Games for smaller kids?

February 28, 2005 3:04:14 PM

Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
years old or so) might enjoy?

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"...how much money for Afghan reconstruction did the administration
put in its 2004 budget? None. The Bush team forgot about it.
Embarrassed Congressional staff members had to write in $300 million
to cover the lapse."
- http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/21/opinion/21KRUG.html

More about : games smaller kids

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:33:42 PM

Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> wrote:
> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> years old or so) might enjoy?

My son likes Marbles Squared and Prison (Breakout clone). See:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/marblessquared.shtml
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/theprison.shtml

Mike

--
Michael Zawrotny
Institute of Molecular Biophysics

Ray Ingles wrote:
> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> years old or so) might enjoy?

My kids are 4 - 6 years old. Here is what I have on my Palm for them:

Total Recall (like concentration):
http://www.hybrid.fi/palm/recall.html

Memorix (also like concentration):
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/memorix.shtml

Bubblewrap:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/bubblewrap.shtml

Coconut Fern (connect 4):
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/coconutfern.shtml

DrawIt (good drawing program):
http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/drawit.shtml

EasyMath:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/educational/easymath.shtml

Make Faces:
http://www.wagware.com/makefaces.htm

KLeidoscop (nice visuals):
http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/kleidoscop.shtml

Mini Piano:
http://www.vadino.com/palm-os/multimedia/audio-editors/...

Timbiriche (dots / boxes):
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/timbiriche!.shtml

Matches:
http://www.freewarepalm.com/games/matches.shtml

Hope this helps,
-Scott
March 1, 2005 6:29:41 PM

NekoCat http://www.freewarepalm.com/misc/nekocat.shtml

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

In article <38jg34F5pk1inU1@individual.net>, Alan Hoyle wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2005 12:04:14 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:
>> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
>> years old or so) might enjoy?
>
> NekoCat http://www.freewarepalm.com/misc/nekocat.shtml

Saw that one, but found one that's about 1/10th the size...

http://www.ninelocks.com/neko/neko.html

--

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Technically, Windows is an operating system, which means that it
supplies your computer with the basic commands it needs to suddenly,
with no warning whatsoever, stop operating." - Dave Barry
March 1, 2005 7:40:59 PM

On 2005-03-01, Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> wrote:
> In article <38jg34F5pk1inU1@individual.net>, Alan Hoyle wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2005 12:04:14 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:
>>> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
>>> years old or so) might enjoy?
>>
>> NekoCat http://www.freewarepalm.com/misc/nekocat.shtml
>
> Saw that one, but found one that's about 1/10th the size...
>
> http://www.ninelocks.com/neko/neko.html

The site is temporarily down, so I added a note in my palm to remind me
to visit it in the future.

However, Grafitti decided to interpret my l with a c. Good job I noticed
before I turned off, or I would have been most confused next week
upon finding the note to myself: Must browse this site!!

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

In article <slrnd296or.oom.google@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>, Toby wrote:
>> http://www.ninelocks.com/neko/neko.html
>
> The site is temporarily down, so I added a note in my palm to remind me
> to visit it in the future.

Funny, I just checked it a moment ago and see it...

> However, Grafitti decided to interpret my l with a c. Good job I noticed
> before I turned off, or I would have been most confused next week
> upon finding the note to myself: Must browse this site!!

:->

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

Microsoft Windows - The art of incompetence.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:48:51 PM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:03:30 GMT, S Yanoff wrote:

> Hope this helps,
> -Scott

Sweet list, Scott! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to add a number of
those to my Palm for our little one.

--
Derek

"I know that you consider it sort of astonishing anybody would say so,
but I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of
things." -- Dan Rather, on "The O'Reilly Factor" (5/15/2001)

And he wonders why some people don't trust him? Sheesh.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:09:46 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:04:14 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:

> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> years old or so) might enjoy?

How about getting them outside, instead of contributing to
the growing ADHD disorder mounting in many countries. Try soccer,
baseball, flying a kite, teach them a skill... get them OUTSIDE in the
fresh air, learning things.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:09:47 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:09:46 -0500, John Doe wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:04:14 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
>> years old or so) might enjoy?
>
> How about getting them outside, instead of contributing to
> the growing ADHD disorder mounting in many countries. Try soccer,
> baseball, flying a kite, teach them a skill... get them OUTSIDE in the
> fresh air, learning things.

So is everything in your world mutually exclusive?

Or are you just trolling for hollers?

--
Derek

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." -- Steven
Wright
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:33:45 PM

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"...very few foods, even in Chicago, glow." - dubl-u
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:50:00 PM

In article <t26tjiyy5eed.dlg@gwinn.us>, Derek wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:03:30 GMT, S Yanoff wrote:
>
>> Hope this helps,
>> -Scott
>
> Sweet list, Scott! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to add a number of
> those to my Palm for our little one.

Yes, thanks, the kids had a good time last night. I think I'm going
to have to work with my two-year-old about what's the right amount
of force to use with a stylus, though. :->

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"A true leader now would tell Americans the unpopular truth:
that we use too much energy, that we are spoiled children
whose appetite for oil is making us weak and vulnerable."
- Bill Maher, "When You Ride Alone You Ride With bin Laden"
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:50:01 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 10:50:00 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:

> In article <t26tjiyy5eed.dlg@gwinn.us>, Derek wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:03:30 GMT, S Yanoff wrote:
>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> -Scott
>>
>> Sweet list, Scott! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to add a number of
>> those to my Palm for our little one.
>
> Yes, thanks, the kids had a good time last night. I think I'm going
> to have to work with my two-year-old about what's the right amount
> of force to use with a stylus, though. :->

Ah, someone else with the burden of teaching a toddler how to use
computers properly.

"Press the button. No, don't hit it with the mallet. Press it with
your finger. No, that's a fist. Use your finger..."

--
Derek

Sometimes the end doesn't justify the jeans.
March 2, 2005 6:30:40 PM

On 2005-03-02, John Doe <a.nonymous@abuse.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:04:14 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
>> years old or so) might enjoy?
>
> How about getting them outside, instead of contributing to
> the growing ADHD disorder mounting in many countries. Try soccer,
> baseball, flying a kite, teach them a skill... get them OUTSIDE in the
> fresh air, learning things.

How about both?

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

Ray Ingles napsal(a):
> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> years old or so) might enjoy?

Bejewelled, Vexed, Hmaki, Taipei, Othello, Battleships / SeaWar, Traffic
Just a selection of the ones I have on my card.
Mark

--
The last easy day was yesterday.
March 7, 2005 7:37:30 PM

On 2005-03-07, Marek Stanìk <marekdotstanek@dont.bother.to.spam> wrote:
> Ray Ingles napsal(a):
>> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
>> years old or so) might enjoy?
>
> Traffic
> Just a selection of the ones I have on my card.

Any more info/URL? That's not a lot to search on.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

In article <slrnd2p0qa.gag.google@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>,
google@asktoby.com says...
> On 2005-03-07, Marek Stanìk <marekdotstanek@dont.bother.to.spam> wrote:
> > Ray Ingles napsal(a):
> >> Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> >> years old or so) might enjoy?
> >
> > Traffic
> > Just a selection of the ones I have on my card.
>
> Any more info/URL? That's not a lot to search on.

A google search for 'palm traffic' finds it with the first hit.
<http://www.clickgamer.com/Download_Palm_Traffic_Jam&gt;

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! The kids are happier on a
long car ride now. :->

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Ironically, Microsoft's efforts to deny interoperability of Windows
with legitimate non-Microsoft applications have created an
environment in which Microsoft's programs interoperate efficiently
only with Internet viruses." -- Daniel Geer
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:17:54 AM

The message <d0himg$jaj$1@ns.felk.cvut.cz>
from =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Marek_Stan=ECk?=
<marekdotstanek@dont.bother.to.spam> contains these words:

> Ray Ingles napsal(a):
> > Any suggestions for games on the Palm that younger kids (say, five
> > years old or so) might enjoy?

> Bejewelled, Vexed, Hmaki, Taipei, Othello, Battleships / SeaWar, Traffic
> Just a selection of the ones I have on my card.
> Mark

A couple of my friends' kids love playing on my Palm. It can be funny
to watch other children watching them and wondering what it is. They
are obviously used to Gameboys etc but not something with a touch
sensitive screen. We had one little girl walk past several times one
day as she tried to work out what it was. We eventually showed her and
let have a try.

I find PIG Mirrors good for very small children - you draw on the screen
and it mirrors into the four quadrants.

Another that fascinated them was PUZZLE - the old sliding numbers puzzle
where you have to arrange numbers 1 to 15 into order. It can be done
very fast on the Palm and I think one got it down to about a minute.
His cousin soon got to a similar speed. Young children soon learn how
to do it and like to show off to grown ups.

MB
!