300
    Tommi Syrjanen <tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:

    >Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> writes:
    >
    >> Lesson # 95840: Next time don't zap force bolt straight at the door
    >> (north, west, south, east), do it diagonnally (north-west,
    >> south-west,...).
    >
    >Not too good lesson. You might still hit a shop door that happens to
    >lie diagonally from the first door. A better one might be "never force
    >bolt a door if you don't know what is on the other side".

    Or "never force bolt a door if you can't kill a shopkeeper".

    Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> writes:

    > Lesson # 95840: Next time don't zap force bolt straight at the door
    > (north, west, south, east), do it diagonnally (north-west,
    > south-west,...).

    Not too good lesson. You might still hit a shop door that happens to
    lie diagonally from the first door. A better one might be "never force
    bolt a door if you don't know what is on the other side".

    Tommi Syrjanen <tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:
    > Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> writes:
    >
    >> Lesson # 95840: Next time don't zap force bolt straight at the door
    >> (north, west, south, east), do it diagonnally (north-west,
    >> south-west,...).
    >
    > Not too good lesson. You might still hit a shop door that happens to
    > lie diagonally from the first door. A better one might be "never force
    > bolt a door if you don't know what is on the other side".

    The odds of that happening are pretty small, though.

    Actually, having a door in line with a shop door at all is pretty
    uncommon in my experience (shops are usually, as far as I've seen,
    at the end of a long hallway after a turn to the side, or down a long
    diagonal passage that isn't in line with another door).

    While "don't force bolt a door if you don't know what's on the other
    side" is probably a good idea, I think the frequency with which is
    matters is pretty low.

    Of course, if I don't have a different door opener, I tend to kick them
    open rather than force bolt.

    Keith

    In article <7jmznxc3jh.fsf@cronotopology.tcs.hut.fi>, Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
    > Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> writes:

    >> Lesson # 95840: Next time don't zap force bolt straight at the door
    >> (north, west, south, east), do it diagonnally (north-west,
    >> south-west,...).

    > Not too good lesson. You might still hit a shop door that happens to
    > lie diagonally from the first door. A better one might be "never force
    > bolt a door if you don't know what is on the other side".

    I realised this a moment after posting. Should've corrected. And as others
    have already stated, hitting a shop door when braking a door is pretty
    rare.

    --
    Panu
    "You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
    Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"

Games Video Games