[Beginner] blocked at level 10

Dear all,
I'm stopped in nethack (falconeyes) at level 10. No stairways
down. By the way, after level 4 I can't find any stairs up anymore
either ... Any hint ? I've no digging wand: I would have tried to dig
the ground ...
Cheers,
Olivier

seraphim

Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd> wrote in news:42f24f06$0$922$8fcfb975
@news.wanadoo.fr:

> Dear all,
> I'm stopped in nethack (falconeyes) at level 10. No stairways
> down. By the way, after level 4 I can't find any stairs up anymore
> either ... Any hint ? I've no digging wand: I would have tried to dig
> the ground ...

Are you in the mines or in the regular dungeon?
If you are in the mines then you may be at the end of the mines, so
you'll have to go back to the main dungeon and find the other way down.

Olivier wrote:

> > A wand is fine, but a pick-axe is enough...
>
> That's a problem: if I a "apply" the pick axe, I only hit my very own
> self ?? Can't seem to be able to dig. ??

When it asks for a direction point to the wall not "."
To dig a pit dig ">". To dig a tunnel use the standard
direction keys "hjkl".

Can't find the stairs starting at level 4? That does not
make sense. If you arrive on a level by using the down
stairs you arrive on the up stairs. If you arrive on a
level by using the up stairs you arrive on the down
stairs. Only trap doors, holes and level teleport put
you anyways but the stairs. This sounds like you don't
recognize the "<" and ">" or you have your colors set
wrong.

Can't find the down stairs on any one level? Probably
a hidden door if you're in the regular dungeon, or you
have reached the bottom if you're in the mines. Search
all of the walls of every room for secret doors (or kick
the walls or use stethescope). In mines end there is
one extremely important item that should be found. Dig
down and if you can't dig a hole you've in mines end.

Olivier wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm stopped in nethack (falconeyes) at level 10. No stairways
> down. By the way, after level 4 I can't find any stairs up anymore
> either ... Any hint ? I've no digging wand: I would have tried to dig
> the ground ...
> Cheers,
> Olivier

Have you made sure nothing is resting atop the stairs? If there is, in
normal Nethack tiles at least, then on-screen it looks like the stairs
are missing unless you step on that space and notice "There is a
staircase here" message.

I'd check every spot on the level that has something resting on it.

- John H.

Hi Olivier!

Olivier schrieb:

> I'm stopped in nethack (falconeyes) at level 10. No stairways
> down. By the way, after level 4 I can't find any stairs up anymore
> either ... Any hint ? I've no digging wand: I would have tried to dig
> the ground ...

A wand is fine, but a pick-axe is enough...

Are you sure you are on level 4 in the same rooms where you came down
before? Maybe something is covering the stairs?

Regards
Ingo

Hi,

> A wand is fine, but a pick-axe is enough...

That's a problem: if I a "apply" the pick axe, I only hit my very own
self ?? Can't seem to be able to dig. ??
Already that's a pointer towards litterature :) !!
Thanks :)
Olivier

--
Well, in between I found a cockatrix that I ate :-( A statue
of this poor barbarian now ornates level 10 :-D

> Are you in the mines or in the regular dungeon?
> If you are in the mines then you may be at the end of the mines, so
> you'll have to go back to the main dungeon and find the other way down.

I think that's what is called the mines. Very regular stuff at the end
and no rooms, just a big kind of hall.
Ok, i'll try that :)
Best, O.

Olivier wrote:

> I think that's what is called the mines. Very regular stuff at the end
> and no rooms, just a big kind of hall.
> Ok, i'll try that :)
> Best, O.

If you are at the level we think you're at, you might go looking for six
secret doors.

Try digging down (>) first, to check you're really in the Mines. If you
are, you should have passed through a "Town" on your way down, with
watchmen, shops, etc.

If you haven't seen this town, you're in the main dungeon, and there
should be a staircase down, and you should be able to dig down.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On 8/4/05 4:30 PM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> If you haven't seen this town, you're in the main dungeon, and there
> should be a staircase down, and you should be able to dig down.

In some versions of the town, the upstairs and downstairs might be
placed such that it's not necessary to go through the town in order to
travel between them. Therefore, it's *conceivable* that the OP could be
at the end of the mines without having seen the town.

--
Kevin Wayne

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."
--Miracle Max

> If you are at the level we think you're at, you might go looking for six
> secret doors.

That's a lot more than what I've found : 0 = zero = none
I've tried to dig walls (floor isn't diggable by a wand )
but most are too hard to be dug ...
So I'll go up and down the main part ?

> Try digging down (>) first, to check you're really in the Mines. If you
> are, you should have passed through a "Town" on your way down, with
> watchmen, shops, etc.

I've seen it :)

Many thanks to all wko replied, understanding is slightly dawning
on this lost barbarian that I am :)
Cheers,
Olivier

Olivier wrote:

>> If you are at the level we think you're at, you might go looking for six
>> secret doors.
>

> That's a lot more than what I've found : 0 = zero = none
> I've tried to dig walls (floor isn't diggable by a wand )

Zap your wand of diggind down '>' and it'll dig unless the floor is too
hard.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> On 8/4/05 4:30 PM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>> If you haven't seen this town, you're in the main dungeon, and there
>> should be a staircase down, and you should be able to dig down.
>

> In some versions of the town, the upstairs and downstairs might be
> placed such that it's not necessary to go through the town in order to
> travel between them. Therefore, it's *conceivable* that the OP could be
> at the end of the mines without having seen the town.

But the level still doesn't resemble any other part of the Mines
(rectangular rooms and paths leading between rooms).

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

Zarel wrote:

> But the level still doesn't resemble any other part of the Mines
> (rectangular rooms and paths leading between rooms).

This sentence can be read in two ways...

Anyway, a map in the normal dungeon looks like several rectangular rooms
and paths leading between rooms. The Mines look differently: the levels
there are usually large, irregularly shaped caves.

I think you're confusing the Mines and the Dungeon of Doom.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

>> If you are at the level we think you're at, you might go looking for six
>> secret doors.
>
> That's a lot more than what I've found : 0 = zero = none
> I've tried to dig walls (floor isn't diggable by a wand )
> but most are too hard to be dug ...
> So I'll go up and down the main part ?
>
>> Try digging down (>) first, to check you're really in the Mines. If you
>> are, you should have passed through a "Town" on your way down, with
>> watchmen, shops, etc.
>
> I've seen it :)
>
> Many thanks to all wko replied, understanding is slightly dawning
> on this lost barbarian that I am :)
> Cheers,
> Olivier

If you've seen minetown, and you can't dig down any farther, You are at the
bottom of the mines, unless you were playing slashem. Not much to do here,
but there IS a chance at money if you look in the right place. HINT: you will
have to dig.

Olivier wrote:

> > If you are at the level we think you're at, you might go looking for six
> > secret doors.
>
> That's a lot more than what I've found : 0 = zero = none
> I've tried to dig walls (floor isn't diggable by a wand )
> but most are too hard to be dug ...

"Most" is a very important word here. If it takes trying
every wall in every direction to find the few exceptions,
that that is what you should do. There are several
alternate versions of mine end.

> So I'll go up and down the main part ?

After you find the crucially important stone, yes.

> > Try digging down (>) first, to check you're really in the Mines. If you
> > are, you should have passed through a "Town" on your way down, with
> > watchmen, shops, etc.
>
> I've seen it :)
>
> Many thanks to all wko replied, understanding is slightly dawning
> on this lost barbarian that I am :)

The town is important because it has the only guaranteed
shrine for a very long ways. Your alignment or not there
are valuable things to do there.

Doug Freyburger wrote on 6 Aug 2005 09:37:35 -0700:
> "Most" is a very important word here. If it takes trying
> every wall in every direction to find the few exceptions,
> that that is what you should do. There are several
> alternate versions of mine end.

Or you could, you know, go look at a map. That's what I normally do when
I'm lost in RL.

http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer/minesend.html

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> After you find the crucially important stone, yes.

Since he didn't even know how to recognise the Mines,
I doubt if this will make any sense to him.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Rast wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote on 6 Aug 2005 09:37:35 -0700:

>> "Most" is a very important word here. If it takes trying
>> every wall in every direction to find the few exceptions,
>> that that is what you should do. There are several
>> alternate versions of mine end.

> Or you could, you know, go look at a map. That's what I normally do
> when I'm lost in RL.

> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer/minesend.html

Since the OP dodn't even know what the Mines look like, I doubt that he
wants to be spoiled. Then again, I might be wrong, but I still think a
spoiler warning would've been appropriate.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>

>>After you find the crucially important stone, yes.
>

> Since he didn't even know how to recognise the Mines,
> I doubt if this will make any sense to him.

Well it doesn't :p
But, but, I learn how to recognise things :)
I asked after all, and I still have things to learn :)
Thanks !
Olivier