How many Quest levels have you beaten?

It occurs to me that a good measure of how much you've gotten out of
each class is whether or not you've beaten their quest level. Before
and after the quest level, there are lots of similarities between
class, but the quest levels are all unique to their respective classes.

So my current goal is to beat the Quest for all classes (trying to
Ascend those that don't die YASD after Quest) before I go after
Ascending all classes. So far I've beaten:

Archaelogist, Barbarian, Healer, Priest, Samurai, Tourist, Valkyrie,
and Wizard, with Ascensions of Samurai, Tourist, and Wizard.

So I still have left to do:

Caveman, Knight, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue.

I think I'll start with the Knight!
7 answers Last reply
More about quest levels beaten

    Cyde Weys wrote:
    > It occurs to me that a good measure of how much you've gotten out of
    > each class is whether or not you've beaten their quest level. Before
    > and after the quest level, there are lots of similarities between
    > class, but the quest levels are all unique to their respective classes.

    Indeed. But also to consider is that gaining one of the invocation
    artifacts *requires* completion of your quest. More on that in a moment.

    > So my current goal is to beat the Quest for all classes (trying to
    > Ascend those that don't die YASD after Quest) before I go after
    > Ascending all classes. So far I've beaten:

    Your goal puzzles me. In some classes, it is often better to delay the
    quest until your ascension kit is mostly filled out (Monk comes to mind
    here, and Caveman possibly too). In others, doing your quest is a good
    step in the direction of assembling the ascension kit and should usually
    happen when you meet the level requirement with reasonably low AC.

    In all cases, the quest is a necessary step towards the greater goal of
    ascension. You *have* ascended, so in theory you know what it takes -
    why not challenge yourself simply to go all the way with each class?

    I'll play along with this though, too. I've ascended the following
    classes playing alone: Valkyrie, Ranger, Priest, Monk, Knight, Healer,
    Samurai and Wizard. Of the remaining classes I believe I defeated the
    Rogue quest before YASD with a cockatrice corpse, with no others getting
    that far.

    -Ken

    Ken Cuvelier wrote:

    > In all cases, the quest is a necessary step towards the greater goal of
    > ascension. You *have* ascended, so in theory you know what it takes -
    > why not challenge yourself simply to go all the way with each class?

    Well that's my ultimate goal, but at least for me, it is FAR from a
    given that I will Ascend a character who completes the Quest level
    (damn you choking!) And since the Quest levels are the only real
    exclusive content for each character class, if you play every character
    through to the Quest and just Ascend one of them, you've seen all or
    most of the game. And this is a bit easier to accomplish than
    Ascending all 13.

    In article <1123169268.191212.46170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    >It occurs to me that a good measure of how much you've gotten out of
    >each class is whether or not you've beaten their quest level. Before
    >and after the quest level, there are lots of similarities between
    >class, but the quest levels are all unique to their respective classes.

    I've only done Ranger (many times, I've stopped counting), Wizard (once,
    I ascended the only wizard I've ever played to the quest), Valk (lost
    count of those too) and Barb.

    Nan Wang wrote:
    > I can recall only 1 post quest deaths from all ascended characters, with
    > 1 death in it. So in my humble opinion, if you can finished the quest, you
    > should be able to ascend.

    I agree, sort of. You can make the quest with no MC/MR/reflection.
    Once you've passed the Quest and have those, ascension is almost a
    matter of time and care. I've died once after the Quest (6 or 8
    ascensions) from abject stupidity (took off my MR and MC after Rodney
    was awake, he touch of deathed me).

    But I could see just wanting to get to the Quest in every class and not
    go through the boredom of Gehennom that many times.

    Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    > It occurs to me that a good measure of how much you've gotten out of
    > each class is whether or not you've beaten their quest level. Before
    > and after the quest level, there are lots of similarities between
    > class, but the quest levels are all unique to their respective classes.

    > So my current goal is to beat the Quest for all classes (trying to
    > Ascend those that don't die YASD after Quest) before I go after
    > Ascending all classes. So far I've beaten:

    I can recall only 1 post quest deaths from all ascended characters, with
    1 death in it. So in my humble opinion, if you can finished the quest, you
    should be able to ascend.

    I have ascended every class except Monk, which I've never played.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Cyde Weys wrote:
    > Ken Cuvelier wrote:
    >

    >>In all cases, the quest is a necessary step towards the greater goal of
    >>ascension. You *have* ascended, so in theory you know what it takes -
    >>why not challenge yourself simply to go all the way with each class?
    >

    > Well that's my ultimate goal, but at least for me, it is FAR from a
    > given that I will Ascend a character who completes the Quest level
    > (damn you choking!) And since the Quest levels are the only real
    > exclusive content for each character class, if you play every character
    > through to the Quest and just Ascend one of them, you've seen all or
    > most of the game. And this is a bit easier to accomplish than
    > Ascending all 13.

    I'm not really sure about that.

    I've ascended thirteen times, once with each class. In ten of
    those cases (all but Val, Bar, and Wiz), the first one that completed
    the Quest went all the way. (Six of them (Arc, Rog, Sam, Cav, Tou, and
    Hea), the first one that *saw* the Quest went all the way.)

    I killed a lot of valks and barbarians post-Quest before I
    finally managed to ascend a character (a knight, surprisingly), but,
    since that first ascension, the *only* character I've completed the
    Quest with and then failed to ascend was a wizard who attempted to eat a
    cockatrice corpse in the Valley. (I was trying to eat a long worm corpse
    stacked in the same square, and confirmed without actually reading the
    message. Oops.) She was at least as powerful at that point as the wizard
    that I actually *did* ascend, so I figure she would've ascended if I
    hadn't petrified her like an idiot.

    So, basically, my experience is that once you've got an
    ascension under your belt so you know what you're doing in the endgame,
    completing the Quest means that you should ascend as long as you avoid
    blatant stupidity. (Of course, avoiding blatant stupidity can be a major
    challenge in this game. Mmmm... cockatr

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    Cyde Weys schrieb:

    > It occurs to me that a good measure of how much you've gotten out of
    > each class is whether or not you've beaten their quest level. Before
    > and after the quest level, there are lots of similarities between
    > class, but the quest levels are all unique to their respective classes.
    >
    > So my current goal is to beat the Quest for all classes (trying to
    > Ascend those that don't die YASD after Quest) before I go after
    > Ascending all classes. So far I've beaten:
    >
    > Archaelogist, Barbarian, Healer, Priest, Samurai, Tourist, Valkyrie,
    > and Wizard, with Ascensions of Samurai, Tourist, and Wizard.
    >
    > So I still have left to do:
    >
    > Caveman, Knight, Monk, Ranger, and Rogue.
    >
    > I think I'll start with the Knight!

    I have completed the quest for: Valk, Wiz, Ranger, Monk, Samurai,
    Knight
    I have seen the quest but didn't complete for: Healer, Rogue, Arc,
    Priest
    I didn't see the quest for: Barb, Cav, Tourist

    never ascended but i intend to do so ;-)

    I agree with you, that you take most of the game when doing all the
    quests before starting to ascend your characters. Late-game characters
    tend to become fully-equipped stat-monsters.

    Regards

    Uli

Games Video Games